sPOD vs Switch Pros

• HTML tutorial

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

I was all set on getting the Switch Pros 9100 until the SPOD Bantam came out. Anyone have experience with the Bantam?
It's essentially the same thing but it's more plug and play. You won't have to solder or crimp your wires to the Switch Pros leads, or create your own terminal station. It really depends on how much time you want to spend installing everything, available space, and budget.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ah, so it basically eliminates that little bus bar that I see in everyone's Switch Pros setup?
Not everyone’s. There’s no need for it and I chose not to do it that way.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Ah, so it basically eliminates that little bus bar that I see in everyone's Switch Pros setup?
Essentially. People do that so they can pre-wire to the Switch Pros wires to the bus bar and easily connect new accessories as they get them. You can also hard wire straight into the Switch Pros if you want to.

I like my S-Pod set up but I prefer the price of the Switch Pros.

leonbmx

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

N 145th St, Seattle, WA 98133, USA
First Name
LEON
Last Name
vanHees
Member #

One small ground for Switch-Pros control unit connected directly to neg battery post. Ground for individual outputs/ loads connected to different chassis grounds.
So this is one of the differences between the Bantam and the SP9100 then, as, as far as I understand it, you hook up both negative and positive wires to the bantam, making it a potential cleaner install?

I tried to find a Black Friday deal on the bantam, but I couldn’t find it under $800 shipped/tax anywhere.

Reactions: 1811tactical

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Feel sure the sPod and Switch Pros are both great products. I went with the ARB lynx though. Absolutely love it. Would reco

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Feel sure the sPod and Switch Pros are both great products. I went with the ARB lynx though. Absolutely love it. Would reco
Interesting, I've been unable to find any solid reviews of the ARB Lynx product. Do you have it setup to do the auto tire pressure stuff?
The ARB video shows off a lot of cool features (Cough, Each for extra $$$$, and some "in Development", Cough) I really don't like the phone / touch screen as interface for truck but might be willing to put up with it for some of the features described.

@OperationContingency I'd too would like to know more. What components of the system do you have? What features have you been using? What works and what have you found that does not live up to the hype (harder to use than expected, pain to install or configure, etc...)?

Boort

Last edited:

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Interesting, I've been unable to find any solid reviews of the ARB Lynx product. Do you have it setup to do the auto tire pressure stuff?
I do. As well as airbags and a few other extras. Probably why I chose it. More of a all in one system for my needs.

I like that I can hook lights, airbags, tire pressure and a few other things. In addition, it has the roll and pitch indicators which I like. Basically, I can hook everything to one place and it’s all taken care of.

The only draw back I’d give it, is that it is basically a phone. So, while it is mounted in a very sturdy mount, it’s not quite as easy as pushing a fixed/hard button. If you need to push the lights on quick, it takes some finesse to make sure you are hitting the right button, just like a cell phone.

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
The ARB video shows off a lot of cool features (Cough, Each for extra $$$$, and some "in Development", Cough) I really don't like the phone / touch screen as interface for truck but might be willing to put up with it for some of the features described.

@OperationContingency I'd too would like to know more. What components of the system do you have? What features have you been using? What works and what have you found that does not live up to the hype (harder to use than expected, pain to install or configure, etc...)?

Boort
I like that I can hook lights, airbags, tire pressure and a few other things. In addition, it has the roll and pitch indicators which I like. Basically, I can hook everything to one place and it’s all taken care of.

The only draw back I’d give it, is that it is basically a phone. So, while it is mounted in a very sturdy mount, it’s not quite as easy as pushing a fixed/hard button. If you need to push the lights on quick, it takes some finesse to make sure you are hitting the right button, just like a cell phone. Oh, I guess one more draw back, since it is basically a phone you can’t leave it in the car, in the open like you could the sPod or other similar models. People think it’s a phone and want to steal it (or so I think).

Install was pretty simple, although I had an extra hand. Cost was a bit much but I got what I wanted, I think I got it for $670ish at Southeast Overland in SC(great to deal with BTW). They got it to me fast.

I too found very few reviews, kinda took a leap of faith, but am pleased with the purchase.

Three beers deep, no more questions till morning if you want a coherent response.

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

I ended up going with the switch pros because I liked the write ups other people had done for it. I did not realize that ARB had a similar setup but I am happy with the solid construction of the switchpros and the tech support is much better, you can call the folks directly when you have an issue, and they will spend the time to answer questions and appreciate the business.

installed some under the hood lights, last weekend, wired them up to the switch pros. now, no more going through the firewall for non sence -- all in one place.

Attachments

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I ended up going with the switch pros because I liked the write ups other people had done for it. I did not realize that ARB had a similar setup but I am happy with the solid construction of the switchpros and the tech support is much better, you can call the folks directly when you have an issue, and they will spend the time to answer questions and appreciate the business.

installed some under the hood lights, last weekend, wired them up to the switch pros. now, no more going through the firewall for non sence -- all in one place.
Looks great man. Enjoy and safe travels!

JB4TRUCKS

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Brea
First Name
JB
Last Name
Blakely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HM6HHK
I was all set on getting the Switch Pros 9100 until the SPOD Bantam came out. Anyone have experience with the Bantam?
I just added a Bantam to my existing Spod source to expand beyond the 8 circuits. Much easier installation
More features and functions, smaller footprint 20181223_161901.jpeg20181223_161836.jpeg20181223_120830.jpegScreenshot_20181223-120645_Bantam.jpeg

Trudog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sammamish, WA 98074, USA
Member #

After an educated search and the feedback provided from fellow outladers I have decided to go with Switch Pro 9100. Install should be done at the end of this month but first its Stem Cell therapy on the knees! Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Reactions: McGrizzly

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Good choice! You won’t be disappointed. Completed sealed from the elements, solid state and no need for fuses! I have older, previous 8100 model and not a single complaint.

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

After an educated search and the feedback provided from fellow outladers I have decided to go with Switch Pro 9100. Install should be done at the end of this month but first its Stem Cell therapy on the knees! Thanks for everyone's input!!!
let us see it when you get it all dialed in!