Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

I've got a 1998 grand Cherokee limited that is in need of a rear end rebuild. May end up changing gear ratios while at it. There are a couple transmission shops locally that said they could handle it but I was really looking for an off-road specific shop. Anyone know of one in south Georgia? Or any local members capable of handling this task?

TheBeardedSam

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norman Park, GA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OSP
I've got a 1998 grand Cherokee limited that is in need of a rear end rebuild. May end up changing gear ratios while at it. There are a couple transmission shops locally that said they could handle it but I was really looking for an off-road specific shop. Anyone know of one in south Georgia? Or any local members capable of handling this task?
Choice Off-road in Valdosta and maybe Dirty South Kustoms (yes with a “k”... sigh) in Tifton

Bug out 1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

Thanks, I've heard of dirty south kustoms and I've driven by there several times, I didn't realize they did diff work. Thought they only did bolt on stuff and oil changes. I'll check them out.

TheBeardedSam

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norman Park, GA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OSP
Thanks, I've heard of dirty south kustoms and I've driven by there several times, I didn't realize they did diff work. Thought they only did bolt on stuff and oil changes. I'll check them out.
I’m not sure if they do, but they have an alignment shop now. They might know someone. Let me know if you find out. Mine need a good service.

Bug out 1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

I just called Dirty South Kustoms and they don't handle that type of work and the female who answered was not very professional. When I asked if she recommended any one she said NO, like I was asking here for government secrets. It kills me that the local shops (Tuff trucking, speed shop, automotive necessitys, etc.) that handle lift kits and such don't handle alignments or re-gearing. I guess all these jacked up trucks they lift are running around on stock gears and 40's and no alignment. I did find three local shops that would handle axle builds but all said it would be around $1500 just for a rebuild and to re-gear would be extra, and it is a three week wait, no appointments. You have to drop your truck off for it to get in line. Four wheel parts in Atlanta gave me an estimated cost of $2100 for both axles to be rebuilt and re-geared to 4.10, and they do take appointments. Est the job to take one day. Wish I lived closer to ATL.