Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
There's a variety of ways to enjoy the outdoors, and I like doing all three of the above. I generally don't do new trails solo, but is that okay? I have been doing this a while, and consider myself fairly experienced. One can plan ahead, and bring all the gear in the world, but still get into a bad situation. Do you find it best in that case to have another person along in your rig, or another vehicle? What's your comfort level in this activity?

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Terrain dictates. If I'm out goofing around and exploring by myself, I am a lot more cautious. If something looks a bit sketchy, I'll check it out on foot first. If it's all good, I'll continue on. But if I'm not comfortable with what I see, I'll usually mark it to come back to later with either a co-pilot or another rig (usually my wife).

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Usually like to go with Co-Pilot or with Second Vehicle (Group).
It's nice to share an experience, and you have the backup if something goes wrong.

I think the main point for me is the sharing.
It's nice to be alone and to experience something new and different, but for me, it's better to share the experience, and later the memories.

Main point to remember, is to leave details of where you intend to go, and what you intend to do.
Then, if something happens, emergency services will know where to start looking, and hopefully get to you without time loss.
Don't just riley upon GPS and other emergency notifications - it cost nothing to tell someone your plans before you leave, which is more detailed than just an emergency request coordinate.

Reactions: Bradb55 and Road

OffRoadAcc

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Tampa,fl 33604
Member #

I personally don't like to go out with only one vehicle, however if you have satellite or phone service then there's different apps you can use to track your trail route.

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
The job gives me weird schedules, so planning a group is difficult. Sometimes my wife serves as chief camp operator and spotter. But a lot of times I go solo (InReach, lots of recovery gear, a vehicle in great condition, and an abundance of caution). I also hike and backpack a lot and do those solo much of the time as well. I've always been told you should never do these things alone, just never by anyone who has. I find it extremely spiritual and uplifting to be alone and a great distance away from the rest of humanity, but maybe that's just me. Recently completed a 2-week solo run through SE Utah (Story and photos to follow when I get it all done). Great experience!

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

What I'm doing and who is available will often dictate who I go with. If bush crafting, camping, fishing, or hunting and I'm on familiar trails, I feel comfortable enough going alone or with a copilot. If exploring new trails or traveling in rough terrain, I always find another vehicle to join.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

The majority of the time ours is the only vehicle but typically with a co-pilot, it's normally one of my son's or my Wife. I like to go at my own pace sometimes driving long hours and others staying in the same location for longer than originally planned. Our trips are anything upto 40 days but average 20-25, we also take part in group trips but these are typically shorter weekend or one week trips.

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

A 2nd rig is going to be more valuable than a co-pilot, assuming just two people. If a transmission or motor goes, two people can keep each other company and help split the load on the hump back. But having a ride back into town is obviously preferable to that. A 2nd vehicle also simplifies recovery, and allows for that much more gear to be carried.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
There's a variety of ways to enjoy the outdoors, and I like doing all three of the above. I generally don't do new trails solo, but is that okay? I have been doing this a while, and consider myself fairly experienced. One can plan ahead, and bring all the gear in the world, but still get into a bad situation. Do you find it best in that case to have another person along in your rig, or another vehicle? What's your comfort level in this activity?
I prefer to travel with my family, especially my daughters. We went off roading last weekend and they were so happy to get into the mud it definitely made me smile.

Reactions: MBroenkow

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

If my family isn't with me, I will go by myself. I'm careful to pick trails and sections that I'm confident I can do alone. It's restricting far as what trails I can do, but I like the flexibility of keeping my own timeline for activities or otherwise.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I prefer to go with other vehicles but if they aren't available, I'll strike out on my own. I did find myself in a pickle on Poughkeepsie one evening close to dark. I had been running with some other guys all day and had a great time. They were done for the day but I decided to try and get one more trail in before dark. Fortunately, I got myself out a tough situation with my winch.

