TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
We've been looking at something to use for communication when we're out of cell range. We've about settled on the SPOT Gen 3 just for the piece of mind if we break down, get severely injured, whatever. I kinda like it because I can activate for the time we're gone and not have a yearly contract.
So my question is, has anyone used this or have experience with it?

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Had a gen 1 and can‘t complain about the hardware. Had a couple unfortunate events early on (10+ years ago) with the service/support that caused me to ultimately shelve it. Please report back with your experiences with the device; I am really interested in how it works for you.

Reactions: El-Dracho

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
Like mentioned, we haven't bought one yet. Still looking for reviews/advice. I was also looking at the Bivystik for satellite texting. There's a lot of options now over the old personal distress signals

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I noticed you had not purchased yet after poking send ;) Check out this bivystick thread and the comms section in general. Let us know what you decide and your experiences!

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
After reading the bivystik thread and the more I read on the Bivystik we may go that way. I'm not tech savy enough to even attempt to do what you did. So many choices. lol

Whatever we end up with, I'll post why we bought what we did and our feeling about it.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’d look at the inreach as well, don’t know anything about it but it is a Garmin device (which I like) and does not require phone/tablet.
One of my long time overlanding buddies is in DFW and does the long drive North several times a year for our rendezvous in the Rockies, etc.; he carries an iridium satphone just in case...

Reactions: TexasGMG

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,
Some years ago, I had the first generation spot with me on a long trip. Compared to today's devices that one is of course a bit bulky, but a good device, robust, simple and it does what it should ... I would buy a spot for SOS, tracking and messaging again, then the latest one of course. As mentioned before, there are other systems on the market beside the SPOT. E.g. the Garmin inReach which seems to me that it is also a good device. Maybe it depends also on the geographical area you intend to travel, different systems, different coverage. Check out the different (monthly/ yearly) plans you need for the devices.
Safe travels,
Bjoern

Reactions: TexasGMG and Ubiety

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation SPOTs. I deactivated my service about a year ago because the company kept upping annual rates with no warning other than when I opened my bank account and saw a 280 dollar charge on my account, when I first started using the service it was under 200 dollars. Year by year they crept up till I had had enough. And you can't just cancel your subscription online you have to call someone that gives you the sales run around for the better part of an hour before finally canceling your membership.

Now that they've done what Garmin has done with the InReach as far as being able to turn it on monthly I may use it again.

As far as hardware. It's pretty simple gear. In my experience with the different generations the 1st Gen had the most dropped messages/tracking pins but had the longest battery life but was also much bulkier. I used it more than once for 3 week long trips with daily tracking and end of day check in messages and batteries lasted past the end of the trip.

The 2nd generation had the worst battery life, I never used it like the 1st gen unit but I was replacing batteries in it monthly even with light use.

3rd generation is between the two as far as battery life goes. Plenty of battery life for lots of tracking and checkins.

They all suffer from not being able to change your messages on the fly but I really don't have much to say. All I need is a check in message, come help message and "911" message

Don't use anything but Lithium batteries unless you have no other option. Non lithium batteries have a greater chance to "leak" into the device and destroy it. The lithiums also seem to give the greatest life. IIRC the manual and a warning on the device suggest lithium only.

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

This is what I have, I got the device free at overland expo east because that was their promotion for the expo. It has worked great for me so far, I like that I can use the device alone to text back and forth with people or it can link to my cell phone as well.

Reactions: TexasGMG and Ubiety

GMoney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SoCal
I cancelled my Spot 3 after two years and the reason I cancelled was because it claimed my "all is well" text went out to my loved one when in reality she received nothing. Kind of disappointing to find that your reassuring message was never sent. I bought the inReach mini and it is very nice. Tether it to your phone to easily send custom text messages, and receive messages!! The Spot Gen 3 does not receive messages.

JohnKeller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Park City, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ
I have owned and used a Spot for around 3 years now. Hiking, camping, overlanding and off shore cruising are my primary applications. Mostly for the times when I backpack or overland solo and when we are off shore out of cellular coverage Or in a foreign country. Our last trip was to Vietnam and it worked perfectly.

That said times have changed and Spot now has some competition. Garmin products and the Iridium GO are providing more features and better monthly plans.

Overlanding here in the west, primarily Utah, Ariz, Nevada and Wyoming cell coverage is limited in remote areas. Visiting foreign countries means unlocking a phone and getting a SIM card to make calls and use data for navigation. I Hess this is the least expensive way to go but another process Nonetheless.

Lately I have been looking at the Iridium GO for better coverage, a more global solution and more features albeit at a much higher cost for the equipment and the monthly plans.

i was just about to order one and then the COVID/CCP virus hit. I do not mean to hijack this thread but being a Spot user I though my experience was germane.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have owned and used a Spot for around 3 years now. Hiking, camping, overlanding and off shore cruising are my primary applications. Mostly for the times when I backpack or overland solo and when we are off shore out of cellular coverage Or in a foreign country. Our last trip was to Vietnam and it worked perfectly.

That said times have changed and Spot now has some competition. Garmin products and the Iridium GO are providing more features and better monthly plans.

Overlanding here in the west, primarily Utah, Ariz, Nevada and Wyoming cell coverage is limited in remote areas. Visiting foreign countries means unlocking a phone and getting a SIM card to make calls and use data for navigation. I Hess this is the least expensive way to go but another process Nonetheless.

Lately I have been looking at the Iridium GO for better coverage, a more global solution and more features albeit at a much higher cost for the equipment and the monthly plans.

i was just about to order one and then the COVID/CCP virus hit. I do not mean to hijack this thread but being a Spot user I though my experience was germane.
If you shop around you can get “better” priced monthly iridium Service plans. Mine is through SatPhoneStore in Florida, they were not quick and efficient about getting my plan going or getting needed plan data back to me, but they offered a decent plan price.

>>COVID/CCP
Your spine is showing ;) Thank you

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JohnKeller