TheBorg

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Black
Hey, new member, and pretty new to overlanding as well. A couple weeks ago we (the family and I) wheeled a small part of the Kentucky Adventure Tour, and the idle pulley on my '94 ZJ died, shredding the serpentine belt and overheating the engine. Fortunately it happened on the way back home, and pretty close to an auto parts store, and since I carry a tool kit, it wasn't a super big deal. However, had something like that happened on the trail, it would've been. Also, while doing a serpentine belt and a pulley wasn't a problem for me, I would be lost on something like an axle shaft, a U-joint, or most electrical failures. This brings me to the questions:
1. especially for ZJ guys, what spares do you bring, and what replacement procedures are highly recommended to know how to do?
2. Is there somewhere that puts on some kind of emergency repair or bush mechanic type training course? Any recommendations on resources to learn this type of thing better? A google search turned up all kinds of off road driving course, but not much mechanical stuff.

Thanks.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
There are tons of YouTube videos about doing basic to complex vehicle repairs. Just search for the repair type and leave out anything having to do with off road.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Not so much spares but check all of your *motor mounts and trans mounts
*Track bar bushings
*Control arms and bushings
*Replace the factory quick clamps on your intake boot with actual hose clamps because they always seem to come loose
* Battery cables and add a couple extra ground straps ( the factory put the bare min on them )

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I wheeled a 96 ZJ for about 8 years and multiple things failed on the truck, here are a few that are relevant to going offroad.

* +1 to checking the motor mounts and trans mounts.
* +1 to checking the control arm bushings.
* Keep an eye on the front wheel bearings, especially if you run lower offset wheels. I carried a spare unibearing on the trail.
* If your front driveshaft has a CV joint they tend to break with larger tires. A workaround is to replace it with a driveshaft with a u-joint.
* Similarly, if your front axles have CV joints they tend to break with larger tires (can replace with u-jointed shafts).
* I had the pulley on my power steering pump fragment and took out the belt.
* The stock tie rod is small and easy to bend.
* I had a thermostat seize in the open position and cause the truck to overheat. These are small and easy to carry a spare.
* Try to keep the engine stock. I added a MSD coil and it would overheat and stall out the engine while driving on the freeway.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

I wheeled a 96 ZJ for about 8 years and multiple things failed on the truck, here are a few that are relevant to going offroad.
All great info- thanks!
* +1 to checking the motor mounts and trans mounts.
* +1 to checking the control arm bushings.
* Keep an eye on the front wheel bearings, especially if you run lower offset wheels. I carried a spare unibearing on the trail.
* If your front driveshaft has a CV joint they tend to break with larger tires. A workaround is to replace it with a driveshaft with a u-joint.
* Similarly, if your front axles have CV joints they tend to break with larger tires (can replace with u-jointed shafts).
* I had the pulley on my power steering pump fragment and took out the belt.
* The stock tie rod is small and easy to bend.
* I had a thermostat seize in the open position and cause the truck to overheat. These are small and easy to carry a spare.
* Try to keep the engine stock. I added a MSD coil and it would overheat and stall out the engine while driving on the freeway.

TheBorg

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Black
This sounds like good advice. So far I've had two pulleys fragment and kill two serpentine belts, maybe I should just proactively replace the power steering pulley and keep the old one as a trail spare? I haven't realy looked at control arm bushings and engine mounts. I will have to do that soon. I am running a u-joint front end setup, which I just had rebuilt, and a slip yoke eliminator on an np231 transfer case, so I shouldn't have any CV joints to worry about. Any other thought?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have a WJ, but am similarly trying to figure out my "spares" kit. I've done extensive work to it recently, so I have LOTs of spare stuff. I need to figure out what's worth carying, and what I can realistically change on the trail. Once I figure that out, I need to make sure I have appropriate tools to do any of those jobs.

