Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Nice rig! What front license plate holder are you using. Flatlink Expert isn’t allowing my VA license plate to fold down over it
Thanks! I actually have no idea what kind of license plate holder I’m using. When I ordered the front bumper I ordered it with it, so it came from SSO. I do know that to make it work with my Flatlink Expert I had to flip it backwards and upside down. Since Specter isn’t a daily driver I imagine I’ll use for inspections and keep it in the rig otherwise.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

My ARB snorkel went on this past week, as well as my Gobi Ranger rack and 4 of my 5 Budbuilt armor plates (apparently UPS lost one of them). The rig is finally looking more like an overland rig and less like an urban assault vehicle. This week all of the exterior lights go on, an sPOD Bantam controller w/ touchscreen will be installed, my licenses plate holder and rear camera will be relocated and my final armor plate added. Then my exterior will be done!

Attachments

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

My ARB snorkel went on this past week, as well as my Gobi Ranger rack and 4 of my 5 Budbuilt armor plates (apparently UPS lost one of them). The rig is finally looking more like an overland rig and less like an urban assault vehicle. This week all of the exterior lights go on, an sPOD Bantam controller w/ touchscreen will be installed, my licenses plate holder and rear camera will be relocated and my final armor plate added. Then my exterior will be done!
Lean clean and mean sir! Looks really good!

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

What roof rack and lights did you go with?
It a Gobi Ranger Rack. As far as lights, I’ve got Rigid 360 series 6” drive beam lights (4), Rigid 360 series 4” amber drive beam lights (2), Rigid Industries SR-Q Pro Series Utility lights (2 ), Rigid white rock lights (6), Rigid SR-M back-up lights (2) and wired through a sPOD Bantam light controller with touchscreen.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It a Gobi Ranger Rack. As far as lights, I’ve got Rigid 360 series 6” drive beam lights (4), Rigid 360 series 4” amber drive beam lights (2), Rigid Industries SR-Q Pro Series Utility lights (2 ), Rigid white rock lights (6), Rigid SR-M back-up lights (2) and wired through a sPOD Bantam light controller with touchscreen.
Wow that’s a lot of lights...they should be able to see you from the space station

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

It drives ‘heavier’ but overall better than stock. Of course, I also tend to baby it a bit because of the added weight. I had a few trips planned this year to work out the kinks and to determine if I needed to adjust my suspension, gearing, etc. Thus far they have all been canceled thanks to the virus. Hoping to do an OBX trip and the Trans Taiga in the fall. I anticipate having to regear if I add a trailer at a later date, but for now it seems good to go.FCCCC8A8-D536-4134-AF38-B4C787390989.jpeg

Last edited:

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I also just realized I have updated my build sheet in a looong time, so I’ll post later tonight.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

@Specter any particular reason why you choose SSO for the front bumper?
I was looking for the same bumper style for mine and found few different manufacturers to chose from!

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

@Specter any particular reason why you choose SSO for the front bumper?
I was looking for the same bumper style for mine and found few different manufacturers to chose from!
Great question!
I chose SSO for a few reasons. First and foremost, I like the design, simplicity, look and the reduced weight of the slim line bumper. I do not rock crawl, take my rig in areas that necessitate a lot of clearance upfront or would be considered ‘high risk‘ for front impact damage so I went with something that would keep my weight and profile to a minimum - sometimes, and especially when building an overlanding rig, less is more. The slim line does a great job of maintaining the factory lines of the 4runner while providing added protection and a platform for my winch. Finally, I wanted to go with a single company from which I could get all my armor (front and rear bumper, tire carrier and sliders). In my search I dealt with several great companies but by far, SSO had the best customer service. That means a lot to me, particularly for a build. I built my rig to go to remote places, so having good customer service means that I have confidence in their product, and that means I have confidence in my rig. Pretty important when you’re hundreds of miles off the pavement. I hope this helps!

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Great question!
I chose SSO for a few reasons. First and foremost, I like the design, simplicity, look and the reduced weight of the slim line bumper. I do not rock crawl, take my rig in areas that necessitate a lot of clearance upfront or would be considered ‘high risk‘ for front impact damage so I went with something that would keep my weight and profile to a minimum - sometimes, and especially when building an overlanding rig, less is more. The slim line does a great job of maintaining the factory lines of the 4runner while providing added protection and a platform for my winch. Finally, I wanted to go with a single company from which I could get all my armor (front and rear bumper, tire carrier and sliders). In my search I dealt with several great companies but by far, SSO had the best customer service. That means a lot to me, particularly for a build. I built my rig to go to remote places, so having good customer service means that I have confidence in their product, and that means I have confidence in my rig. Pretty important when you’re hundreds of miles off the pavement. I hope this helps!
That’s a nice front bumper. I’m toying with the idea of getting a winch and the slimline bumper looks like a nice option. I do see BodyArmor offers a HiLine that looks similar to the SSO model. Besides the obvious price difference, I’m not sure of the differences. They look very similar. The idea of a hidden winch appeals to me.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

That’s a nice front bumper. I’m toying with the idea of getting a winch and the slimline bumper looks like a nice option. I do see BodyArmor offers a HiLine that looks similar to the SSO model. Besides the obvious price difference, I’m not sure of the differences. They look very similar. The idea of a hidden winch appeals to me.
I’d give SSO a call and speak to them. They’re great to deal with and will be honest about why their bumper is different, better, not as good, etc.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Here is the latest of my total build:

Make: Toyota
Model: 5th Generation 4runner, TRD Off-road Premium
Year: 2019
Color: Magnetic Gray

