Split Wire Harness Protection Tubing: Do you use it as a overlay for your vehicles lighting project?

• HTML tutorial

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
After soldering and crimping, fusing and connecting, do you use it as an additional level of protection for waterproofing or sharp edge protection. I also use dielectric grease for corrosion resistance, on harness connections. While not necessary where i live, the Desert, long term viability dictates doing it right for trouble-free use. I see so many lighting projects, with the lights being front and center, and only fusing mentioned sometimes. Physical wiring protection, separate from amp/currant draw considerations, have been a black hole!

Having a chaffed harness, happen in the middle of no where, can be a real pain to trace. That sharp piece of sheet-metal, can and will cause problems down the road. The tubing allows the wire to float inside slightly, thus keeping the insulation intact. The stuff is cheap and easy to find at electronic shops.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I can't imagine not using something to protect the wiring.

I use either corrugated split loom or the mesh type, depending on what the vehicle already has in place. I try to make everything look as if it were OEM.

Reactions: Desert Runner