So far, I was thinking:
  • Engine Stuff
    • Serpentine Belt
    • Serpentine Tensioner/Idler Assembly
    • 1-2 spare coils
    • 1-2 spare spark plugs
    • 1-2 spare injectors
    • Sensors (mostly just the "must have to run" stuff like crank/cam position, TPS, etc.)
    • Spare starter
    • Spare alternator
  • Other Drivetrain Stuff
    • Spare front and rear axle shafts (I went with aftermarket, so I have the stockers)
    • Spare rear driveshaft
    • Additional spare u-joints
  • Suspension/steering
    • Assortment of heims that cover my steering gear and 4-links
  • Misc
    • Various gauge wire, connectors, crimping tools, maybe soldier and cordless gun
    • Fuses, relays
    • "rescue" tape and other emergency stuff for patching radiator hoses etc.
    • Maybe some parts to cobble together brake and power-steering lines (seems like a super-common point of failure)
    • JB Weld and similar for patching oil/trans pans, diff covers, etc.
  • Fluids
    • Engine oil
    • Spare oil filter
    • Trans fluid
    • PS fluid
    • Brake fluid
    • Water (obv will have water on-hand)
    • Water-wetter or something to use with straight water so I don't have to carry a lot of coolant

Then I started looking at that list, and was like shit, that's a lot of stuff. That kit would take up a lot of room, and be a lot of weight. I've seen some neat solutions like finding a good spot up under the rig to hard-mount the spare driveshaft, and the axle-shafts could go on the sides of my rooftop basket. But still, we're talking hundreds of lbs of stuff.

I way, way over-built my rig for the Overlanding I plan to do. The entire purpose of that was so that it *should* be bullet-proof for Overland trips. I think if I get to breaking axle shafts and things like that, I've gone in WAY over my head on stuff I shouldn't be doing on an Overland trip. I'm not ashamed to pull-rope (use the winch), and I'm not ashamed to use trail bypasses. If I go on more of a true "wheeling" trip then I'll prob have a base-camp and can leave a big bin of those hard-parts back at camp.

But for Overlanding, moving from place to place I'm going to dial this WAY down. The other factor is I never go out 100% solo, so worst case I can abandon the rig and go for help/parts in one of the other vehicles. Maybe someday I'll get more into that, then I'll pack a bit more. But even then, I'd NEVER go out solo w/o satellite communication device (like a inReach) that will ALWAYS be able to send my location and a message no matter where in the world I am.

-TJ

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Honestly pulleys shouldnt be a trail repair, those are items you should be checking every oil change. Maybe we should start more basic...
What should I be checking during an engine service?
So as a fleet mechanic I have a system for servicing trucks, I can literally check every inch of the truck change oil and oil and fuel filters in 45min. On my personal rigs it take me about 30min. Heres what I do...

Before starting the engine place foot on brake, check clutch free pedal, start engine, make sure the brake pedal goes down some as this indicates the booster is working.
Hold the brake hard for a few seconds, this will tell you if you have an brake fluid leaks.
Check windshield washers and wipers.
Stop engine and set brake (in an automatic manually select each gear and stop for a few seconds, go back to Park, leave engine running and check fluid it will be a little low as the fluid might be cold, but it should still be in the cross hatching).
Do a walk around checking tires and lights, if needed have a helper press the brakes and select reverse to check those lights also (I use a hood prop rod to apply brakes, and while its technically not 100% Kosher I will leave the key on but engine off and put the trans in reverse to check the lights).
Punch hole in oil filter to drain oil, break the drain plug loose and allow all oil to drain.
Shake down all steering components and grease them and ball joints if they are greaseable type.
Check fluid levels in differentials and transfer case, also transmission if manual (if it is a dipstickless automatic there is a procedure you will need to look up in factory service literature).
Shake down drive shafts, grease U joints if they are greaseable type, while checking U joints inspect engine and transmission mounts, suspension bushings, and springs, check differential, transfer case and transmission seals, check hoses and lines on under side.
Lift each corner of rig and shake the wheel placing your hands at top and bottom(play here will indicate ball joints) and shaking then front and back and shaking (play here will indicate steering components) to check for worn parts. Also pull the wheel in and out as this can help you identify wheel bearings. If doing a tire rotation this is also the time to check brake pads. Be sure to check inner and outer pads, the outer pad will naturally be slightly thinner than the inner but the pads should be essentially the same thickness, if they are not then that indicates a hanging up brake caliper, you should also check brake lines and ABS wheel speed sensor wires.
Install oil drain plug after inspecting gasket (if its an O ring you can usually reuse them a few times, if its a copper or aluminum washer it should be replaced each service)
Remove oil filter, lubricate new oil filter gasket with fresh oil, check filter head to ensure the sealing surface is clean and the old oil filter gasket is not still present (if oil filter is oriented in a way that you can pre fill it without spilling tons of oil, go for it. I typically do not pre fill my filters).
Refill engine with oil.
Check battery connections for corrosion and clean if needed, check accessory belts for cracks and glazing and for tension, inspect idler and tensioners (if any pulleys are running at an angle this indicates bearing failure, also if a belt is not running in the center of a pulley it indicates problems that need to be addressed).
Check oil level on dip stick (if you filled to capacity it should be over full as the filter will store some oil, make sure it is at least at the full mark on the dip stick).
Start engine, check for oil leaks at the pan plug and oil filter. Inspect accessory belt as engine is running noting any sounds or wobble form pulleys and tracking on idlers.
Stop engine and check tire pressure.
Check engine oil level and add as needed, check coolant level.
*For strut equipped suspensions bear in mind there is a ball bearing at the top of the strut, so give that guy a glance and a shake too

