Southeast Beach driving and camping? Similar to Outer Banks?

• HTML tutorial

Nooga_Rock

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hi, I'm really interested in the outer banks islands you can ferry to and camp on. I'm hoping to find something similar that's a bit closer to me (Chattanooga TN). Is there anything similar around Charleston? Or maybe a SC, GA, AL, or the Close side if Florida?

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I know of Freeman park - been there a few times and it's always been a good time. If you go drive to the North end (Zone 3) gives you the most time driving and it's less traffic. Been on the beach in Corolla, NC as well and you can drive alongside wild horses which was, well, a wild time. I thought I might see 2 or 3 but ended up seeing a few dozen. Not sure of any other beach places.

Reactions: Sir William Goes

Jeffrey Hanke

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southport, NC, USA
Member #

Hi all. I’m moving to Southport for part of the year and am interested in outer banks, Carolina beach and other locations for my Jeep or 4Runner. Suggestions for entry points to these? Also, are dogs and camping allowed? Plan to do some fishing, metal detecting and enjoying the beach with wife and dog. I often bring guitar for campfire music with other musically inclined folks

Jeffrey Hanke

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southport, NC, USA
Member #

Hw is the putter Banks? Crowded or somewhat remote in June/July? Permit required? Camp fires ok.? I will be headed out at some point once get settled in NC

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

The Outer Banks has really gone down in my estimation.

In 2012 an activist judge from another state allowed the National Park Service to usurp the entirety of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreation Area. They began charging fees for driving on the beach. They call it an ORV permit. I define a permit as the government taking away your rights and selling them back to you. They come in two overpriced flavors: 10-day and annual. Prices are $50 and $120.

After that went down, Carova Beach turned into a parking lot. It took them 6 years to craft their own devious plan, but starting this year they are now charging a parking fee from Memorial Day to Labor Day. They offer passes at $50 for 10 days or $150 for the season.

I've been visiting my entire life and driving out on the beach for the last 20 years. Now I don't know when I might go back. Maybe hit Carova at the end of the season before it gets cold? We'll see.

RPDjeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton, NC
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Foran
Member #

You can also drive on the beach at Fort Fisher. They do charge a fee which changes depending on which day of the week it is.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Corolla, NC OBX doesn't charge. Driving on the beach is the only way some locals can get to their houses. I've seen people out there for the day with shade tents, chairs, fishing poles, coolers, dogs, etc. set up but I never saw any overnight tents/rtt. Nor did I ever see fires (but it was daytime). I should look into OBX beach camping myself though. It's a shame to hear about the Carova and Seashore Rec Area.

Freeman Park in NC has a permit fee as well but you can do anything you want out there - fire, drink, overnight camp, fish, fly drones, dogs.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Carova Beach and Corolla are essentially the same place. Carova Beach starts where the paved roads in Corolla end. The parking permit there is brand new this year. Also, no fires or camping there.

The closest thing there is to OBX beach camping is going to be something like Oregon Inlet Campground.
https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm The places you can camp on the sand you can't bring a vehicle - unless you go all the way down to Portsmouth Island.