Member I

LA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Nathan
Member #

2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 Freedom Edition

Up for sale is my 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Freedom Edition. I purchased it with the intent of building it out over time as an exploration rig. Unfortunately, my finances have changed, and now it's time to adult up and make the hard choice.

TL;DR:
  • MY 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ Freedom Edition
  • VIN: 1J4FF48S5YL211737
  • 188,xxx miles (gets driven a few times weekly; my commute is about 5 miles round trip)
  • Located in LA
  • Clean Title
  • Just passed smog test
  • Photos here
  • Price: $5,999 — relatively firm

The Jeep:
I'm the 4th registered owner of this Jeep. The first owner bought it new and drove it for 14 years and ~170k miles. Owners 2 and 3 were a father/son duo who put another 15k miles on it between them before I picked it up last November with 185k on the clock. It's just over 188k now. It's never been in an accident or had any body work done. Clean Carfax report should you choose to run one. I have receipts covering ~$5,000 in maintenance and upgrades over the last few years.

This rig is a perfect starting point for your overland build or adventure mobile. Throw a rooftop tent on and hit the Mojave Road or the Alabama hills for some overlanding or start modding it further to suit your needs. We've had it out and about in Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego with zero issues. The previous owner ran the Mojave Road in it. It's ready to rock and roll on most trails.

The Nitty Gritty:
  • Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Freedom Edition (essentially a Sport with some cosmetic upgrades)
  • Venerable 4.0L inline 6 engine
  • ~188,xxx miles (rising slowly; I have a less than 5 mile commute, daily)
  • 4 door
  • 4 wheel drive (4x4) with the NP242 transfer case that gives you full time, part time, and 4lo 4WD in addition to your road-worthy 2Hi
  • Grey cloth interior with Husky heavy duty floor mats
  • Original Jeep build sheet is available here: BuildSheet Red 2000 Cherokee.pdf Red 2000 Cherokee.pdf?dl=0
  • NO accidents
  • NO CEL (yes, I'm sure it works)

The Good:
Previous owner added:
  • 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift
  • 5 Pro-Comp wheels with 31" BFG All Terrain tires that have tons of life left in them (4 mounted, 1 full size spare that's never touched pavement)
  • Previous owner replaced the head. The 2000 and 2001 Cherokee is known for having an issue with the head cracking; replacement should mitigate this concern.
  • Swaybar disconnects
  • Chrysler 8.25 rear axle with Detroit Locker
  • Slip Yoke Eliminator
  • Bilstein 5100 shocks
  • Rubicon Express U-bolt kit and track bar
  • