Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

I'm sure this has been discussed in depth, but I couldn't find much on the search function. Just curious what the overland community in general feels is best as far as a transmission. Standard or auto. In the rock. Rawlings's world, its by and large autos, but I'm curious as to what you guys think. Admin, please move to the appropriate place if this isn't it.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I watched a in depth 'discussion' on the topic from Ronny Dahl not to long ago.

I will always go auto.. but that is because a daily driver over here means you spend much time in traffic.. and nothing beats an auto in traffic :P.. Got stuck today a lot in the company car.. glad it is a hybrid and its automatic by default.

Reactions: southernfire97

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mine is a standard...just they way it came..when you want older stuff you dont always get to choose..I do wish I had overdrive..its just a 4 speed with very low 1st gear.

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Well the reason I ask is, I'm considering selling my truck and my TJ and buying a Taco. Not strictly for the overland side, but also for reliability and gas mileage. I get around 12-14 out of either of those vehicles, and that's not loaded down with gear. We will be keeping my wife's JKU, but I have to have some sort of truck, to haul the inevitable things that goes with life. I won't be buying a new vehicle, probably more around the 2010-2013 year range. I've always leaned towards autos, just for the comfort factor of it, but didn't know if I was missing something on the overland side.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

For me its a manual gear change a lot more advantages than disadvantages.
You can choose the gear and not the box. If you want to pull away in second you can.
You can bump start the vehicle if needs be.
You can tow it at a higher speed with a manual.
No electronics to go wrong with isolator switch etc.
If you lose the clutch you can still change gear.

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

I wish I had a manual in mine but they are harder to come by that way. I also work from home so I DD mine but it's very limited.

Can't say as to overlanding if there would be a preference. I just like the control of a manual.

Mitchapalooza

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maryland
Member #

They both have their pros and cons, but I would say ultimately it depends on your personal preference and terrain in which you're operating. If it's a daily driver in a stop and go traffic environment, you're left leg will certainly thank you for an automatic!

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Well I'm a flatlander (south MS), and I only work a few miles from home, so the workday traffic isn't an issue.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

As a lover of manuals, autos have come a long way.

You can tow at highway speeds with autos, but it comes down to keeping it cool. And just because a truck has a tow package on it, doesn't mean that cooler is big enough. You can overheat a manual just as quick. (Ever wonder why big rigs have coolers on the back side of the sleepers?) It's just a manual is going to complain less.

Proper service life's and not being excessively hard on them, you can see an auto go a long time.

From a comfort view, autos take that every time. The shifts are less noticeable (unless you've done something like I have) which makes the ride smoother.

You can choose gears in an auto just like a manual, depending on vehicles. My DD with a 4 speed auto has D321. I can keep it in first if I want to.

I compare a manual vs autos as choosing the manual because it's simply more fun. True there is a more efficient and quicker way to transmit power, but it's sooo much more boring

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

They both have their pros and cons. It's all on the personal preference and driving habits.

Myself I love the feel of "one-ness" I get with a manual transmission in my ride. Others are just as happy not dealing with the shifting and enjoying the views without wondering if they're in the right gear, am I going to lug out if the person in from stop on this incline. No less forgetting to leave it in 1st if you park on any incline and the brakes fail as they can with larger the wheel the easier the roll down the hill with that.

But I love it.

I think the only real benefit of a M/T is the cost most modern A/Ts are just as fuel efficient. Cant speak for their reliability though.

Sent from my iPhone using Choppa talk

Reactions: chuckoverland