sPOD vs Switch Pros

• HTML tutorial

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I am looking to add switches to my 2018 Power Wagon to run switched power sources for a ARB Twin Air Compressor, LED lights, Fridge/freezer, etc. I like the compact size of the Switch Pros 9100 unit and it'll allow me to stealthily hide it in a few areas whereas the sPod 8-circuit touch screen model will require a Ram mount or something similar in a more exposed mounted area. sPOD does make a HD 8-circuit version that is similar to the Switch Pros as well.

I like the price of the Switch Pros unit ($495), but I will still have to add a BUS bar, circuit terminal box, and circuit fuse all of which will have to be wired and mounted somewhere/somehow under the hood which will likely bring the price within $100 of the sPOD. The sPOD unit comes already pre-wired and enclosed in a circuit break box, but at a much higher initial price of $750. PowerTrays makes very clean mounting options for both of these systems, but unfortunately not for the Power Wagon/2500, so I will have to figure out a solution should I go with the Switch Pro setup or find someone that offers a solution similar to the PowerTray options.

Any suggestions or recommendations from those of you out there who have run either of these systems or something similar?

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
This is something I'm interested in as well. It's hard for me to spend that much on a switch panel. I know they are nice and clean but still. Occasionally I'll look into the diy ones but haven't built one yet.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I absolutely love my sPOD set up. I had their first gen system in my Jeep LJ and now have the newer one with Bluetooth and the touch screen in my F150. If I was doing it over I think I would do the HD buttons instead of the screen. The system is just plain easy and what is really important to me is service after the sale. The sPOD guys are incredibly quick to respond to emails and have even sent me electrical schematics to help me wire things up.

The only thing I would double check would be the amp draw on the double compressor, it might be too high for the sPOD. My single ARB compressor works great with it.

Reactions: Road

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I was a headed toward the sPod but now that I have seen the Switch Pro 9100...I am dead set on it. Way more compact for my needs, a lot cleaner installation and is well thought out with plug and play design. All I need is included right out the box to hook up all 8 accessory groups I have and I don't need the add-ons I would have had to buy with the sPod...saving me even $$$. The PowerTrays is a separate accessory I just wouldn't need since everything is already protected in the SwitchPro 9100 control box. No fuses or circuit necessary if its solid state...just contact wires and go.

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I was a headed toward the sPod but now that I have seen the Switch Pro 9100...I am dead set on it. Way more compact for my needs, a lot cleaner installation and is well thought out with plug and play design. All I need is included right out the box to hook up all 8 accessory groups I have and I don't need the add-ons I would have had to buy with the sPod...saving me even $$$. The PowerTrays is a separate accessory I just wouldn't need since everything is already protected in the SwitchPro 9100 control box. No fuses or circuit necessary if its solid state...just contact wires and go.

This was what I was leaning towards. Good to know that I don't need the secondary fuses and buses. I think this settles it for me. I like the size of their control panel as well!!!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I just looked at the 9100, some cool design features and I love the control box size under the hood, the only thing I would worry about is the connection points to the accessories. If I am tracking right you need to use a separate distribution block for all of your accessories essentially making it the same size as the sPOD. I think between the two the cost will end up similar with all things considered, perhaps a little cheaper with the 9100 so it would come down to customer support and user interface for the selection.

That 9100 looks well made so I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

I bought the cheapest 6-switch S-Pod. I probably should have gone the 8-switch digital route, but the price and feel of the mechanical switches was right. It's been great to me and was worth the money in terms of tidying up my old janky wiring and preventing a vehicle fire.

