SPOT vs APRS? Why Not Both.

• HTML tutorial

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I've been asked by several people what the advantage of APRS is over Spot. The truth is they really fill different roles, with some overlap.

This video shows a way to blend the two services together, which is very slick. The gist is an iOS application on a phone or tablet scrapes your telemetry data from the Spot website, and uploads it into the APRS-IS.

In order for this to work "always" you would need to leave an iOS device behind, in a location with internet data. However this is still pretty slick.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

OK, I'm a nob with APRS but I have been meaning to upgrade my radio to include it.

Why would you need a spot to track you? Doesn't the APRS do that every time you key the mic? Or is it simply to avoid having to?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
APRS runs in the background. It has nothing to do with keying the mic. APRS doesn't work in places like Mexico if there are no repeaters to ping. Spot can work on your person and not just your vehicle. I am not a fan of the Spot but I am a huge fan of the InReach Explorer. I prefer the ability for two-way communication. Spot is better than nothing, though.

While you are running APRS you are also broadcasting your location to the world. Whereas with a Spot device you can pick and choose who can see you.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Rodger that. I have a Delorme InReach. Similar app for that one too?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Rodger that. I have a Delorme InReach. Similar app for that one too?
The app listed above now supports the InReach devices. There is a fee to support it just like the Spot. Other than maybe not paying Delorme to show your tracks I am not sure why someone would want to share their Spot/InReach data on APRS.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I'm going to get an APRS mobile HAM radio eventually. Just because I think it's neato. A Spot might be good to have as well. We do a bunch of remote overlanding with kids, so it could potentially save the day.

-M

Chris460

Rank 0

Contributor I

Playing with APRS too. Coverage can become spotty when you are out of range for the next repeater (2m/70cm). Running a TM-D710 in my rig. Have no it been able to make many contacts. Anyone interested in setting a time for a QSO?

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Using APRS can be ideal as most rigs come with the ability built in (which like some of us older generation Hams - had to use small TNC's like a TinyTrak)
The other thing is, not all locations have coverage - not sure what its like in USA but certainly in UK there is large gaps in coverage (I run one of the iGates and Digipeater's)

SPoT on the other hand, like mentioned above works in a similar way but it uses the Sat system which is a paid service - advantage of that system is, that it generally works anywhere globally (check coverage area on their website)

If you have the ability to run both, most ideal as then anyone (Ham or Not) can join in and follow you :)

Kev

todop

Rank 0

Traveler I

I was looking around the internet for APRS vs Spot and came here.
I was thinking how good will be two aprs devices(144.800 and 145.825) vs spot ,one for terrestrial and one for satelite aprs.
You get two way aprs on the terrestrial one and one way(twoway??) on a satellite ,but spot is one way.

This is Coverage and the ISS is always easy to spot.

http://www.aprs.org/aprs-satellite-igate-antennas.html
And I was thinking about thd chinese pocket aprs with 1W .

https://www.sainsonic.com/ap510-aprs-tracker-vhf-with-gps-bluetooth-thermometer-tf-card-support-aprsdroid.html

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I was looking around the internet for APRS vs Spot and came here.
I was thinking how good will be two aprs devices(144.800 and 145.825) vs spot ,one for terrestrial and one for satelite aprs.
You get two way aprs on the terrestrial one and one way(twoway??) on a satellite ,but spot is one way.

This is Coverage and the ISS is always easy to spot.

http://www.aprs.org/aprs-satellite-igate-antennas.html
And I was thinking about thd chinese pocket aprs with 1W .

https://www.sainsonic.com/ap510-aprs-tracker-vhf-with-gps-bluetooth-thermometer-tf-card-support-aprsdroid.html
All of that looks interesting but for most probably too difficult to figure out. I would just buy a Delorme InReach if you want world coverage and two way communication. One way there are a few other options besides the Spot.

Reactions: todop