scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
anyone have any tips to store spices? I was thinking packets like these... but any other suggestions? my wife works at a dispensary so I'm sure she could spare a few for me.

and keep them in something like this?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I put in a nice plastic clip affair on the inside of a kitchen cupboard door for my kid's spices, because we had to rummage through a box or dig way back into a cupboard every time we wanted something. It's worked out really well, though sometimes struggles with heavier glass bottles.

After seeing how well it worked over the last year, I went looking for the same thing to use for my camp kitchen, and for small, empty, lightweight food-safe containers like the Allspice is in, in the image below.
There are a lot of new 4oz containers out there, but those are as big as a regular spice jar and not a space saver for me.

spice-rack_5795.JPG
Kitchen cupboard door spice organizer.
spice-rack_5796.JPG
2oz spice containers in clips. Note: these clips will expand and not be as grippy after awhile, depending on how you use them and if using glass or plastic containers.

I thought I'd have to source the clips and containers separately, but found a set of 10 2oz spice containers with sets of clips: SpiceStore 2" Clear Spice Bottle Set with Organizer.
If not interested in the clips, you can get a 9 pack of just the containers: 9 Pack Mini Plastic Spice Jars. Though it says 1oz, they're the same size as the above, which says holds 2 fl oz. Same 2" high like the McCormick containers.

With the clips and the small containers (PET plastic), I can choose to either use the provided double-sided tape to stick them somewhere, or more likely just leave sets of containers in clips but not mounted.

That way it'll be easier to stack more in the depths of my kitchen box without them falling over all the time (a current problem with stacked spice bottles), and be able to pull 'em out out easier when needed. Will also make it easier to take whichever spices I want for cooking when away from the kitchen box. I raid my camp kitchen from time to time for indoor cooking.

beavertree_2729x800.jpg
My kitchen box is deep, front to back at about 16" or so.

I usually have to haul everything out of the lower compartments on the right to get to the stuff in the back. For the bigger compartment on the left, I found a great container I can just pull out to see the entire contents, but only have one 1/4-drawer for the three right compartments, where I keep hot sauces, spices, etc. I'm making drawers to make using these compartments easier, though the 2oz spice containers and organizer linked to above will help greatly in keeping things organized.

The only issue I see is when I buy new bottles of spice when on the road, and what to do with all the extra that won't fit in the 2oz containers. I'll have to use more containers or store the excess elsewhere (which I'd rather avoid 'cause it just takes up more space and I forget what stuff is where).

I love experimenting with recipes when adventuring and have learned the more organized I am with my cooking gear and supplies, the happier I am and the less time I waste.

Last edited:

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

I've found that the smaller round spice containers fit perfectly in a bamboo silverware holder. I don't have photos currently, but I'll get one up as soon as I can.

EDIT:

IMG_20210405_182626.jpg

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Repurposed tic-tac containers. But my favorite is the repurposed Jägermeister bottles.

View attachment 193457

View attachment 193458

View attachment 193459

View attachment 193460

View attachment 193461
Both are really nice ideas. While the reuse of the tic-tac containers is just super practical, the idea with the Jägermeister bottles and the lovely bag is just great!

We only take a few spices with us on the road, usually salt and pepper. These are in the standard spice containers and they are stored in a small box with all kinds of kitchen utensils in it.

Reactions: Correus

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I use a air tight storage container for my spices. It nicely holds everything and doesnt have any smell to it which I like

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
depending on how nuts you go on spices, these 4-in-1 dispensers are good. i make my own mix and then like salt, pepper, and garlic....so that fills up the 4 sections for me.

Reactions: Truckee

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
Penzeys spices online has small jars like the small spice containers you see in the store they has a blank label and a shaker top as well my chuck box has a wide assortment of them and they are reasonable price. They are glass which is a drawback but no flavors are picked up by the spices inside.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I wanted these but they are slightly too tall for my storage space. I think the capacity is just right.

I ordered some of the round 2oz spice containers with organizing clips I mentioned in this thread, though think I'd like these flat rectangular containers more. I generally don't carry more than six or so spices in addition to sea salt and black pepper, which I leave in their own grinders, and have the space in my kitchen box for these, especially because they waste no space like round containers do. It will also allow me to store a whole bottle's worth of spice more efficiently.

Might seem like nitpicking to some, though I've found that even in small spaces like the interior of my kitchen box--or in my storage for hardware and odds-n-ends--I prefer carrying more in an organized fashion than wasting space that could be better utilized. I'll use the round ones in my shop for small fastener and electrical bits. I'm sure some will find their way into my rig here and there, too.

I am wayyyy too much of a container geek. I love tool boxes of various sorts, too, from handmade wooden ones made by clever carpenters to old Craftsmen metal toolboxes (I still have and use the one I bought after high school 50 yrs ago full of tools) to intricate machinist's tool boxes, but that's all a subject for another thread sometime.

Thanks, @Truckee, for the tip on these.

Attachments

Reactions: Truckee

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Agreed, the rectangle shape is more efficient space in my chuckbox. My only concern is the caps uses a sliding mechanism that won’t seal as well as a screw type lid/top.

Reactions: Road