Solo run on Imogene Pass?

• HTML tutorial

4RMS

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi all, I'm looking for some feedback or pro tips on a trip I'm planning. I live in Oklahoma City and get to be in the Denver area for work for most of September. I'm thinking about taking the long way up. My thought is to drive to Silverton and then take Ophir pass to Telluride, and Imogene Pass to Ouray. From Ouray I'll up to Breckenridge and do the Peak 10 road, and then from Breck on into Denver.

This would be my first real off-road trail excursion. I have no doubt that my 4Runner (2014, 2" lift, Falken Wildpeaks) is up to the task, and I consider myself a competent driver. (Nothing can be as white-knuckle as driving a Yaris in a tropical downpour through the middle of Costa Rica on their mountain roads where the only other vehicles to be seen are old Samurais and FJs.) I'll also have recovery boards and a hi-lift. I've read all the trail reports I can find for Ophir and Imogene, and watched enough YouTube videos of the trails to have an idea of what I'd be dealing with, but I'd be doing it all solo. That's the only thing that gives me pause; if there was a group going I'd not be concerned about it being my first time up there.

So, good idea or bad idea?

Bulldoug

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Canadian Rockies, 'Berta, Canada
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Broich
Just got back to Canada from a road trip to Ouray and Moab. Did Imogene and Engineers along with the other passes in that area. I wouldn't worry about it at all, all were fairly simple trails with lots of other people around. I'm running Icon 2.75" Lift and 32/33s roughtly. Full skids with sliders. NO LOCKERS.

I also did the newish RimRocker trail, 160 mile trail between Montrose (just outside Ouray) across country to Moab. WOW, what a journey - a long ass journey. Saw everything from very well groomed high speed gravel to farmers fields to rim trails to river beds to rocky climbs to tight switch backs and then finishing off in the desert at Moab. Highly recommend it!

Then in Moab, I did the Poison Spider trail and Fins n Things in the Taco. It did just fine, went wherever I told it to. No winching at all. Left it behind for Prichett Canyon and other trails that I knew I didn't have the tire size or the lockers for...

Db

Reactions: 4RMS