SR5 wearing me out

• HTML tutorial

rhightowerjr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
I've researched and researched and then researched more. Here is my struggle. My 2013 SR5 is my daily driver and I've got almost 120K miles on it currently and it's beating me to death on the pavement. Ultimately I want to get this thing up to speed for some overlanding trips with my family but I've got to get this thing riding better. I bought some 5100 shocks for the front and year and haven't had time to put them on. Now, I'm thinking about a 2 to 3 inch lift but then I know I'll need bigger tires. Toytec is the direction I'm leaning in but what would you suggest that will give me the best on pavement ride, some extra lift for leveling, looks and off road capability and feel real I left and capable off road? You all rock and I'm excited to get out in the woods and explore with my family. My daughter just turned 2 and LOVES the outdoors. Thank God because her mother doesn't but wants to be a part of the fun

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

Switching to any medium duty off-road spring will improve the ride as far as 3" or level that is per opinion, for instance I love the 3" but my wife doesn't and since it's hers it'll just be a level. The shocks are for maintaining contact with the ground and then dampening the compression but it won't change a stiff "truck like" ride. As far as bigger tire, they are always better off-road, it is once again only opinion most people in overlanding are running 33's, I for one love 35's although it's a lot of work to put them on toyotas. Best of luck deciding lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

rhightowerjr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
Appreciate that. I just sold my 1998 TJ that I build to spend all the time off road. Rear locker, 35s, wench, all kinds of goodies. I took my rear seat out because it was just me and my bride. Well, after the little one became part of the family, things changed. I'm still very much drawn to the trail but just with a few additional "creature comforts" for an older dude and his 2 little girls. I doubt I would ever run bigger than 33s due to the fact it's my daily driver but maybe. I've got Bridgestone ATs on there know and they're actually a great tire on and off the road. Just a little small for my taste. I've just about got this thing paid off and it's taking everything I've got to not trade it in for a new TRD off road edition and get that crawl control! Bout to fire down on an FJ for my wife.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

I've got a 2000 SR5 and Bilsteins front and OME on the rear for 2" lift and a nice upgrade. I would check out the 4Runner forum and see what they are doing. I did notice that after the upgrade it felt better with more weight in the truck.

Reactions: Mike G

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
The OME springs were a big improvement over stock on my 1999 4Runner. The ride was softer unloaded and load capacity was greatly improved.

Adding the Bilsteins helped as well.

-M

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
4runners can't use blocks as they have coils front and rear. OME coils give a smoother ride, 5100's give a controlled ride, tires that are not "E" load rated and inflated to the maximum tire pressure or 50 series low profile tires will help with the ride, too. Just because the tire says 80psi does not mean that you have to drive around with 80psi in it. I see a lot of SUV's with too much air pressure in their tires when being used as a daily driver. The max pressure is good for the rated load carrying capacity, so let out some air and chalk your tire to see if you have too much or too little air in the tire for the load that you are carrying at the moment. Empty SUV can ride around with just 32psi daily and then when going fully loaded bump it up to the max.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

5100's ride better than stock for sure. If you get a taller spring for the front so that you don't need to preload you will maintain that ride quality. With that being said I had 5100's with OME spring and my wife hated riding off road it was bouncy and a little rough. I didn't mind it at all. But I'm trying to make this as family friendly as possible in efforts to go out as much as I can. I upgraded to a full bypass shock. It rides like a dream everywhere I go(with some adjusting of settings). So much also depends on driving style, fast vs slow. 5100's with quality springs are a good place to start. If you go with an aftermarket leaf packet it will more than likely make the rear very firm without a load. If you decide to go with a higher end adjustable shock there is a lot of reading to do before hand.

Also I'm not a fan of Toytec. To many of my friends have had issues with some of there branded items.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Progressive vs Digressive:

Progressive dampening progressively gets more firm as the shock shaft Velocity increases. Digressive shocks have more firm dampening at lower shaft velocity, and softer dampening at higher shaft speeds.

Progressive rate CO's ride much softer on the street, and off road at speeds below 20 mph (depending on terrain), while the Digressive CO's give a more firm ride on the street, and at speeds below 20 mpg off road (once again, depending on terrain). Off road at speeds over 25 mph, the digressive shocks are great. You can re valve the digressive shocks to be a little softer in the "low speed" dampening, which gives a better on road ride, and still maintains the high speed dampening characteristics.