ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Well, this year for spring break, my son, a friend and I went to Death Valley for 5 days and traveled almost 350 miles throughout the park. We went to Reward Mine, Cerro Gordo, Hunter Mountain, Racetrack Playa, Teakettle Junction, Lippencott Mine, Ubehebe Crater, Rainbow Valley, Eureka Dunes and Alabama Hills. It was a beautiful, fun, memorable overland trip....Soooo, I want to do it again, spending more time in the Stovepipe Wells, Furnace creek areas for a few days this time.

The trip this year was supposed to be a larger group, however, some of our traveling group got sick and it turned into the Oregon Trail, with only two vehicles going out of the planned 8. @RockRanger Hopefully, you can make the event in 2018! I am planning the trip for March 25/Sunday/leave through Thursday March 29th/Thursday/return.

Sunday March 25th: I am planning to leave Fresno on Sunday March 25th, traveling through Bakersfield, up towards Lone Pine. It was nice going through Lone Pine last time and gassing up, eating and then hitting up Reward Mine in the afternoon before bunking down in Alabama Hills. This will more than likely be my plan for this trip as well.

Monday March 26th: Travel from Alabama Hills to Cerro Gordo mid morning for a tour and visit. Eat lunch and then head towards Highway 190. Stop at Father Crowley Point Overlook, then travel to Stovepipe Wells and Mesquite Flats Sand Dunes. I then plan to camp near Furnace Creek (either in a designated CG or Dry if possible, any ideas?)

Tuesday March 27th: Drive from camp spot to 20 Mules Road and around the trail, then to Dante's View. Then, drive to either Harmony Borax Works or to Badwater, still TBD. From here, we I plan to drive towards Ubehebe Crater (perhaps making it or camping for night.) Find Camp, TBD

Wednesday March 28th: Drive through and visit Ubehebe Crater, then drive to Teakettle Junction, Racetrack Playa and Lippencott mine. Camp there overnight.

Thursday March 29th: Travel from Lippencott Mine area back to Lone Pine to replenish and then head home.

This is all a tentative schedule for now. I'd love if some other OB members would critique my itinerary or give me some suggestions. Or...Join us!

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

Well, this year for spring break, my son, a friend and I went to Death Valley for 5 days and traveled almost 350 miles throughout the park. We went to Reward Mine, Cerro Gordo, Hunter Mountain, Racetrack Playa, Teakettle Junction, Lippencott Mine, Ubehebe Crater, Rainbow Valley, Eureka Dunes and Alabama Hills. It was a beautiful, fun, memorable overland trip....Soooo, I want to do it again, spending more time in the Stovepipe Wells, Furnace creek areas for a few days this time.

The trip this year was supposed to be a larger group, however, some of our traveling group got sick and it turned into the Oregon Trail, with only two vehicles going out of the planned 8. @RockRanger Hopefully, you can make the event in 2018! I am planning the trip for March 25/Sunday/leave through Thursday March 29th/Thursday/return.

Sunday March 25th: I am planning to leave Fresno on Sunday March 25th, traveling through Bakersfield, up towards Lone Pine. It was nice going through Lone Pine last time and gassing up, eating and then hitting up Reward Mine in the afternoon before bunking down in Alabama Hills. This will more than likely be my plan for this trip as well.

Monday March 26th: Travel from Alabama Hills to Cerro Gordo mid morning for a tour and visit. Eat lunch and then head towards Highway 190. Stop at Father Crowley Point Overlook, then travel to Stovepipe Wells and Mesquite Flats Sand Dunes. I then plan to camp near Furnace Creek (either in a designated CG or Dry if possible, any ideas?)

Tuesday March 27th: Drive from camp spot to 20 Mules Road and around the trail, then to Dante's View. Then, drive to either Harmony Borax Works or to Badwater, still TBD. From here, we I plan to drive towards Ubehebe Crater (perhaps making it or camping for night.) Find Camp, TBD

Wednesday March 28th: Drive through and visit Ubehebe Crater, then drive to Teakettle Junction, Racetrack Playa and Lippencott mine. Camp there overnight.

Thursday March 29th: Travel from Lippencott Mine area back to Lone Pine to replenish and then head home.

This is all a tentative schedule for now. I'd love if some other OB members would critique my itinerary or give me some suggestions. Or...Join us!
I'm in!

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

@ArmyofMike I backpacked DV a couple of times in the spring and it was Awesome. Check out Marble Canyon for a day hike if you have time.

Edit: If I still have some vacation time by spring, I would like to join you guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmyofMike