Spare Parts

• HTML tutorial

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I am starting this thread for informational purposes. Mainly this is for long duration or remote trips. But also has to be taken into account based on how you drive and the type of vehicle you use.

History: In the past year I have either experienced or witnessed a shock failure while on the trail. These were both on FJ Cruisers. We were not rock crawling or bombing through the desert. Just out exploring. Both trips were either long duration remote or just remote. Recovery would be expensive. In one instance the portion of the shock that mounts to the lower forward control arm curled and broke off. In the second instance the top connecting shaft that secures the top-hat failed. Both of these are coil overs.

These experiences have lead us to always carry a front assembled coil-over and a rear shock. So in the interest of passing on information to Overlanders -

- What else should people be prepared for in your opinion?
- What spares do you carry when you go on a trip?

Reactions: sfsmedic

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I carry the following, based on my experince:

1. JB Weld
2. Duct Tape
3. U-joints (axle shaft and drive shafts)
4. Serpentine Belt
5. Water (for drinking, washing hands or overheating)
6 Front hub assembly

Other than tools and fluids that is all the spare parts I carry.

Reactions: NorthStar96

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Not an exhaustive list but a few of the main spares;
Wheel bearings and seals
Set of belts
Air Filter
Oil and Fuel filters
Oils
Coolant/Water
Radweld, rescue tape, etc

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Mine changes depending on where we are going but a couple that i always have would be
1. Spare belt
2.fuel filter (diesel gets a bit dodgy the further west and north you go) /Air filter
3.fuses
4.oil
5.cable ties and gaffa tape
6.coolant concentrate (makes up to 20ltr) and stop leak
7.bottle of Rum

ExploreDesert

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Menifee, Ca
Member #

Good preventive maintenance goes a LONG way when it comes to having to carry spare parts. Inspect, catch and replace worn/common components before hitting the trail. It's mind boggling how many people just drive their vehicles into the back-country without giving it a complete once over, spending time wrenching instead of wheeling because something simple and stupid.

Of course there is always going to be break downs that cannot be foreseen and stuff does happen, but I'd say 80-90% of issues can be prevented. I don't carry much in the form of spare parts. Basic fluids, spare belt, full electrical bag with testing equipment, tire patch kit, various nuts/bolts and the usual quick fixers like zip ties and duct tape.

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Inspection:

• Engine: Check/replace oil & filter. Check for leaks. Check air filter. Check belt and for noise coming from pulleys. Verify that scheduled maintenance items are up to date. Inspect motor/transmission mounts.
  • Cooling System: Never start a trip if vehicle has tendency to overheat. Check coolant level. Check for leaks. Check radiator cap. Insure hoses secure and not soft/spongy.
  • Drive Train: Check for leaks. Verify that scheduled maintenance items are up to date. Check for play in u-joints. Check front and rear bearings for play, roughness and noise. Check front drive axle joints and boots. Grease all zerk fittings.
  • Suspension & Steering: Check for play/stiffness in ball-joints, tie-rods, uniballs. Check leaf pack, shackle and mounting hardware. Check front coilovers/rear shocks for leakage and mounting points are secure. Grease all zerk fittings.
  • Wheels, Tires & Brakes: Check and set tire pressure. Check for punctures, tears & gashes. Torque lug-nuts. Inspect pad/shoe linings. Inspect brake fluid level. Inspect brake lines for cracking and that they have enough slack and clearance for turning and suspension travel.
  • Everything Else: Address any issues and/or concerns you had last trip. That thing on the back of your mind? Check it and fix it! Every vehicle has it's quirks and you should take care of them as needed.

The 6 P Rule by Explore Desert, on Flickr

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Good preventive maintenance goes a LONG way when it comes to having to carry spare parts. Inspect, catch and replace worn/common components before hitting the trail. It's mind boggling how many people just drive their vehicles into the back-country without giving it a complete once over, spending time wrenching instead of wheeling because something simple and stupid.

Of course there is always going to be break downs that cannot be foreseen and stuff does happen, but I'd say 80-90% of issues can be prevented. I don't carry much in the form of spare parts. Basic fluids, spare belt, full electrical bag with testing equipment, tire patch kit, various nuts/bolts and the usual quick fixers like zip ties and duct tape.

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Inspection:

• Engine: Check/replace oil & filter. Check for leaks. Check air filter. Check belt and for noise coming from pulleys. Verify that scheduled maintenance items are up to date. Inspect motor/transmission mounts.
  • Cooling System: Never start a trip if vehicle has tendency to overheat. Check coolant level. Check for leaks. Check radiator cap. Insure hoses secure and not soft/spongy.
  • Drive Train: Check for leaks. Verify that scheduled maintenance items are up to date. Check for play in u-joints. Check front and rear bearings for play, roughness and noise. Check front drive axle joints and boots. Grease all zerk fittings.
  • Suspension & Steering: Check for play/stiffness in ball-joints, tie-rods, uniballs. Check leaf pack, shackle and mounting hardware. Check front coilovers/rear shocks for leakage and mounting points are secure. Grease all zerk fittings.
  • Wheels, Tires & Brakes: Check and set tire pressure. Check for punctures, tears & gashes. Torque lug-nuts. Inspect pad/shoe linings. Inspect brake fluid level. Inspect brake lines for cracking and that they have enough slack and clearance for turning and suspension travel.
  • Everything Else: Address any issues and/or concerns you had last trip. That thing on the back of your mind? Check it and fix it! Every vehicle has it's quirks and you should take care of them as needed.

The "6P" Rule by Explore Desert, on Flickr

Very good write up,.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I like to do prep and inspections, I'm all over the FJ checking touching and looking. I service everything at half the time/mileage or what I find that needs attention. I do not want to carry spare parts, I don't have the room. I truly believe in the (Piss poor Planning Leads To Piss Poor Performance). I also have a really good towing policy!!!!!!

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

I like carry the following
-extra belt
-2 spark plugs
-2 ignition wires
-box of fuses/roll of wire/ and extra bolts and nuts
-extra ignition coil
-coolant
-oil and atf
-water and gas
-jb weld, zip ties, and duct tape
And last but most important...a flask of whiskey. That always helps calm me down lol. Everything I carry is from things I've needed on the trail from previous trips. And when shit hits the fan, I always have my AAA card with me.

Reactions: GoHeels

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I would like to thank everyone that has added their commentary and items. I will start to consolidate and place a document in the initial posting with this list. We can keep adding to it in the future. It will become a good resource for others to use.