Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
The Dexter Torsion axles can be ordered so they have a 45 degree downturn. That puts the axle several inches above the centerline of the wheel. I almost hit the order button on that. I'd recommend it for any small trailer, over any other suspension type. They are smooth as butter and perform better as some of you described above. I've had it on my Popup for 30yrs.

However, my popup is much larger and wider than a standard overland trailer, so I opted for the Cruisemaster system. Yes, the shocks are about 3-4" below centerline, but that is next to the wheel. They perform better than a solid or tosion axle and are built much better. I didn't want to risk hanging up that 1" square tube axle and have my diesel truck just keep on pulling. Probably wouldn't feel it. lol The Cruisemaster's in theory would get dragged over it and hold up better to any abuse. They are also very serviceable and can be suited to your particular weight.

There are several videos out there comparing the same trailer on leafs, torsions, Timbrens, and swingarm/independent. The camera is right there under the frame. You can make that judgement just watching the videos for yourself. Plus the Aussies have gone independent 15yrs ago and don't they hold the bar for this stuff?:tonguewink:
I’m going to look at the cost of those

TX_Big_Rig

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Texas, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
M.
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5IWN
I’m going to look at the cost of those
Cost of what? If the Cruisemaster, and you're worried about cost, then don't bother. lol

If the Dexter, then they are cheap as hell for the performance you get, and definitely order the 32 or 45 down angle so you get a ton of lift with the small axle sitting up against your frame.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I'm paying freight and import costs that equal exactly what I paid for the suspension kit itself. I'm betting even with loading up full containers, they are facing the same costs to get those trailers here. Then there's resale taxes, dealer fees, etc. Did you try comparing the same trailer in AU dollars over there?
In USD the patriot x3 is advertised at $56k and change. No idea what it includes( or doesn’t). I make no claims wether it’s worth it or not, just making the observation.

TX_Big_Rig

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Texas, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
M.
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5IWN
In USD the patriot x3 is advertised at $56k and change. No idea what it includes( or doesn’t). I make no claims wether it’s worth it or not, just making the observation.
After doing the currency conversion, the Australians pay $46,000us and we pay $53,000us (on sale from a local dealer). That's a $7k difference, most likely for the reason I mentioned.

Maybe if the US would get off it's butt and make a comparable and reliable trailer......

Reactions: Ctblackmon

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
After doing the currency conversion, the Australians pay $46,000us and we pay $53,000us (on sale from a local dealer). That's a $7k difference, most likely for the reason I mentioned.

Maybe if the US would get off it's butt and make a comparable and reliable trailer......
I guess I don’t get the point you’re trying to make. While the Austria stuff is awesome, it’s expensive, as proven by your previous statement.
Cost of what? If the Cruisemaster, and you're worried about cost, then don't bother. lol
I’m not making any statement wether it’s worth it or not, it’s just a commentary on the price tag.

BTW, I’ll take a HIVE camper over patriot any day of the week and twice in Sunday’s. The patriot is super cool and packed full of features, but for the payment amount I might as well buy a vacation condo!

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
These trailers are getting crazy expensive. We bought a used trailer and are slowly making it into what we need for not much cost.

TX_Big_Rig

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Texas, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
M.
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5IWN
I guess I don’t get the point you’re trying to make. While the Austria stuff is awesome, it’s expensive, as proven by your previous statement.

I’m not making any statement whether it’s worth it or not, it’s just a commentary on the price tag.

BTW, I’ll take a HIVE camper over patriot any day of the week and twice in Sunday’s. The patriot is super cool and packed full of features, but for the payment amount I might as well buy a vacation condo!
They are expensive because they are purpose built, cater to a small market, handmade, and thoroughly tested in the environment they were built for. I don't think other standard camper trailers are that much more, but their quality is horrendous. They fall apart on the lot. Or how about other US specialty brands that you pay up front and then never deliver?

I'm not arguing that these campers are NOT expensive, but that their price is justified. I don't have one and never plan to but am amazed at what they can do. People build their own nice rigs all the time, but they'll never build one as well as these at the price.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

That video is deceiving with the fact one style has a huge benefit of shock absorbers.
I bet the independent suspension would behave quite differently if it didn't have shocks and ditto for the leaf sprung setup if it had shocks.
One thing often overlooked on trailers is balancing the tires, while it may not make much difference off-road it makes a huge difference on-road. It is especially noticeable going over bumps like a railroad crossing, a trailer with balanced tires returns to a smooth ride quite a bit quicker than one with unbalanced tires.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That video is deceiving with the fact one style has a huge benefit of shock absorbers.
I bet the independent suspension would behave quite differently if it didn't have shocks and ditto for the leaf sprung setup if it had shocks.
One thing often overlooked on trailers is balancing the tires, while it may not make much difference off-road it makes a huge difference on-road. It is especially noticeable going over bumps like a railroad crossing, a trailer with balanced tires returns to a smooth ride quite a bit quicker than one with unbalanced tires.
That’s very true, my trailer is really light at 1,000 lbs loaded. No shocks. people following me are amazed at how it tracks perfectly and does not bounce around much at all. My secret has been outed, balance the tires & run only about 20 psi.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

They are expensive because they are purpose built, cater to a small market, handmade, and thoroughly tested in the environment they were built for. I don't think other standard camper trailers are that much more, but their quality is horrendous. They fall apart on the lot. Or how about other US specialty brands that you pay up front and then never deliver?

I'm not arguing that these campers are NOT expensive, but that their price is justified. I don't have one and never plan to but am amazed at what they can do. People build their own nice rigs all the time, but they'll never build one as well as these at the price.
Turtleback trailers are USA built and direct competitor to Patriot. They are a reliable company and make awesome trailers. yet, there are lot of USA companies which I would be very nervous about buying from (Moby1 didn’t do anyone any favors). But a comparable Turtleback is nearly equal in cost to a Patriot. A lot of people say the Patriots are not worth the cost but ‘worth’ is a very relative term. I can rent a trailer at Home Depot and fill it with camping gear. It’s all about what works best for you and what you’re comfortable paying for. When I was shopping for a trailer, the suspension was something to note, but not the main event. I don’t think my trips will ever be made or broken by the type of suspension I’m running.

we bought a Patriot X1 and have no regrets. It was expensive, but worth it to us. It checks all the boxes and then some. The little military trailers didn’t excite me because they didn’t make camping any more enjoyable than having all that same stuff in the back of the SUV. And the teardrops are nice, but just not for us. The trailer purchase was a ‘whole package’ thing. And it rides very very nicely on its independent, shock absorbing suspension. I’m very confident that any limitations to my travels will never be a result of having the wrong suspension.

Last edited: