Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida, United States
First Name
Lictor
Last Name
Figueroa
Member #

So I went a trail last weekend and got the truck a bit dirty. I have not been able give it a good cleaning yet. The problem I’m having now is that my leaf springs are creating so much squeaking noise! I hosed them down and got as much mud off of them but it didn’t seem to really help. It’s a 2020 truck so I don’t have old or worn out springs. How or what do I need to do in order to get rid of that squeaking noise from the leaf springs??

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
If it started all suddenly after the trip, I’d check for a rub point- metal on metal or even a stone that could have wedged between. I had a similar situation where a pebble bounced up a wedged near a rotor. Made a horrible noise till I found it and removed it. You could also have damaged a leaf spring bracket and not be able to see it.

Reactions: Fig33

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Pressure wash and grease, rubber pads that attach to the ends of each leaf. It is pretty much normal on rear leafs when off roading.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I found in my area, lubing them traps sand. Sand grinds the finish then they rust and squeak. Everyone of my squeaking spring packs had rust. I tear down the leaf pack, sand and paint. There's Teflon (I think that's what it is) inserts you can put between the leaf's to minimize friction. I never had an issue after that.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Thank you all for your advice! Definitely gonna take care of it!
Crazy for a 2020. But...get a buddy to bounce the truck with you under it....(motor off, park, emergency brake on and a parachute) listen and see if you can isolate it. Probably a bushing that got wet and dried with some crap on it. Look at the Leaf spring shackle bushings if so equipped. You can spray them down, one at a time to see if it stops the squeak. If it stops, that is the one to repair or replace.
Zim