Theres my basic service. I do that on all my rigs every time I drop oil. Your first time following that it will take you a few hours, but once you get the flow it will become second nature and you will be able to do it very quickly.
Having a solid preventative maintenance procedure will eliminate a vast majority of trail repairs, at least for most people like us. For the most part overlanding really shouldnt be an activity that pushes a vehicle that far outside of its design parameters. We arent mud bogging or rock crawling, we are simply traversing rough terrain hopefully at a prudent speed. For that reason, I believe if you keep up on maintenance and inspections trail failures shouldnt be a primary concern. Granted there is always that situation that will create a problem so absolutely plan for failures, but I have never carried more than a full sized spare and U joints.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I wouldnt be carrying around driveshafts unless its common for em to break on your rig carrying all that extra weight in spares will likely cause you to break a part and need the spare . Carrying spares and bushcraft are 2 very different things with spares all you have to do is know how to turn a wrench with true bushcraft if you break an axle you link a few batteries in series and weld it using welding rod you would carry as part of your kit along with multiple heavy duty jumper cables. Replace your alternator with a marine grade one and you won't have to worry about that in high water and mud. Pop a belt on the trail you can get back to civilization with some leggs pantyhose as a belt. I could go on and on about bushcrafting but I'm not getting paid for that.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
This sounds like good advice. So far I've had two pulleys fragment and kill two serpentine belts, maybe I should just proactively replace the power steering pulley and keep the old one as a trail spare? I haven't realy looked at control arm bushings and engine mounts. I will have to do that soon. I am running a u-joint front end setup, which I just had rebuilt, and a slip yoke eliminator on an np231 transfer case, so I shouldn't have any CV joints to worry about. Any other thought?
On my ZJ it was extremely difficult to replace the power steering pulley, definitely not something I would want to attempt on the trail. You mentioned having two pulleys fragment, were both the PS pulley? After I replaced mine it was fine for years until I sold the truck.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Honestly pulleys shouldnt be a trail repair, those are items you should be checking every oil change. Maybe we should start more basic...
What should I be checking during an engine service?
So as a fleet mechanic I have a system for servicing trucks, I can literally check every inch of the truck change oil and oil and fuel filters in 45min. On my personal rigs it take me about 30min. Heres what I do...

