Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Been doing a bit of research. At first the SPOT X seemed like a better deal as the initial cost, and subscription costs had me sold on the SPOT X. Then I looked at their coverage map. None and/or very little coverage in the northern regions of North America. This is where this pair of late 60 somethings will be headed so what would be the point of the SPOT? The Garmin InReach MIni is in my future. Anyone else have any random thoughts on this backed up by your experience with either unit?

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Been doing a bit of research. At first the SPOT X seemed like a better deal as the initial cost, and subscription costs had me sold on the SPOT X. Then I looked at their coverage map. None and/or very little coverage in the northern regions of North America. This is where this pair of late 60 somethings will be headed so what would be the point of the SPOT? The Garmin InReach MIni is in my future. Anyone else have any random thoughts on this backed up by your experience with either unit?
I dont with either of those, but I do have the Zoleo which is similar, with sos button and checkin. what i like the most about it is that any messaging runs off the phone (you can use the SOS or checkin button on the device itself or your phone). Uses cell and iridium when cellular isnt available. Up north in the mountains with densly forrested area I have never been without service.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I have the Inreach mini and like it in spite of my general disdain for all things Garmin, LOL. It is relatively simple, works well, and you can turn on and off on the subscription plan if you are going to be idle for a month or more.

Reactions: John Bishop

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I like my SPOT X, takes patience, but has worked from AZ through NV up to the cascades in WA above Leavenworth. Then East to Couer d’Alene and Sandpoint back down to Gunnison, CO back to AZ

Reactions: scott_OR

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We went with the full size in-reach, simply because it can work with a phone, but it is fully standalone and has gps mapping features that I can use for backcountry travel without the luxury of a vehicle, whether that be by choice (Backpacking) or necessity (emergency egress, i.e. cut off by wildfire and having to abandon vehicle.) so far service has been good, we went with the basic cheap plan, as we don't use it for any other purpose than emergency, and then I don't care if I have to pay for message or tracking overages.

Reactions: er waddell

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
We have a Spot X and have never had an issue during our travels in the lower 48. I use the tracking when I travel alone so my wife can see where I'm at. We got it a couple years ago and went with it instead of the Garmin because of the lower price. The Garmin is supposed to have a better coverage area, but...

Here's the coverage map from the Spot website. The light blue is SOS and 2-way comms. The orange is SOS and 1-way. We don't plan on world travel, but may want to do an Alaska trip someday. I think (hope) it would be fine for that.
spot-x-coverage.png

Reactions: El-Dracho

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

I have an Inreach Mini with the basic $11.99 plan. I use it send location and messages to my wife when I travel by myself or with our son. The phone app works well for mapping waypoints and sending text messages. I like how small it is. I can clip it to my vest or backpack when I go fly fishing.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
When SPOT released their emergency messenger years ago, I made my first experiences with such a GPS messenger, the SPOT of the first generation. Purchased for a trans-Asia trip in which at that time was a bit more adventurous than it is today you can imagine. That SPOT Gen1 device was already very robust, easy to use and only slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes. The device has convinced me.

Of course, since then, a lot has changed technologically. Now we have so many of these small and useful comms devices. The range of functions has also increased significantly. While the basic functions are mostly the same for many of the GPS messengers. The difference between the messengers is often in the useful additional functions some offer, such as two way communication, weather data, maps, indvidual messsages, connectivity to smartfones etc., live tracking, flashlight function, compass, calendar, sun and moon times, stopwatch or alarm clock, integrated altimeter and much more. Also some devices offer different techniques for example for the emergency call, such as several escalation levels for the emergency call and various alarms (crash, dead man function). So it really depends on what you are looking for. The market today offers a wide range of different devices.

It also depends on the region you go. For example, not all devices are available everywhere or are part of the official rescue chain (for example PLBs as another SOS device). I would really take a close look at all available devices before deciding. If you are only interested in comparing SPOT X and inReach Mini, then I would take for example a close look at the following points:

SPOT devices using the Globalstar network provides coverage but not everywhere. Some areas have no coverage or limited coverage. For example, parts of the Indian subcontinent, popular with some overlanders, and parts of Africa are not covered with regard to SOS and 1way messaging. There are different zones, for example 2way messaging has other coverage areas. It's best to check carefully with your travel plans to see if the destination area is covered. Coverage map was already shown above and can be found also here: SPOT Satellite Coverage Map | Saved by SPOT

Garmin inReach uses the well-known Iridium network which offers worldwide coverage. Also, other devices such as Bivy or Somewhere use the Iridium network. With regard to Iridium there are only some restrictions, here due to embargo restrictions (e.g. Iran and Sudan as far as I know). Btw, I recently came across another device, the ProteGear A*LIVE device which works also on the basis of Iridium and has an additional connectivity feature, it combines satellite and cell phone network. It was developed by a German company especially for mountaineers. Even has a deadman function. I don´t know if it is available in other markets.

In addition, I would look at the combinability with other devices. For example, if you already use Garmin devices, then the inReach has possibilities to connect with other Garmin products.

Otherwise, I would just take a look at the devices that are on the shortlist and hold them in my hand. It's like a radio or a telephone, not everyone gets along well with every system, the feel, the operation, etc.

Exciting and versatile topic. Looking forward to the further exchange of experiences with the devices here.

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
I use the Garmin 700i with inreach. I can use the gps on my tablet. I can also use the maps that are on the device without my tablet. I take it with me when I hike etc.
Most of our travels are out of cell phone service and the ability to send messages with attached gps coordinates are very useful.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Same here I have the InReach mini - good plan price and great coverage, text messages, weather and pretty small - clip it in my motorcycle jacket when out camping, clip it on my pack when hiking and in the rig when overlanding and exploring..

scott_OR

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Pendleton, OR, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

I have a SpotX Bluetooth that pairs with my iPhone. I can send and receive messages with their app even when I don’t have cell or wifi. But, it can take awhile especially if you are in a heavily forested area. The price is good. I can send unlimited “check in” messages without it counting on my monthly message allotment.

Tom Cole

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Weatherford, Texas, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cole
Member #

I have used the in-reach for years. The texting feature allows my daughter with type 1 diabetes to go on trips and keeping mom informed of numbers.

Buddas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Amelia Island, Florida, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Butters
I have used the InReach Mini for almost a year. It worked perfectly to map my location while floating the canyons in Big Bend Natl Park, and it worked equally well in the Boundary Waters in MN.
I'm going to transition to the GPS86 Series Garmin soon and sell my Mini as I also spend time in coastal areas, and I'd like to have everything on one screen versus using the Mini with my iPhone.