Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Tennessee, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
ODell
Member #

I have a 4runner and want to use a trasharoo for trash and “waste” while on the trail. I have a stock rear bumper and want options for a hitch mounted tire carrier or another way to attach the trasharoo. Any suggestions?

trippt133

Rank III

Contributor III

Charleston, SC
First Name
Tripp
Last Name
Terry
Member #

I've been very happy with my Rigd tire carrier so far. Seems super sturdy and plenty of attachments to mount Hi Lift, Rotopax, tables, etc. I'm planning on putting a Trasharoo on as soon as I can get one - mine is supposedly shipping early August.

Reactions: TNoutdoors

Jariners

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Kittitas County, Washington, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

I have a 4runner and want to use a trasharoo for trash and “waste” while on the trail. I have a stock rear bumper and want options for a hitch mounted tire carrier or another way to attach the trasharoo. Any suggestions?
Adventure Trail Gear has one that fits on the tailgate and swings out when tailgate is down. Then you don’t need to buy a tire swing out.

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I would recommend the Rigd tire carrier. As hitch carriers go it is by far the best. I have two friends who had issues with the Wilco carriers "wearing out" after about a year and becoming a rattling mess. I have noticed that while following behind my buddies Tacoma the rigd doesn't move, wiggle, squeak, nothing when carrying a 35" spare. I am considering buying one myself.

TNoutdoors

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Tennessee, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
ODell
Member #

Thanks for the info. In a effort to keep cost down, I think I’m going to get a hitch carrier for bikes and mount the trasharoo to it. Keeps it light weight. Keeps the smell out of the cabin and keeps the cost down while I save to purchase other upgrades.

Reactions: Shahn

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
I've been searching for a spare tire carrier for my 5th gen as well. I had my heart set on a Detours of Maine swing away but last week I started looking into them seriously and found several reports of the Detours owner ignoring communications attempts via his website (which I can also speak to as I've sent him 2 messages over the past few months w/o a reply). That wouldn't scare me nearly as much if there weren't half a dozen reports on various forums of his lead times exceeding his stated 12weeks by double and sometimes beyond in conjunction with the owner/operator not replying to his customers. Perhaps these are anecdotal and don't represent the bulk of his customer interactions, but its enough to scare me away... its too bad... His prices are good, and the product is precisely what I was looking for, a simple swing away carrier designed specifically for the 4runner and most importantly, it rides snug to the body unlike the RigD and Wilco which I think sits too far out. But that's just my own particularity. Things being as they are with Detours, I'm currently looking into the RigD, but considering a Victory 4x4 complete rear bumper. But that's cost prohibitive for most, Including myself at the present. Let us know what you go with and how you like it.

Reactions: Olderland

Olderland

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Chatsworth, Los Angeles County, California, United States
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Haber
Member #

Try “DirtCom’s trail swing”. I bought one and it is really strong and looks great and I really like it. It has options to carry gas can, fold down table and hi lift.
And check this out, they contacted all there customers and told them and they made upgrades and they are trading the 2nd Gen for 1st Gen carriers for free. The Gen 1 will be used as rentals, this way you can rent one before you buy and try it out.
Customer service at its best.
They are in Co Cal.

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
Try “DirtCom’s trail swing”. I bought one and it is really strong and looks great and I really like it. It has options to carry gas can, fold down table and hi lift.
And check this out, they contacted all there customers and told them and they made upgrades and they are trading the 2nd Gen for 1st Gen carriers for free. The Gen 1 will be used as rentals, this way you can rent one before you buy and try it out.
They are in Co Cal.

That sounds like a good company to work with. I'm interested. Do you have any pictures?

Olderland

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Brett
Last Name
Haber
Member #

They are in Co Cal.

That sounds like a good company to work with. I'm interested. Do you have any pictures?

Attachments

Olderland

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Brett
Last Name
Haber
Member #

Trail swing by DirtCom is rated for 750lbs, you can tow with it or add a rack to carry wood.

Also the new Gen 2 design allows you to change any part that may wear out over time so you don’t have to worry about wearing it out.
I think it will work with 37” tires and and they make a bigger version for trucks that will hold much bigger tires.

Took it up to coyote Flats and funnel lake and it worked great and the tire never moved on the toughest trails and it tapers up so you can’t drag it on a rock or something.

They have a distributer but if you call the main number ask for AJ and tell them Brett told you to contact him you may get a special deal
Call the main office.

Reactions: Shahn

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
Trail swing by DirtCom is rated for 750lbs, you can tow with it or add a rack to carry wood.

Also the new Gen 2 design allows you to change any part that may wear out over time so you don’t have to worry about wearing it out.
I think it will work with 37” tires and and they make a bigger version for trucks that will hold much bigger tires.

Took it up to coyote Flats and funnel lake and it worked great and the tire never moved on the toughest trails and it tapers up so you can’t drag it on a rock or something.

They have a distributer but if you call the main number ask for AJ and tell them Brett told you to contact him you may get a special deal
Call the main office.
Awesome! thanks a bunch