I haven't looked into Switch Pros.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
When I bought the van, it came with a Switch-Pro 8100 that had not yet been installed. It also came with a mounting bezel that was custom made with a 3-D printer. Although it got a little hot in the printer and did not come out exactly as the previous owner had hoped, once installed, it looks pretty good.
IMG_2068.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg
Control Panel.jpg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
That turned out great! Nice idea.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

I would say switch pro, but for me that one makes sense since I have seperate fuse blocks for all my accesories. I like the minimalist switch panel and the newer one allows color changing which is nice because you can match the lighting to the same color of the vehicle. (pet peeve of mine). Cost wise, its not alot, so I guess it just depends on what your prefer.

Porschetech29

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut, CA
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Manuel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6TCQ
I run a switch pros 9100. Clean and simple install and very customizable. Like mentioned above it’s solid state so no external fuse block required. Circuit overload protection is adjusted and set through the app. I can’t speak for the SPOD since I do not have any experience with it.
Either option can control an ARB dual compressor without any problems since you will be controlling the relay and not the actual compressor motors.

61EB6613-9A79-4F79-9D65-4FF1053E3EA2.jpeg

Porschetech29

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut, CA
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Manuel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6TCQ
What looks like a fuse block in the picture is actually a screw terminal connector. It makes for a cleaner install when connecting outputs to the Switch-Pros. The battery isolator is a 150A Battery Doctor. It was super cheap but has worked flawlessly for about a year. The isolator feeds two 95 ah batteries in the bed.

Porschetech29

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut, CA
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Manuel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6TCQ
One small ground for Switch-Pros control unit connected directly to neg battery post. Ground for individual outputs/ loads connected to different chassis grounds.

Reactions: Tex68w

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

I am looking to add switches to my 2018 Power Wagon to run switched power sources for a ARB Twin Air Compressor, LED lights, Fridge/freezer, etc. I like the compact size of the Switch Pros 9100 unit and it'll allow me to stealthily hide it in a few areas whereas the sPod 8-circuit touch screen model will require a Ram mount or something similar in a more exposed mounted area. sPOD does make a HD 8-circuit version that is similar to the Switch Pros...
Thanks for posting this @Tex68w ! I have just started looking into what might make most sense for me. I was thinking I might as well start my build with a good, clean switching/wiring solution ;-)

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I am looking to add switches to my 2018 Power Wagon to run switched power sources for a ARB Twin Air Compressor, LED lights, Fridge/freezer, etc. I like the compact size of the Switch Pros 9100 unit and it'll allow me to stealthily hide it in a few areas whereas the sPod 8-circuit touch screen model will require a Ram mount or something similar in a more exposed mounted area. sPOD does make a HD 8-circuit version that is similar to the Switch Pros as well.

I like the price of the Switch Pros unit ($495), but I will still have to add a BUS bar, circuit terminal box, and circuit fuse all of which will have to be wired and mounted somewhere/somehow under the hood which will likely bring the price within $100 of the sPOD. The sPOD unit comes already pre-wired and enclosed in a circuit break box, but at a much higher initial price of $750. PowerTrays makes very clean mounting options for both of these systems, but unfortunately not for the Power Wagon/2500, so I will have to figure out a solution should I go with the Switch Pro setup or find someone that offers a solution similar to the PowerTray options.

Any suggestions or recommendations from those of you out there who have run either of these systems or something similar?
If you haven't decided yet I would suggest the switch pro. I just recently installed on on my ram 1500 and loving it. With some creative use of parts for other purposes came out extremely clean install. IMG_20180924_184952_748.jpeg

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

Well, I “accidentally “ clicked buy on my PoweTray shopping basket last night. Took advantage of their Black Friday deal and ordered the SwitchPro/ARB PowerTray.

Looks like I decided on the SwitchPro! Now just need to get it...

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Another vote for Switch Pros here. Love the small size and the fact that it cleans up so much extra wiring without needing anything additional. Only downside was that they released the 9100 right after I installed my 8100... Here are a couple pictures right after my install.

9E5DDDC5-1433-4887-98F4-450C05B3B915.jpeg 79B82A04-0942-4B73-93A8-4350D18E9351.jpeg

Reactions: McGrizzly