sPOD vs Switch Pros

• HTML tutorial

Trudog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sammamish, WA 98074, USA
Member #

Good choice! You won’t be disappointed. Completed sealed from the elements, solid state and no need for fuses! I have older, previous 8100 model and not a single complaint.
May be time for an upgrade? But I am sure it will work fine for years to come. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

Has anyone run into a problem with water and mounting their SwitchPro horizontally? The installation details say to mount vertically. Basically so that water doesn’t have a chance to sit on the wire harness and infiltrate. Solutions like the Powertray mount the SwitchPro horizontal.

It the tray in under the protection of the hood in the engine bay, I don’t expect too much water will collect that doesn’t evaporate pretty quickly (unless you are totally swamping), but wanted to ask to see what folks have experienced.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Has anyone run into a problem with water and mounting their SwitchPro horizontally? The installation details say to mount vertically. Basically so that water doesn’t have a chance to sit on the wire harness and infiltrate. Solutions like the Powertray mount the SwitchPro horizontal.

It the tray in under the protection of the hood in the engine bay, I don’t expect too much water will collect that doesn’t evaporate pretty quickly (unless you are totally swamping), but wanted to ask to see what folks have experienced.
I had mine mounted horizontal on top of fuse block in my ram for nearly 2 years. Never had a problem but also never did any water crossing or really even major puddles lol. For what we did with the truck it was just fine.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

They warn about it in the manual, I've heard of the pins getting corroded when mounting it horizontal. Water could easily get stuck in the "cup" of the connector. I installed my vertically to avoid that.

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

They warn about it in the manual, I've heard of the pins getting corroded when mounting it horizontal. Water could easily get stuck in the "cup" of the connector. I installed my vertically to avoid that.
Yeah, that is totally what I am concerned about. I love the Powertray that I have and have been really excited to get the SwitchPro installed, but don’t want to get myself into a potential failure scenario. Maybe I can work something out to make a protective shield...

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I have a sPOD bantam on order (waiting forever as they are all out of stock). In wiring in the lights, I have all Baja design lights and the Baja Designs wiring harnesses. Those harnesses come with in-line fuses, is it appropriate/correct to leave those in-line fuses when attaching to the Bantam. In my way of thinking, it adds an extra layer of protection, but don't know if there is a negative to leaving them in. Can anyone point in the right direction?
There is no reason to leave the fuses in line. One of the benefits to the spod is that you don’t need the inline fuses therefore not having to pack extras. I eliminated all the inline fuses on all accessories connected to both vehicles with spods with zero problems.

Reactions: Stickman

2Tonic

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

SE Michigan
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Lemko
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8AGI
Where is the sPod or the SwitchPro connected? The primary battery or the secondary battery? Does it make a difference?

JB4TRUCKS

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Brea
First Name
JB
Last Name
Blakely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HM6HHK
In full disclosure I was shocked at first sight at the cost of an Spod unit, having a fairly strong background in both electrical, electronics and machinery. I was taken back, but my curiosity got the best of me, so I took a closer look at the system, design and engineering, safety features and variable functionality. Spoke at length on several occasions to John and later on some of their support staff. Eventually I went to see their facility. My interest went beyond the off road usage. I sell build and design custom vocational trucks from well drilling and servicing trucks to HD service trucks for municipal applications for water and sewer systems.

One year later after testing a source SE , I approached them about be coming a dealer, its been about three years now. The key with any product isnt just the upfront cost but the durability and total cost of ownership. When something does go wrong is there someone to call? And do they stand behind there product?
I cant say anything about switchpros good or otherwise, but I can attest to the high standards that the SPOdS are built to, and the family that stands behind them

Good Luck

JB

Reactions: Boort and MazeVX

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Where is the sPod or the SwitchPro connected? The primary battery or the secondary battery? Does it make a difference?
I have my switchpro connected to my primary battery. I'd say it depends on what you're running off of it. I'm just running my different lights which all draw from my primary battery.

HTH
-Aaron