Before starting the engine place foot on brake, check clutch free pedal, start engine, make sure the brake pedal goes down some as this indicates the booster is working.
Hold the brake hard for a few seconds, this will tell you if you have an brake fluid leaks.
Check windshield washers and wipers.
Stop engine and set brake (in an automatic manually select each gear and stop for a few seconds, go back to Park, leave engine running and check fluid it will be a little low as the fluid might be cold, but it should still be in the cross hatching).
Do a walk around checking tires and lights, if needed have a helper press the brakes and select reverse to check those lights also (I use a hood prop rod to apply brakes, and while its technically not 100% Kosher I will leave the key on but engine off and put the trans in reverse to check the lights).
Punch hole in oil filter to drain oil, break the drain plug loose and allow all oil to drain.
Shake down all steering components and grease them and ball joints if they are greaseable type.
Check fluid levels in differentials and transfer case, also transmission if manual (if it is a dipstickless automatic there is a procedure you will need to look up in factory service literature).
Shake down drive shafts, grease U joints if they are greaseable type, while checking U joints inspect engine and transmission mounts, suspension bushings, and springs, check differential, transfer case and transmission seals, check hoses and lines on under side.
Lift each corner of rig and shake the wheel placing your hands at top and bottom(play here will indicate ball joints) and shaking then front and back and shaking (play here will indicate steering components) to check for worn parts. Also pull the wheel in and out as this can help you identify wheel bearings. If doing a tire rotation this is also the time to check brake pads. Be sure to check inner and outer pads, the outer pad will naturally be slightly thinner than the inner but the pads should be essentially the same thickness, if they are not then that indicates a hanging up brake caliper, you should also check brake lines and ABS wheel speed sensor wires.
Install oil drain plug after inspecting gasket (if its an O ring you can usually reuse them a few times, if its a copper or aluminum washer it should be replaced each service)
Remove oil filter, lubricate new oil filter gasket with fresh oil, check filter head to ensure the sealing surface is clean and the old oil filter gasket is not still present (if oil filter is oriented in a way that you can pre fill it without spilling tons of oil, go for it. I typically do not pre fill my filters).
Refill engine with oil.
Check battery connections for corrosion and clean if needed, check accessory belts for cracks and glazing and for tension, inspect idler and tensioners (if any pulleys are running at an angle this indicates bearing failure, also if a belt is not running in the center of a pulley it indicates problems that need to be addressed).
Check oil level on dip stick (if you filled to capacity it should be over full as the filter will store some oil, make sure it is at least at the full mark on the dip stick).
Start engine, check for oil leaks at the pan plug and oil filter. Inspect accessory belt as engine is running noting any sounds or wobble form pulleys and tracking on idlers.
Stop engine and check tire pressure.
Check engine oil level and add as needed, check coolant level.
*For strut equipped suspensions bear in mind there is a ball bearing at the top of the strut, so give that guy a glance and a shake too

Theres my basic service. I do that on all my rigs every time I drop oil. Your first time following that it will take you a few hours, but once you get the flow it will become second nature and you will be able to do it very quickly.
Having a solid preventative maintenance procedure will eliminate a vast majority of trail repairs, at least for most people like us. For the most part overlanding really shouldnt be an activity that pushes a vehicle that far outside of its design parameters. We arent mud bogging or rock crawling, we are simply traversing rough terrain hopefully at a prudent speed. For that reason, I believe if you keep up on maintenance and inspections trail failures shouldnt be a primary concern. Granted there is always that situation that will create a problem so absolutely plan for failures, but I have never carried more than a full sized spare and U joints.
Nice service/inspection run down!

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I wouldnt be carrying around driveshafts unless its common for em to break on your rig carrying all that extra weight in spares will likely cause you to break a part and need the spare . Carrying spares and bushcraft are 2 very different things with spares all you have to do is know how to turn a wrench with true bushcraft if you break an axle you link a few batteries in series and weld it using welding rod you would carry as part of your kit along with multiple heavy duty jumper cables. Replace your alternator with a marine grade one and you won't have to worry about that in high water and mud. Pop a belt on the trail you can get back to civilization with some leggs pantyhose as a belt. I could go on and on about bushcrafting but I'm not getting paid for that.
Yeah, that's what I was saying towards the end of my post (understand it was long, and lots of ppl aren't going to read to the end). The exception would be something like running the Rubicon where I could see at least taking the spare rear DS.

-TJ