Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

What spare parts for your rig do you consider ‘must haves’ before hitting the trail or going on an extended trip?

I’m also curious as to what drives your decision. Is it wear and tear due to the age of your rig, the risk of damage due to terrain/driving conditions, a vehicle specific part that’s prone to failure, etc.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Belts
A way to repair hoses like Rescue Tape
JumpBox - Some way to jumpstart your vehicle
Quart of oil
Sometimes an extra spare

I have seen people take shocks, coilovers, spark plugs and on and on. I think it really depends on how far out you are and how far the nearest shop would be. I am sure you will get better answers from others. Maybe @Road has some input. As you mentioned it depends a lot on the vehicle you drive as well.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I always carry a spare radiator hose and a spare belt. Had both on separate occasions prompt the idea. Had a old 94 f250 that would go through belts like crazy. Stopped driving ford products and havent had much worry sense. I make sure to have one belt and a couple of hoses and clamps. Also wire splicing stuff. Never fails to be bumping down the road at night and have lights go out that rubbed somewhere

This is a good question!! I always do research on what wears out the quickest on stuff I buy. Track record pros and cons. Vetting equipment helps with the upset stomach you get when you sign your life way or drop a stack of cash haha

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I always carry a spare radiator hose and a spare belt. Had both on separate occasions prompt the idea. Had a old 94 f250 that would go through belts like crazy. Stopped driving ford products and havent had much worry sense. I make sure to have one belt and a couple of hoses and clamps. Also wire splicing stuff. Never fails to be bumping down the road at night and have lights go out that rubbed somewhere
Wire splicing is a great point. I have that in my toolbox.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Off to a great start - thank you for the comments and input!

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

This is a good question!! I always do research on what wears out the quickest on stuff I buy. Track record pros and cons. Vetting equipment helps with the upset stomach you get when you sign your life way or drop a stack of cash haha
This opens up a can of worms...which hose? My 4Runner has numerous coolant hoses. Are you going to guess which one is most likely to fail and only bring that one or bring all the coolant hoses along. Also if your F250 was going thru belts like crazy that was a mechanical issue, not a Ford issue.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I carry the whole set of hoses... because your right there are more than one. The belt issue was a mechanical issue found out just before i sold it that a emissions pump was going out on me. But I blame the ford...ive had chevys fords and dodges mopar. The ford, chevy had problem after problem with them. Dodge has never let me down. I put 300,000 miles on a dodge in 2 1/2 years and never had one problem with it. Changed the oil every 5k swapped plugs at 150k drove it tell i bought a brand new one 2 years ago.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
This opens up a can of worms...which hose? My 4Runner has numerous coolant hoses. Are you going to guess which one is most likely to fail and only bring that one or bring all the coolant hoses along. Also if your F250 was going thru belts like crazy that was a mechanical issue, not a Ford issue.
Don't want to shock anyone but my rig looks like a parts store. I bought a used vehicle and the owner said he had never changed out anything. That scares me. I don't carry a spare engine but sometimes I wish I could. The best insurance though is to never go anywhere alone if you don't carry basis, water pump, alternator, main cooling hoses, stop leak for the Radiator, extra gas, oil, water, spare tire, jacks, U joints, brake fluid, hand wash and towels, axel grease, tire patch kit, tools, chain saw, compressor, battery cables, jump start pack, hand water pump with filter, hose clamps, rubber gas line hose, fuel pump, retrievel tools, winch, bolo knife, pocket knife, hunting knife, fishing equipment, bow and arrows, rifle, shotgun, hand gun, ammo for all, hunting-fishing liscense, and some sort of small solar charging kit. See I told you I am an auto parts store on wheels. You cant have too much but you can have to
little !
Lanlubber

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Don't want to shock anyone but my rig looks like a parts store. I bought a used vehicle and the owner said he had never changed out anything. That scares me. I don't carry a spare engine but sometimes I wish I could. The best insurance though is to never go anywhere alone if you don't carry basis, water pump, alternator, main cooling hoses, stop leak for the Radiator, extra gas, oil, water, spare tire, jacks, U joints, brake fluid, hand wash and towels, axel grease, tire patch kit, tools, chain saw, compressor, battery cables, jump start pack, hand water pump with filter, hose clamps, rubber gas line hose, fuel pump, retrievel tools, winch, bolo knife, pocket knife, hunting knife, fishing equipment, bow and arrows, rifle, shotgun, hand gun, ammo for all, hunting-fishing liscense, and some sort of small solar charging kit. See I told you I am an auto parts store on wheels. You cant have too much but you can have to
little !
Lanlubber
I owned my own semi for a while. Truck was 16 years old with a million miles on it. Bought it with a fresh complete overhaul on it. So engine was fine. By the time i sold it the whole truck was rebuild by this kind of thinking.. id never by one part alway two the one that went out and a spare. Cus you out 130k miles a year on something you know that part is gonna wear out. Or the other side will go soon. One is none two is one concept is huge in my life now but running that truck everything was bought in pairs.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

little !
Lanlubber
WOW! Ok no worries I'm not carrying anymore spare parts at all, I'll just call you!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I owned my own semi for a while. Truck was 16 years old with a million miles on it. Bought it with a fresh complete overhaul on it. So engine was fine. By the time i sold it the whole truck was rebuild by this kind of thinking.. id never by one part alway two the one that went out and a spare. Cus you out 130k miles a year on something you know that part is gonna wear out. Or the other side will go soon. One is none two is one concept is huge in my life now but running that truck everything was bought in pairs.
Makes since to me. It takes me 10 years to put that amount of miles on all 4 of my vehicles. But sitting is almost as bad as driving them. I live rural and the field mice or squirrels eat anything except solid steel. All soft parts including electrical are food for the little beast.

WOW! Ok no worries I'm not carrying anymore spare parts at all, I'll just call you!
1-575-555- 6666 :tearsofjoy:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Lots of good advice above... I carry a spare belt because even a new one may break or be damaged by something jumping up there... I once installed a brand new belt on Friday and actually had it break on Monday.. Talk about dumb luck... For most other things I really lean toward Preventative maintenance. I replace all hoses belts T-stats and other wear items before I expect them to fail and carry water hose repair tape and other repair supplies that may help me limp back.

Check and change all motor and drive oils at least once a year and after every time I do a major water crossing. I do upwards of 100 plus miles off road on some trips so keeping things in the best working order helps to minimize a possible repair on the trail... If that doesn't do it I can always call out on my sat phone or radio for friends to help out. I also have survival items like food, water, water pump, clothing, sleeping bags and seasonal survival stuff.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Lots of good advice above... I carry a spare belt because even a new one may break or be damaged by something jumping up there... I once installed a brand new belt on Friday and actually had it break on Monday.. Talk about dumb luck... For most other things I really lean toward Preventative maintenance. I replace all hoses belts T-stats and other wear items before I expect them to fail and carry water hose repair tape and other repair supplies that may help me limp back.

Check and change all motor and drive oils at least once a year and after every time I do a major water crossing. I do upwards of 100 plus miles off road on some trips so keeping things in the best working order helps to minimize a possible repair on the trail... If that doesn't do it I can always call out on my sat phone or radio for friends to help out. I also have survival items like food, water, water pump, clothing, sleeping bags and seasonal survival stuff.
Yes, it only makes sense to keep up on the maintenance. I service and inspect all my vehicles every 3 thousand miles and constantly look and listen to my off road rig the closest. I'm not hard on a rig but you don't have to be for something to go wrong when your 20-50 miles out in the boonies. I haven't been that far out in years but I'm planning to do a lot more when my rig is ready, and it will be in a few months. Cell phones (I don't have sat phones, or radio) don't work well in the wilderness especially in the mountains. If I break and cant fix it I can generally make it for two weeks, after that I'm a dead man at my age.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Yes, it only makes sense to keep up on the maintenance. I service and inspect all my vehicles every 3 thousand miles and constantly look and listen to my off road rig the closest. I'm not hard on a rig but you don't have to be for something to go wrong when your 20-50 miles out in the boonies. I haven't been that far out in years but I'm planning to do a lot more when my rig is ready, and it will be in a few months. Cell phones (I don't have sat phones, or radio) don't work well in the wilderness especially in the mountains. If I break and cant fix it I can generally make it for two weeks, after that I'm a dead man at my age.
Hahah shoot after being in the sticks for two weeks that spam will last 3!! We always had a rule or thumb in the backcountry horseback. Four legs are better then two but two legs will
Always get you home! Or your never stranded if you got a horse in the trailer. Had to walk out once. One of the few times was going to check on a camp with out a pack string and alone with a horse he stumbled broke his leg. Had to put him down. 6 hour hike home in riding boots. Never had to hike away from the vehicle. You cant eat it if you had to.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
What spare parts for your rig do you consider ‘must haves’ before hitting the trail or going on an extended trip?

I’m also curious as to what drives your decision. Is it wear and tear due to the age of your rig, the risk of damage due to terrain/driving conditions, a vehicle specific part that’s prone to failure, etc.
All of those reasons apply.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Outside of a tool roll that has basic tools (a multimeter included), tapes and a tire kit I don't carry many parts... even with over 300k miles on the Cruiser. I do carry a coil pack and a MAF sensor in the 100 series as those are the only parts that have ever started to fail on a trip.

For the MJ (200k) and TJ (140k) all I ever bring along are a few pieces of vacuum line and a few typical bolts in addition to the tool roll. I have thought about picking up a spare TPS for the Jeeps, but have never had one die on me.

I stay on top of maintenance and preventative maintenance, almost to a fault and am a very conservative driver on long distance trips. At this point, my longest trips are about 2 weeks, maybe I'll pack more parts as I approach a month+. It shocks me that some folks bring so many extra parts on a trip. I am already full of people + gear and can't imagine packing an additional 1/2 a Napa in the rig(s).

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Outside of a tool roll that has basic tools (a multimeter included), tapes and a tire kit I don't carry many parts... even with over 300k miles on the Cruiser. I do carry a coil pack and a MAF sensor in the 100 series as those are the only parts that have ever started to fail on a trip.

For the MJ (200k) and TJ (140k) all I ever bring along are a few pieces of vacuum line and a few typical bolts in addition to the tool roll. I have thought about picking up a spare TPS for the Jeeps, but have never had one die on me.

I stay on top of maintenance and preventative maintenance, almost to a fault and am a very conservative driver on long distance trips. At this point, my longest trips are about 2 weeks, maybe I'll pack more parts as I approach a month+. It shocks me that some folks bring so many extra parts on a trip. I am already full of people + gear and can't imagine packing an additional 1/2 a Napa in the rig(s).
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Always interesting and useful to hear different perspectives.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

If you were 84 years old and traveling alone I think you might carry a lot more spare parts.
Some people just need more security than others. With 300,000 miles on a rig, almost anything could go any minute without abuse.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
A gallon of premix coolant, engine oil, gear oil, tire repair, epoxy tape, wire. I have a fairly low mileage rig so I don't worry to much about belts and hoses.

Reactions: Specter