Vehicle Drivetrain
  • ICON ext travel 2.5 series IR coilover kit
  • ICON tubular delta joint UCA kit
  • ICON 3” overland series rear coil springs
  • ICON rear 2.0 aluminum series IR shock, ICON adjustable track bar
  • ICON Six Speed 17X8.5 gun metal wheels (5)
  • Nitto Grapplers 285x70x17 tires (5)
  • ARB front/rear differential breathers
  • Toyota OEM rear locker
Vehicle Armor
  • Southern Style Off-road Slim Line front bumper
  • Southern Style Off-road V2.0 rear ‘trail gator’ bumper with tire carrier
  • Southern Style Off-road rock sliders
  • Budbuilt Overland 2 aluminum front, mid, transmission, crossmember and fuel tank armor
Vehicle Lighting
  • Phillips interior LED light kit
  • Xenon Depot Xtreme LED Pro high/low/fogs
  • Rigid 360 series 6” overhead drive beam lights (4)
  • Rigid 360 series 4” amber forward facing drive beam lights (2)
  • Rigid Industries SR-Q Pro Series rear facing utility lights (2)
  • Rigid white rock lights (6)
  • Rigid SR-M reverse facing back-up lights (2)
  • 4X4 sPOD Bantam light controller with touchscreen mounted with a RAM Mount X Grip
Recovery
  • Warn 9.5xps winch w/ wireless control
  • Winch accessories: Factory55 fairlead, Factory55 Flatlink E/rope guard,
  • Factory55 Hitchlink 2.0
  • ARB 12V air compressor
  • ARB premium recovery kit/snatch block
  • Crosby recovery shackles
  • ARB tire repair kit w/ARB E-Z deflator, Staun automatic tire deflators (6-30psi)
  • Maxtrax MK II recovery boards w/ Gobi mount and Maxtrax mounting pins
  • Hi-Lift jack mounted on rear SSO bumper
  • Craftsman Mechanics Tools
Utility & Expedition Equipment
  • Gobi Ranger Rack w/sunroof cover
  • ARB Safari snorkel
  • Front Runner Wolf Pack Storage
  • Wavian NATO fuel cans (4) w/BajaRack NATO fuel can holders (2)
  • Fiskar axe and Bully shovel with Gobi Rack mounting system
  • Midland handheld CB radio
  • Motorola Talkabout Two-way radios
  • ACR ResQLink personal locator beacon
  • Marine 600 Medical Kit w/ dry box
  • Apple Gen 7 Ipad mounted w/ RAM Mount vehicle base, tele pole and tablet holder for onboard diagnostics and navigation.
Overland Equipment
  • Oztent Oxley 7 Expedition Tent with complete panel system
  • Dometic 55IM Fridge/Freezer with insulation cover
  • Dometic sliding rack/tie downs
  • Dometic PLB40 Portable Lithium Battery
  • Coleman Powerhouse two burner Stove

Reactions: 100RNR

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

Here is the latest of my total build:

Make: Toyota
Model: 5th Generation 4runner, TRD Off-road Premium
Year: 2019
Color: Magnetic Gray

Vehicle Drivetrain
  • ICON ext travel 2.5 series IR coilover kit
  • ICON tubular delta joint UCA kit
  • ICON 3” overland series rear coil springs
  • ICON rear 2.0 aluminum series IR shock, ICON adjustable track bar
  • ICON Six Speed 17X8.5 gun metal wheels (5)
  • Nitto Grapplers 285x70x17 tires (5)
  • ARB front/rear differential breathers
  • Toyota OEM rear locker
Vehicle Armor
  • Southern Style Off-road Slim Line front bumper
  • Southern Style Off-road V2.0 rear ‘trail gator’ bumper with tire carrier
  • Southern Style Off-road rock sliders
  • Budbuilt Overland 2 aluminum front, mid, transmission, crossmember and fuel tank armor
Vehicle Lighting
  • Phillips interior LED light kit
  • Xenon Depot Xtreme LED Pro high/low/fogs
  • Rigid 360 series 6” overhead drive beam lights (4)
  • Rigid 360 series 4” amber forward facing drive beam lights (2)
  • Rigid Industries SR-Q Pro Series rear facing utility lights (2)
  • Rigid white rock lights (6)
  • Rigid SR-M reverse facing back-up lights (2)
  • 4X4 sPOD Bantam light controller with touchscreen mounted with a RAM Mount X Grip
Recovery
  • Warn 9.5xps winch w/ wireless control
  • Winch accessories: Factory55 fairlead, Factory55 Flatlink E/rope guard,
  • Factory55 Hitchlink 2.0
  • ARB 12V air compressor
  • ARB premium recovery kit/snatch block
  • Crosby recovery shackles
  • ARB tire repair kit w/ARB E-Z deflator, Staun automatic tire deflators (6-30psi)
  • Maxtrax MK II recovery boards w/ Gobi mount and Maxtrax mounting pins
  • Hi-Lift jack mounted on rear SSO bumper
  • Craftsman Mechanics Tools
Utility & Expedition Equipment
  • Gobi Ranger Rack w/sunroof cover
  • ARB Safari snorkel
  • Front Runner Wolf Pack Storage
  • Wavian NATO fuel cans (4) w/BajaRack NATO fuel can holders (2)
  • Fiskar axe and Bully shovel with Gobi Rack mounting system
  • Midland handheld CB radio
  • Motorola Talkabout Two-way radios
  • ACR ResQLink personal locator beacon
  • Marine 600 Medical Kit w/ dry box
  • Apple Gen 7 Ipad mounted w/ RAM Mount vehicle base, tele pole and tablet holder for onboard diagnostics and navigation.
Overland Equipment
  • Oztent Oxley 7 Expedition Tent with complete panel system
  • Dometic 55IM Fridge/Freezer with insulation cover
  • Dometic sliding rack/tie downs
  • Dometic PLB40 Portable Lithium Battery
  • Coleman Powerhouse two burner Stove
Coolest rig around here.