John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
Apologies if this turns out to be a duplicate posting (browser choked on my phone)...I've been looking at the MVUM maps for this area and dispersed camping should be an option for those driving up. I plan to partake of it on my arrival Friday. If others are doing similar and want to gather in the same area I'm open to it otherwise I'll wing it and meet at the RP Saturday morning.
MVUM - Black Hills National Forest - Maps & Publications (scroll down and choose "northern hills" map)

Rules for dispersed camping in this area: Black Hills National Forest - Camping & Cabins:Dispersed Camping

Reactions: Mtnmn99

TheTBlock

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Sturgis, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Block
Member #

Double checked the trailhead and it's a bit rockier than this spring, but still more than doable with slow going. Might be a bit of a challenge if anyone is in a Subaru type vehicle class but I don't think it's unreasonable for them! Here's some pictures of the rocky spots if anyone is considering but unsure of coming!

Attachments

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I believe the rigs that are going are pretty set up, (not suburb) I will double check tonight.

Any snow?

Double checked the trailhead and it's a bit rockier than this spring, but still more than doable with slow going. Might be a bit of a challenge if anyone is in a Subaru type vehicle class but I don't think it's unreasonable for them! Here's some pictures of the rocky spots if anyone is considering but unsure of coming!

Flatland woodsman

Rank V

Explorer I

Alamo, ND, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Sutton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0QJX. WRK816 GMRS
Depending what type of overnight you are looking for, we have dispersed areas that I\'ve explored a few spots for, or quite a few USFS campgrounds. If you are looking for a campfire you will have to use a USFS campground in the forest as campfires and charcoal grills are banned currently otherwise!
If there are others, who are looking for overnight. I may be able to join. It would be great to meet others.
I am planning to overnight Saturday, and possibly Friday night.

Flatland woodsman

Rank V

Explorer I

Alamo, ND, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Sutton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0QJX. WRK816 GMRS
Depending what type of overnight you are looking for, we have dispersed areas that I've explored a few spots for, or quite a few USFS campgrounds. If you are looking for a campfire you will have to use a USFS campground in the forest as campfires and charcoal grills are banned currently otherwise!
If there are others, who are looking for overnight. I may be able to join. It would be great to meet others.
I up for any type of camping. Be interested in camping both Friday and Saturday. Just drop me a pin on where you guys plan to camp.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

TheTBlock

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Sturgis, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Block
Member #

Propane pits are allowed here so that would certainly be ok! I have a few dispersed spots I've marked and explored off a couple trails that would work and are surrounded by trees. I can camp Friday and Saturday nights, Friday I'd be able to be to one of the spots by 5:30-6PM after work easily

Flatland woodsman

Rank V

Explorer I

Alamo, ND, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Sutton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0QJX. WRK816 GMRS
Propane pits are allowed here so that would certainly be ok! I have a few dispersed spots I've marked and explored off a couple trails that would work and are surrounded by trees. I can camp Friday and Saturday nights, Friday I'd be able to be to one of the spots by 5:30-6PM after work easily
Have family things to do in rapid. Will get my permit. And head that way around 5ish. Just let me know which site you decide and I’ll head that way.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965