Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tollhouse, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Van Sciver
Member #

Looks like a great trip. How much of it was dirt tracks versus paved highway? Any must see places more towards the west coast of Chile? I am keeping a bucket list of places to check out when we do the panam in a few years.
Jason

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Looks like a great trip. How much of it was dirt tracks versus paved highway? Any must see places more towards the west coast of Chile? I am keeping a bucket list of places to check out when we do the panam in a few years.
Jason
Jason, you’re rigth, it was a great trip!!!

80% of this was paved highways. But consider, usually, the most beautiful places are on dirt tracks (my favorites! ;-) )

I don't know what exactly you like to see when you are on road, but I recommend some places on that region: Uyuni Salt desert; Ruta de las Lagunas (Bolivia); Purmamarca; Cachi and Cafayate (Argentine); San Pedro de Atacama; - A little bit to south you will have Pan de Azcucar Park (beach); Baía Inglesa, La Serena and Elqui Valley (Chile) - If you cross to Argentine again by "Paso Agua Negra" you will have a extraordinary view of the Andes Mountains, taking the south direction until Mendozza (The most famous wine territory in Argentine).

Check out these places on Web to find out what is really interesting for you… You will have a lot of places to visit until Ushuaia… How much travel time you will have for South America?

animaloverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tollhouse, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Van Sciver
Member #

Jason, you’re rigth, it was a great trip!!!

80% of this was paved highways. But consider, usually, the most beautiful places are on dirt tracks (my favorites! ;-) )

I don't know what exactly you like to see when you are on road, but I recommend some places on that region: Uyuni Salt desert; Ruta de las Lagunas (Bolivia); Purmamarca; Cachi and Cafayate (Argentine); San Pedro de Atacama; - A little bit to south you will have Pan de Azcucar Park (beach); Baía Inglesa, La Serena and Elqui Valley (Chile) - If you cross to Argentine again by "Paso Agua Negra" you will have a extraordinary view of the Andes Mountains, taking the south direction until Mendozza (The most famous wine territory in Argentine).

Check out these places on Web to find out what is really interesting for you… You will have a lot of places to visit until Ushuaia… How much travel time you will have for South America?
Gustavo...Thanks for the great info on places to see in the area! I will check them out on the web. We are always interested in anything to do with the natural world and wildlife of any kind. We will be in a self contained hard sided camper and plan to remote camp most of the time. Photography, hiking, scuba diving, kite boarding and fishing are some of the things we plan to do. We will spend 6-9 months in South America. Do you find the iOverlander app useful or do you use something else?
Jason

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Gustavo...Thanks for the great info on places to see in the area! I will check them out on the web. We are always interested in anything to do with the natural world and wildlife of any kind. We will be in a self contained hard sided camper and plan to remote camp most of the time. Photography, hiking, scuba diving, kite boarding and fishing are some of the things we plan to do. We will spend 6-9 months in South America. Do you find the iOverlander app useful or do you use something else?
Jason
Jason, We have some points in common. I love Photography, hiking, free diving… The last one I practice since 12 years old! ;-)
I usually use IOverlander and MapsMe. They work well on South America. Don’t worry about it…

Reactions: animaloverland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #