First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hopefully this is in the right spot.

I’m wondering how to go about re-opening a trail... and if it’s already in the process of being reopened.

I understand Stag Hill was a legal place to drive at one point. It’s in such a great location and could really be a destination for all types of 4x4 enthusiasts.

Now there seems to be a construction project going on and when I drove past the other day it looked like one side was open… is it being reopened?

If it is not currently being reopened I am curious if it is possible to make that happen and how.

I know there’s some cars and trash that should be removed.
There’s also the local/ Native American community whose support would be a must.
Due to that construction project going on over there could prevent some sections from being reopened.
I guess other possible questions include who would manage it and how to fund it.

I don’t know the feasibility of this, nor do I know the interest in it. I’ll tag some people below I hope might be interested or knowledgeable but I’d like to hear how it can be done. Thank you!

@tacoclifford
@diabetiktaco
@MuckSavage
@NJRadioGuy
@Cpol
@Road
@Stevwhit
@LGlx

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I’m wondering how to go about re-opening a trail... and if it’s already in the process of being reopened.

I understand Stag Hill was a legal place to drive at one point. It’s in such a great location and could really be a destination for all types of 4x4 enthusiasts.

Now there seems to be a construction project going on and when I drove past the other day it looked like one side was open… is it being reopened?

If it is not currently being reopened I am curious if it is possible to make that happen and how.

There’s also the local/ Native American community whose support would be a must.
Due to that construction project going on over there could prevent some sections from being reopened.
I guess other possible questions include who would manage it and how to fund it.

I don’t know the feasibility of this, nor do I know the interest in it. I’ll tag some people below I hope might be interested or knowledgeable but I’d like to hear how it can be done. Thank you!

@tacoclifford
@diabetiktaco
@MuckSavage
@NJRadioGuy
@Cpol
@Road
@Stevwhit
@LGlx
I've never been since it's been illegal as long as I've known about it. The trash clean up things are funny. We went to organize a major clean up in the pines and nobody would take the garbage. I called the town, county, state, etc. Nobody would take it. It's almost as if us cleaning up was more of a hassle to the state than anything. They suggested we purchase a dumpster which def. wasn't going to happen on our own dime.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

@tacoclifford
@diabetiktaco
@MuckSavage
@NJRadioGuy
@Cpol
@Road
@Stevwhit
@LGlx
I've never been since it's been illegal as long as I've known about it. The trash clean up things are funny. We went to organize a major clean up in the pines and nobody would take the garbage. I called the town, county, state, etc. Nobody would take it. It's almost as if us cleaning up was more of a hassle to the state than anything. They suggested we purchase a dumpster which def. wasn't going to happen on our own dime.
I wonder how the OB guys out west did it

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Some one donated the dumpster… you have to reach out to some one who would collect it as a write off.. I will try to get a list of your local dumpster company in that area…

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Not saying it's "officially" open, but after a little research, I read this on the inner-webs;

"Local Trail from NJ to NY
Submitted on Mar 20, 2021
Glad I didn’t read the other reviews before heading over here. I wouldn’t have taken the ride if I thought it was closed. It was open and a pretty awesome little local trail!"

It seems there were concrete barriers which have been removed. Question is, by whom? Is it known who ordered the closure? (Local municipality, NJDEP, etc?)

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Not saying it's "officially" open, but after a little research, I read this on the inner-webs;

"Local Trail from NJ to NY
Submitted on Mar 20, 2021
Glad I didn’t read the other reviews before heading over here. I wouldn’t have taken the ride if I thought it was closed. It was open and a pretty awesome little local trail!"

It seems there were concrete barriers which have been removed. Question is, by whom? Is it known who ordered the closure? (Local municipality, NJDEP, etc?)
This is REALLY interesting!! I wonder who posted this and who is controlling the concrete blocks

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS

@tacoclifford
@diabetiktaco
@MuckSavage
@NJRadioGuy
@Cpol
@Road
@Stevwhit
@LGlx
It’s funny you say that. A few years ago we did a pretty decent sized clean up in the pines multiple pickups overflowing with trash. And same as you. No one wanted to take it. We hit every ranger station we could and no one had even a dumpster for us to leave it In. We ended up talking a restaurant into letting us use his dumpster.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Iv been there once or twice before I really understood the damage wheeling in an illegal place does. But even if the town or county do open up that area for public use, I’m still not certain that it would be a great idea to go there. There are certain groups of people that see that land as theirs regardless of what anyone says. I’m only about 20 minutes from there and Iv heard some pretty rough stories of people getting robbed, hidden spike strips under the leaves. Wires strung from trees so atv riders and dirtbike riders get clothes lined. I’m not sure if that’s all folklore or if it’s factual

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Iv been there once or twice before I really understood the damage wheeling in an illegal place does. But even if the town or county do open up that area for public use, I’m still not certain that it would be a great idea to go there. There are certain groups of people that see that land as theirs regardless of what anyone says. I’m only about 20 minutes from there and Iv heard some pretty rough stories of people getting robbed, hidden spike strips under the leaves. Wires strung from trees so atv riders and dirtbike riders get clothes lined. I’m not sure if that’s all folklore or if it’s factual
I hope it’s folklore. I’m sure that stuff wouldn’t happen if people going there weren’t trashing it

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I hope it’s folklore. I’m sure that stuff wouldn’t happen if people going there weren’t trashing it

Your probably right. It is a big party/bonfire spot

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

That’s a shame. It would be cool to legally camp in there. I heard there might be a view of a distant NYC skyline in some places

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS

That’s a shame. It would be cool to legally camp in there. I heard there might be a view of a distant NYC skyline in some places
I could believe it. Some spots get “high” in elevation. Nyc is not all that far from there.