Southern California to Portland, OR

• HTML tutorial

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

I am leaving in a few days to Portland, OR. This will not be much of a Overlanding trip, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on places to see on the way there?

Also if anyone knows some good trails around Portland or on the way up that would be great!

I never explored NorCal let alone OR.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
If you have time go up the coast, 101. There are many places to see along the way. Redwoods, coastal beaches.....
But remember there can be a lot of construction going on where it will be limited to 1 lane with flagmen. Still an outstanding drive. If you can it will take a minimum of 3 days to really enjoy the trip.
In the Portland area there are lots of National Forests to visit west, east and north in Washington. Just up there over the 4th and visited the Guler Ice Cave and Ape Cave in Washington. Real fun.
Route For the Day.jpg Ape Cave Entrering.jpg Ape Cave Sign.jpg Ape cave the end.jpg DIrt Road.jpg Ice Cave Interior 6.jpg Ice Cave Interior 11.jpg Ice Cave Stairs 2.jpg

Reactions: XPlore

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Are you looking for driving trails or hiking trails when in Oregon?

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

If you have time go up the coast, 101. There are many places to see along the way. Redwoods, coastal beaches.....
But remember there can be a lot of construction going on where it will be limited to 1 lane with flagmen. Still an outstanding drive. If you can it will take a minimum of 3 days to really enjoy the trip.
In the Portland area there are lots of National Forests to visit west, east and north in Washington. Just up there over the 4th and visited the Guler Ice Cave and Ape Cave in Washington. Real fun.
View attachment 29295 View attachment 29296 View attachment 29297 View attachment 29298 View attachment 29299 View attachment 29300 View attachment 29301 View attachment 29302
Thank you! From what I have seen the 1 is still closed :( But I will check out those caves!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Thank you! From what I have seen the 1 is still closed :( But I will check out those caves!
The 1 south of San Francisco is still closed but the 101 all the way from So Cal is open, with delays due to construction in the Redwood area. Just traveled it from Crescent City to SF beginning of the month. Caves are great, my grandkids 9 and 12 loved them and the 2 YO enjoyed his adventure also. Adults had fun also. Bring a electric lantern and headlamps, it gets pitch black down there and the temps are in the low 40's inside the caves. Sweatshirts worked great for us. This adventure took all day and a great place for a good meal at the end of the trip is in Battle Ground, WA on the 503 and W Main St called Old Town Burger and Breakfast. Great food.
If you wish to see just the redwoods of NorCal just boogy up the 5 and cut over north of SF to the 101. We stayed the night at Burlington Campground north of Meyers Flat along the Avenue of the Giants and had a great night sleeping under the trees. 12 hours to the campground with an additional 8 hours the next day to Portland if you head back to the 5 from Crescent City.
RW camping spot.jpg RW big trees.jpg RW walking through a fallen giant.jpg

Reactions: XPlore

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

T
The 1 south of San Francisco is still closed but the 101 all the way from So Cal is open, with delays due to construction in the Redwood area. Just traveled it from Crescent City to SF beginning of the month. Caves are great, my grandkids 9 and 12 loved them and the 2 YO enjoyed his adventure also. Adults had fun also. Bring a electric lantern and headlamps, it gets pitch black down there and the temps are in the low 40's inside the caves. Sweatshirts worked great for us. This adventure took all day and a great place for a good meal at the end of the trip is in Battle Ground, WA on the 503 and W Main St called Old Town Burger and Breakfast. Great food.
If you wish to see just the redwoods of NorCal just boogy up the 5 and cut over north of SF to the 101. We stayed the night at Burlington Campground north of Meyers Flat along the Avenue of the Giants and had a great night sleeping under the trees. 12 hours to the campground with an additional 8 hours the next day to Portland if you head back to the 5 from Crescent City.
View attachment 29313 View attachment 29314 View attachment 29315
This is perfect!

Thank you!

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

You can take 17 into Santa Cruz, then roll the 1 all the way up into SF. When you pass through Half Moon Bay there are some great beaches ... cold water though... You can see the famous Mavericks. Stop at Sacrilege on Main st. for lunch and great micro brews. I live within walking distance and will come have a cold one with you.

A fun activity down in the Santa Cruz are is http://mounthermonadventures.com/ You can go zip lining through the redwoods and/or do an obstacle coarse 80ft off the ground... It's badass.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Mount Ranier is a must! We took loop 1 circling the mountain and it was epic! Suntop lookout is a nice little bonus off-road very easy and can be done in a car but for obvious reasons SUV or truck is best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terry Pickens