There was a moment there where I thought, no one else is coming by tonight and no one knows where I am. I would have been fine there overnight but it would have been an awful thing to put my family through, wondering where I was and if I was alright. I knew better than to be where I was when I was. Fortunately, there was no harm done and I learned a valuable lesson.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Safety in numbers! It is always a good idea to go with at leas one other vehicle.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I do a lot of solo driving and exploring, all over America, though if going anyplace new with potentially way rough terrain, if I don't scout it first on foot or on my bike, I just don't do it. I'll keep it in mind to do with a pal and another rig, not just co-pilot usually. I have no real interest in being part of a long line of vehicles, caravan style with any more than 4-5 rigs, all doing the same thing and waiting in someone else's dust for another vehicle to get rolling.

Small groups, yeah, you bet. Too many rigs, too many people all trying to do the same trail at the same time, not fun for me.

If going back-country anywhere solo and out of range of cell service, I definitely let someone know where, when, for how long, and when to send out the Mounties if they don't hear back from me.

Slowly teaching myself more about proper comms, locators, and survival techniques, which have all always fascinated me. Now I have a little more free time to more fully explore it all.

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My wife and I prefer going at it alone and have been now for over 25 years. Last year, however, for the first time, family members joined us in their vehicle on the WRT and then deep down into the Needles. The rest of our 6 week tour we went at it all alone. I'm good with that just about anywhere in the lower 48 states. It must be said though, we do have the abilty and all the gear to backpack to civilization if necessary. We also carry a PLB with us at all times. A trip to Alaska the back way, down into Baja, or a trip up to the Hudson Bay, I'd want to travel with only one or two other vehicles. I'm with Cort, I don't nor will I ever travel in large groups, ie, more than 3 vehicles. The only exception to that would be if we were to go to Africa, or Australia, rent a vehicle, all the gear, and hook up with a tour guide and a handful of other vehicles.

Reactions: Road

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
We always say in Search and Rescue... "You can go alone, as long as you take someone else with you."

Having a second person (co-pilot) is good, but having a second rig is better and having multiple rigs together in a group is best. I see some who want to go it alone, but in terms of medical, mechanical or mental issues, you alone may not be able to save yourself. Take someone with you. Besides, isn't that what being outdoors is about...sharing it with others!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Besides, isn't that what being outdoors is about...sharing it with others![/QUOTE]

Being out doors, or, in the wild, or, in the backcountry, means many different things to many different people. If ya got 50 people at a meeting and asked for a simple sentence that answers "What does (all of the above, whatever noun you prefer) ________ mean to you?" I'm sure you'd get 50 different answers and never the same answers the next day, week, month, or year. To my wife and I it is sometimes about enjoying the sublime beauty of solitude. (however temporary) We set up our basecamp and take a nice walk for a few miles or sometimes back-pack in and do an overnighter. Sure, we are together, so we aren't quite in a state of complete solitude, and over the course of a few days a passerby or two will stop in and we'll all have a nice visit. It can be very difficult to not see another person or vehicle traveling even the most desolate two tracks here in the lower 48. As desolate as this site appears to be, we did encounter 3 other vehicles over the course of four days.DSC02946.jpg

Reactions: ArmyofMike and Road

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@Captain Josh ,

I love doing all three.

I love to roll solo from time-to-time, especially if I’m hiking. I enjoy the solitude and its nice to escape from the distractions of everyday life. However, when I go alone I always leave a plan of where I am going, when I will be back, and what to do if I’m not back on-time.

My wife is my primary co-pilot, and we enjoy our time in the outdoors together. Me, her, and the kids will take trips often. Depending on where we are going, I’ll leave the same trip info as above so we can be found in an emergency.

Lastly, I enjoy going in groups for comradery, safety, and security. When things go wrong, you can’t beat having a trusted friend there to help. I’ve had to hike to a phone two times in my life, both because of dead batteries in the mountains. Both of these times I was in a group, but we only had one vehicle.

- Tyler

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Most trails are a few hours from where I'm located so I like to go with others if we are going to an offroad park even though I've never had any trouble there. On longer distance, easier terrain levels I don't mind going by myself. I always have a friend or my fiance with me though. Everything is always easier if you have more than one person.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
For everyone that rolls solo from time-to-time like myself, checkout my post on Trip Reports < here >. You never know when a short trip could turn bad and its always a good idea to leave your plans on file. I have a .pdf & .doc Trip Report template attached to the post.

Stay safe,

- Tyler