Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Hey guys, I know that I might be overreacting here, but something recently happened over the summertime in an NM forest. I had to write about it to make sense.
But if you were ever in a situation, in the bush or other, would you protect your family to the full degree?
See my post here and tell me what you think: Stranger in the Woods

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

You made the correct decision reporting it to the Ranger and not stopping. Your instincts are usually right. I wouldn’t stop either, especially down here in Florida. Not to long ago …..same thing happened in Ocala NF . Two POS on the side of the trail with car “issues” . The 2 females pulled a gun tried to carjack them. The Driver a local college student and his girlfriend that stopped, the driver was packing waiting for the right time to make a move. A shootout incurred the Driver who stopped was shot and killed. The Crackhead was charger with 1st degree murder.
Different times than the “old days” I don’t stop and won’t think twice.

Reactions: Tommys

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
hard to say without actually being there and feeling the vibe...

you said initially he was waving you off, so if he was wanting you to leave before reaching him, then i dont see how he could be wanting to attack you. like i said, hard to tell without being there.

there are too many "what-ifs", so the most prudent and logical thing to do is to vacate the premise and notify the ranger. you did the right thing. if my wife was with me, id do the same. if i'm solo and some dude is pounding on my truck as i go by...i would definitely stop because i'd let my temper and ignorance get the better of me :grinning:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I would say you did what was best for your family, paying attention to your surroundings and the little details like that vehicle did not belong there etc, and especially how your dog reacts are the best tools to make a quick decision that may prevent you from being robbed, or worse. While I have been a first responder for much of my life, when travelling these days a few occurrences like this that have happened to us have made us weary of stopping to help, often notifying the local authority of the situation is the most help someone like that will get from us. Seems like the first 10 or so miles from the pavement on forest service roads these days are ripe with people and vehicles that do not 'belong', we will not camp unless we have gone far beyond these areas. In your situation weather and the inability to progress much farther down the trail put you at a disadvantage since you were forced to pass back by the vehicle to make egress. Researching the maps and area before travel to get a lay of the land and potential alternate routes out of an area can be a huge advantage in case of something like this or even a situation caused by nature. During the early days of Covid we had been out in a nearby forest area testing some modifications to our Jeep and ran into a 'local' blocking a the forest service road with his truck. He was very intoxicated and yelling at us from the cab of his truck, I noticed he had a shotgun laying on his lap pointed at us through the door, knowing the only way out was forward, I made the decision to floor it and plow through the brush on the side of the road to get around his truck leaving the area as fast as we could.

Reactions: Tommys and grubworm

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
When in those situations out subconscious picks up on a lot of things that we consiousy do not. One of the big things is the baseline for the area and what is normal/not normal for the situation. Already going in the car on the side deviates from the baseline which consiously is easy to pick up on. Other things that sway our senses is the way people are dressed, act, body language, and communicate. Even if you didnt pick up on some of these, some or all of these where being picked up on by your unconscious brain that is in charge of your freeze, flight, or fight response. The concerns where also confirmed by your wife and dog. Dogs are usually mucb better at commilunicating they are uncomfortable because they inherintly act on it and want to protect their pack.

All of this is a long answer to say, your brain picked up on everything out of place and gave you a nasty feeling in your gut to protect yourself. This is a feeling that should be heeded in 99% of situations to protect yourself and those around you. It is also something that you should pay attention to when out and about and anyone comes across your camp, or just someone/something that doesnt fit in daily life as you move around your hometown.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Like Grubworm said, hard to feel the vibe without being there. That said, was he waving you away or waving you down for help? Was he pounding on your car because he was Ted Bundy or was he pissed you didn't stop and help and he had been stuck there overnight and lost his keys on his "hike".
I'd call the Ranger station and ask what happened.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The number one threat to your personal security is human, frequently feral and available in a wide range of colors and patterns.

In 2023, I would likely have done the same thing with a few minor changes .

Most importantly you contacted the people whose job it is to deal with this type of thing.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
If you were so scared, why did you drive past him? Why not just turn around?

Did you say he was in the trunk???? Yes I would quickly leave that scenario.

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

I used to live in El Paso and frequented all NM offered. At the time I would back pack with my two dogs and recall on several occasions meeting some strange folk in the absolute middle of nowhere. I carry. I do recall when moving there and a subscriber to backpacker magazine, an article about that area and marijuana farms in our national forests. I remember the article stating trails being booby trapped and such I remember finding irrigation tubing and such many miles in from the trail head. You were right and justified in leaving and reporting what happened, and I love when folks ask me if my dogs bite and I respond with only if I tell them to.. glad your safe.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Tommys Seems many have declined the opportunity to discuss this religiously.

I have three points to make, primarily concerning Jesus' story about the "good Samaritan" and the way we apply it to modern life.

1. In Jesus' lifetime down amongst us cruel sons of bastards we call humans, the guy he used in his story was literally dying. Obviously the guy you found was not in need of immediate medical attention.

2. In Jesus' lifetime, and particularly in his story, there were not regulating authorities and Emergency Medical Services available remotely by cellular telephone nearly everywhere in his area, or cars to travel quickly. Physically traveling to the next town on a donkey to report finding the dying dude in the story would have been as good as killing him. Now, we have other, and better, options to take care of these people's needs.

3. At the point at which the dummy starts attacking your vehicle, that's the point at which he forfeits any prior requests for help (using the term "requests" loosely). Jesus said to turn the other cheek, not invite your attacker over for dinner.

So, I'm gonna say you scored 4 out of a possible 3, Jesus-approved. The regulating authorities will take care of him, AND you returned good for evil (he struck your vehicle and you still called the rangers to help him). Win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommys and MazeVX

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
funny thing is that whoever that was on the road waving his arms is probably on a forum somewhere right now telling his story about how rude and unhelpful people are...:grinning:
I have always wondered how many of the urbanites out on their way back from hiking or some naturalist thing cross paths with me and lock their doors as I go by, we have not been reported to a ranger yet as far as I know .. lol

Reactions: DintDobbs

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
You made the correct decision, move on but follow up. Don't invite danger.
I to found a couple similar scenarios, not quite as awkward.
Couple years ago just outside of Yosemite on a few forest roads we came accross a camper van that had obviously slid down the embankment, quite precariously. Significant damage from hitting trees and rocks. Drove past but the spidy sense got me. We hadn't seen anyone on the road all day and wondered if an individual needed assistance. Told the wife to jump in the driver seat and I would hike down and check the van. There was no one in the vehicle but a note saying they hiked out to get help. Granted it was 5-6 miles on dirt road from the highway and only 60* during the day (teens at night). It being about 5pm we headed out with the intent to let authorities know as well as keep an eye out. We got to the highway just a bit after sunset and on the way down the hill to the Ranger Station we saw an individual hiking the side of the road. Wife and I devised it was likely the person from the van. After slowing to see the indavidual my wife's instinct kicked in and said don't stop. I had a full car with my daughters, we couldn't offer a ride and she instantly felt uneasy. We agreed to keep moving and simply notify the sheriff of the van and man. It was freezing and wet, dude just hiked 8 miles at 7000ft, likely staring and tired. Regardless of how bad it felt just driving past, I know it was the right decision.

Some strange things happen out in the middle of no where. Down right scary sometimes. Safety first.