Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I just read a post from my brother and sister in law on Facebook about their dealings with BDS while lifting their Rubicon Recon that I thought I should share.

"NOT HAPPY WITH BDS (an aftermarket company who specializes in the off-road market)!

This write up is for anyone involved in the off-road lifestyle, or knows someone who is. Feel free to share!

Written by Paris and David Wells

Just a heads up for those of you looking to do lifts on your Jeeps. Unless you are a stock, soft top Jeep Wrangler, do NOT order from BDS. We have bought no less than 6 lifts from them totaling more than $12000 and have had nothing but a great product and customer service, until this build.

Our Jeep is a 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon and was built with BDS' 4 1/2" lift, made to accomodate 37's (with the correct spacers to keep our rims we love) according to our measurements and BDS' website. Immediately after install, we noticed we did not net the advertised lift dimensions that we should have, and we rub both front and rear.

On the front, we rub on our metal skid plate. Yes, we can remove the plate, but we bought the Recon with this package. And on the rear, we are rubbing on our bumper end caps and inner fender. Yep, we can remove all of that and look ridiculous, but again, according to BDS, that wasn't necessary.

So in the end, we got a 3" lift, and not the 4 1/2" we paid for, and we rub. We are 2" lower in the rear 1" lower in the front from what we should've yielded. We called BDS to find out if we were given the wrong springs or if we are missing something. It was then that they informed us that they only design lifts for "stock", soft top, Jeeps, not those with hard tops, steel bumpers, or oversized tire carriers EVEN though that was "stock" from the factory on Recons, Hard Rocks, 10th Anniversary, or any other top of the line Jeeps. They've done no R&D (Research & Development) into these models and are making no effort to aid us in these problematic areas. We are having to buy isolators and spacers to correct this issue, something we are typically diametrically opposed to.

There is no credit, parts adjustments sent out, or buy back being offered. More or less, it's on us to fix and at additional costs. This was a company at one very recent point in time, we HIGHLY recommended because of their quality and "No Fine Print" warranty.

On a positive note, we have a good friend who lifted his 10th Anniversary with an A.E.V. lift and thus far, has had no problem with his and the cost was about $900 less. Best of luck!"

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have never dealt with that company before but, I have modded quite a few vehicles and choose my springs accordingly. I also wont buy from a company that specializes in all vehicle's. That tells me there is no R&D, just middle manning parts others have made and possibly putting their name on it. This should have been fixed with a bit of customer service. They appear to be a large company. Looking at their site, the 4door JK shows with a hard top. Your Rubicon package doesn't weigh enough to drop it that far. There didn't seem to be an option with or without hard top. That alone should have been an option.
I could see them having an issue with one of my vehicles but not an unmodified even with an upgrade package.
Shame on them.

Scott