Solo travel

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

One thing I have never done is a complete solo trip, one with just me; no passengers and no other vehicles. Obviously there is safety in having others around if you get stuck, it I've recently been thinking of trying a trip by myself.

I'd be interested to hear from others who travel alone; how is it?

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I try and take one trip alone every year. Generally I do not plan to much and just go for a weekend. I usually keep the food simple, backpacking food. Pack light and stay on fairly easy trails, getting stuck in the middle of nowhere alone sucks. Solitude in the mountains makes me happy.

Last edited:

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Above tips are good, I have done a lot of solo off-road adventuring on my motorcycle and, knock on wood, have been safe. Just err on the side of caution and you should be ok. Spot Trackers are great items to call for help if you have no cell service and there is no radio communication out there.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Make sure your vehicle is in tip top mechanical condition. Carry spares (and the tools) for parts that are known for failures and know how to replace them. File a trip plan with someone at home, and where you are going, like a ranger station(s). Extra water, food, and proper clothing for all weather conditions will give you piece of mind if you do get stuck.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I almost always travel solo. I plan things out more. I like to have a communication plan. Sometimes there is no cell phone service. So tell someone when I'm leaving and when I'll be back or when I will check in. Then I give them a later time like. If I haven't checked in by this time. Im between here and here. And update as needed. I also make sure my rig is ready and plan for the worst by keeping water and food and supplies if I'm stranded or need to hike myself out. I also avoid as many risks as possible. Because damaging my rig or getting stuck on my own is not fun. Then its time to be macgyver and get yourself back

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: CombatMech

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

When I lived in WA I only ever did solo trips. As long as you let someone know where you're going, keep to the easier trails (trails you know your rig can handle) and pack to suit the conditions you are fine. It always seems that people freak out about solo trips, I personally prefer them. As long as people know where you are gunna be you will be fine, just pack enough food and water and you should be fine.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have a SPOT I can reactivate (I let it lapse because I wasn't using it at the time), I also have a 75W 2M ham radio and a smaller handheld I keep in the car. I think all the known points of failure on my vehicle have been addressed and I keep it in good mechanical condition.

I'm thinking of maybe trying for a long weekend in Mojave this year. I missed the current trip, but I'd like to get myself far and away.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Mostly travel solo. Delorme inReach keeps me connected to my wife at home ( she's unable to join me on most adventures due to injury ) as I can text her from anywhere. She also can follow my trip on a shared map link. Helps share the adventure. I also carry a very complete first-aid kit, self recovery tools, extra fuel, food, water and misc emergency gear. I have a communication plan with at least two people before I leave and check in when I can. I keep my rig in tip-top shape, which is fairly easy as it's a Toyota and relatively new, but carry tools, fuses and misc repair stuff. And Duct tape.

I have to say the SOS feature on the inReach does offer some peace of mind. I carry it on my person when I leave the vehicle.

The biggest part of solo travel is to know your equipment, capabilities and limitations. Then have a plan if it all goes south...

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
At least 95% of my outings have been solo. The second you think - gee, a spotter sure would be nice - that's when you need to ask yourself who's going to come help me when I get well and truly stuck? If your route is making you nervous, reevaluate sooner rather than later.

If you know your rout before you go, leave it with someone, call them with changes. I almost never knew my route, I often didn't know which direction I was going until I was on my way.

If think you might not have cell service, get a SPOT. Cheap insurance, particularly when you accidentally break your leg.

For all the years before the SPOT or even before gps, and cell phones, I plead youthful stupidity, and an abundance of self confidence (sometimes misplaced). If you live, you get to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I do most of my travel solo since my wife works weird hours and has a hard time getting time off. I've never really seen those GPS messenger things before, but I'm definitely going to research them out, they seems totally worth it.

Reactions: NWNavigator

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I do most of my travel solo since my wife works weird hours and has a hard time getting time off. I've never really seen those GPS messenger things before, but I'm definitely going to research them out, they seems totally worth it.
Here's a write up I did on my personal blog, but you'll find others here are using them and have feedback as well. It works very well for my needs and I don't leave home without it. Travel safe!

JusCampin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Roseville, California
Member #

I've done many solo trips over the years. As long as you are well prepared and use your head while on the trail you'll have a great time. Everyone needs some alone time once in a while.

Reactions: NWNavigator