Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Tennessee, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
ODell
Member #

I purchased a new to me 2018 4Runner with an Icon stage 2 suspension. It squeaks like crazy when I turn the wheel as well as breaking. I have greased the UCA and still can’t isolate the squeak. Is this normal and any suggestions on a fix?

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Does it make noises while engaging the brakes? Or while turning the steering wheel? Both sides or one side only?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Does this vehicle have rubbers on the springs? Are they dirty?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Is the Icon suspension using ball joints or Uni Ball? Neither should squeak. Most of better suspension manufactures use Uni Ball instead of ball joints. That in itself is a double edge sword. Uni Ball gives more travel where a ball joint will bind and can break. A ball joint has less travel but lasts longer and is impervious to dirt. Uni ball is exposed.
If you have Uni ball, they wear out faster and need to be inspected for play. The same goes for Heim Joints. I've had ball joints hold up to my abuse for over 10 years, Uni Ball...depends on how hard I beat them so, say 1-3 years.

Figure out what you have and research how to inspect it. Without actually being there hearing the noise, all anyone can do over a forum is guess. That can end up being real expensive. Noises suck to diagnose.
If it squeaks while turning, and not moving, suspect everything that moves when you steer. Test all parts, don't stop when you find something broken. Most steering/suspension parts have the same life span. Don't be surprised if you have more than one thing broken.

Reactions: ZRex

JaSC

Rank I

Enthusiast I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
JaC
Last Name
att
Service Branch
Army
Small possibility, but check front sway bar to ensure it is not rubbing against the two radiator frame supports. Could be both are rubbing or just one causing squeak.