Something different (Budget Overland Trailer Tent Build)

• HTML tutorial

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Market Warsop, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

In the interest of sharing and promoting cost effective and (somewhat) creative ideas I thought I would document my budget trailer build here.

Recently we were contemplating the purchase of a roof tent to be coupled with our VW Amarok pickup. Initially we were both enthusiastic at the prospect but having looked at some demo setups the limited 'living' space and access issues - height, lifting a child, going for a pee in the night) - had us reconsidering them altogether. That and of course the cost of purchase for something like a Tuff Trek 1.4 Deluxe with Awning coming near 2k with roof bars etc included.

Still craving that semi-outdoor experience and tempted to buy a cheaper quality, smaller used model I was checking out the ads on FB Marketplace and Ebay when I happened across something I hadn't considered. While not strictly Overland friendly I could see it's potential as outdoor accommodation and thought that with some work and with a limited budget it could be used with the truck.

Welcome to the CombiCamp 2000 Sport - a compact trailer tent designed in the early 60's and sold pretty much as originally made right up to the present day. Made in Denmark to a high quality these still command good money and have a following worldwide.

1681838225510.jpeg20230418_171840.jpg

Our example was manufactured in the early 1980's and is the smallest 'Sport' model offering a full sized 150x200 bed (large roof tent size) as well as and additional equivalent living space. The option al awning provides an additional 4mx3m area. In totoal that's an area of 5mx3m or 15m2.

For it's age it is in remarkable condition. Although there were issues to attend to:-

- It has a single hole in the canvas due to wear and tear.
- The canvas needed reproofing.
- Someone had fitted a trailer board to bodge the electrics.
- Minor fittings were missing.

20230408_190156.jpg

Here is the trailer as collected. Cost at this point £400.

It tows beautifully but due to the low height bounces a little sometimes. More on that later....

The beauty of the CombiCamp is the speed with which it can be erected. The main unit takes under 5 minutes to go from trailer to fully functional tent / sleeping area thanks to the simple all-enclosed hinged design. Check out the first few seconds of this later model. The design is virtually the same but the Sport doesn't use the locking bars.

Code:
<iframe width="858" height="664" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x4TgP12IvLA" title="Combi Camp Valley (2009) demonstration video (1/3)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The unit folds from front to rear.

20230418_171659.jpg20230418_171725.jpg

And with the optional awning....

20230408_195018.jpg20230408_195009.jpg

All in all it creates a huge space for the size of the trailer. It also offers a rack on top which can be used to carry bikes, storage boxes etc.

The trailer runs on 8" wheels and is unbraked as it weighs under 750kg .

Work so far has included:-

- inner bed tent and mattress washed
- Inside bleached
- Canvas cleaned (some stains remain, but after 40yrs most things have marks/scuffs)
- Body cleaned
- Trailer board removed
- Canvas liberally re-proofed with Fabsil
- Breakaway cable replaced
- Electrics tested on the truck via adapter

My immediate plan is to rewire the original tail lights and markers. I have good feeds to the rear so a sealed junction box and a bit of TLC should have them reinstated soon. I have a new number plate to fit.

AND THEN THE MADNESS BEGINS....

I Googled to see if anyone had done a suspension lift on a trailer tent before and oddly there were very little hits. Game on then!

To level the trailer with the truck I need to lift the main unit a few inches to correct the lean front to rear. But if I lift the truck, as is my intention that will need a couple more inches adding.

The trailer runs on a solid axle with torsion bar units mounted on plates to the chassis. It's quite substantial under there for a light trailer.

20230408_194850.jpg20230418_171738.jpg

A riser/spacer between the plates and chassis should be easy with some box section and longer bolts. Add a pair of 10" Mini wheels (same 101.6 stud pattern) and matching farm trailer tyres and we should see an easy lift.

I plan to use Weller Sport steel wheels to match the modulars fitted to the Amarok.

Screenshot_20230409_212200_Messenger.jpg

The only considerations I can see are that the tent base (roofrack) will need some additional corner support/extensions and the awning skirt will possibly need extending to adjust to the additional height.

At least that's the plan so far. I am chasing an original camp kitchen setup which goes on the drawbar and can be used in situ or removed and used elsewhere.

Am I mad? Who knows?

Answers on a postcard to:

The Funny Farm
Lift All The Things
Overland
UK

Last edited:

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

This looks like it could be quite a good idea for a lightweight overland trailer.
Wheels and suspension to suit the right height, the only potential issue I can see at the moment is how the fold out section works/fits to the ground, once the trailer is lifted?
Looking forward to watching this one :grinning::grinning:

Reactions: thesyncroviking

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

This looks like it could be quite a good idea for a lightweight overland trailer.
Wheels and suspension to suit the right height, the only potential issue I can see at the moment is how the fold out section works/fits to the ground, once the trailer is lifted?
Looking forward to watching this one :grinning::grinning:
Yes. I think getting around those concerns will be the trick.

Once I know the lifted height I can work out the gain. This can then be added to the roofrack (also the floor base), jockey wheel, drop legs and awning skirt.

None of these are particularly problematic reallly.

Reactions: nickburt

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

More on the CombiCamp kitchen unit.

Having found an online history I have placed my CombiCamp around 1985. Prior to this refreshed model CombiCamp offered a kitchen unit which clamps onto the drawbar chassis. It can be seen on the brochure cover below top right and bottom left.

A3_1-14.jpg

A simple design with a diagonally split reinforced plastic military style tub/crate the unit has slide out wash bowl, cooker shelf, chopping board and space for utensils, washing paraphernalia and a gas bottle. The unit can be removed from the drawbar and mounted on tubular legs.

A10_1-2.jpg

By pure chance I have managed to find one on it's own, seemingly complete and here in the UK. Needs a little TLC but appears complete and partially refurbished.

s-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600.png
s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

I haven't chosen which cooker to use yet (Coleman Unleaded double), Origo 3000 Alcohol double or gas canister single). Input welcomed on what is the best Overland cooking setup.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
What a cool old trailer! I've seem some newer offroad trailers that are very similar (I think patriot makes one).

Looking forward to seeing you use this thing!

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

What a cool old trailer! I've seem some newer offroad trailers that are very similar (I think patriot makes one).

Looking forward to seeing you use this thing!
I'm sure the Patriot trailers are much tougher engineered. But this is (for it's size at least') quite well put together. I don't plan on taking it on serious expeditions - just family outings and a bit of wild camping - but it should be sufficiently durable to get us where we need to be with ground clearance, suitable wheels and tyres and a little more thought to clever usability.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

About 5 or 6 years ago I looked at a similar trailer that was available from Coachmen. I think they have been discontinued. The tent portion was a bit smaller but what I really liked was how solid the floor was to stand on when opened up. It was off the ground so it was high and dry. The only down side I saw was that I would have used the top of the trailer for carrying a kayak (or?) when folded up. Any rack that I would have attached to the top would have had to be removed before opening the trailer up. I'm pretty sure I could have figured a way to get around this though. I probaly would have widened the axle and added 33" tires as well. :dizzy:

Overall ... it was a neat little trailer.

2018 Coachmen Clipper Express 180 #13RT3930 | Hartleys Auto and RV Center (cortlandrv.com)

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

The tent portion was a bit smaller but what I really liked was how solid the floor was to stand on when opened up. It was off the ground so it was high and dry. The only down side I saw was that I would have used the top of the trailer for carrying a kayak (or?) when folded up. Any rack that I would have attached to the top would have had to be removed before opening the trailer up.
Yes, that's appears to be direct interpretation of the CombiCamp design. The true advantage with this is that the rack is hinged of the top/floor panel and acts as a counterweight when opening the heavy tent section out. Then it becomes a base spreading the load across the ply floor panel. All while remaining integral to the trailer.

A4_1-5.jpg

I just need to make the rack usage as clever with bike racks, storage boxes etc. As I need to extend the height of the rack to match the lift I can hide these within the frame itself. So deeper storage tubs and bike mounts won't interfere with the floor/base position.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm sure the Patriot trailers are much tougher engineered. But this is (for it's size at least') quite well put together. I don't plan on taking it on serious expeditions - just family outings and a bit of wild camping - but it should be sufficiently durable to get us where we need to be with ground clearance, suitable wheels and tyres and a little more thought to clever usability.
I think it's a fantastic solution. And you can't argue the price!

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
When it comes to a base camp set up it looks good, gives you the added room and a bed off the ground. You can leave it set up all day whilst you head out and explore in the vehicle.
I used to look at the old coleman fold out trailer tents and wonder if I could make it work. In my mind I was thinking swap the original trailer chases for a Sankey chassis and bolt the tent section on.

Will follow with interest

Reactions: thesyncroviking

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Honestly, it really helps. Mainly in convincing me I am not bonkers for 'bucking the trend'/'fighting the tide' with this.

Sometimes it's finances, others necessity in the correct part/vehicle/equipment not existing. But it seems many times I find myself building something different, oddball and out there so I do question my sanity at times.

Great to have others showing an interest.

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

We all buck the trend.. I used a old road works notice trailer thing..

The problem at the moment is that Jeep died and the new one does not have a towbar yet..
I consider one of those and the generator / cable laying trailers byut it would have been a lot of work to getb one to accommodating the family. Looks great though and if I ever build something bigger that's the way I will tend.

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

A little update to the trailer project.

The Father-in-Law collected the kitchen unit via a detour to Brdlington on his way up to Whitby. I won the auction at £30 which at the time I figured was a steal even if the condition of the unit was poor. However, aside from being dirty from long term storage and faded from UV exposure the unit is pretty great.

It came complete with mounting fixings which clamp it onto the drawbar. I want to improve on this slightly to stop any side to side wobble where there is lateral play at the clamp but it's not imperative right now. I have put a strap around the end leg mounts as a precaution. A piece of steel U section over the drawbar will tighten up any play.

20230428_183957.jpg

There are plastic wash bowls which are used for washing as well as storage, a cutlery tray and a chopping board. Plus a period Lytham 3 burner gas stove plus 2 older gas bottles. All slide into dedicated spots in a sturdy internal frame. The stove might not be a permanent fixture but for our forthcoming long weekend in Wales we will give it a go.

20230428_184055.jpg

The unit came with the 4 legs so it can be sited on the trailer or around/inside the awning.

20230428_184004.jpg

After intensive cleaning inside and out the unit looks much more presentable. I removed the trailer board and fitted a new number plate in the correct position. I plan to rewire the lighting via a proper junction box over the next few days. I collected new wheel bearings this morning and tyres come Thursday. I'm not taking any risks as it's such an old unit, despite it's seemingly timewarp condition I don't want any breakdowns.

20230428_184238.jpg

It's the boy's first camping trip and I look forward to seeing him and how he deals with it. He's been brought up on a smallholding and spends plenty of time outdoors in nature with mud and stones in each hand. Snowdonia should be a treat for his young eyes.

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
Looking really good there mate, and that kitchen setup was a steal. Once your finished with the mechanical jobs it should last you for a long time. the lad looks eager to get going :)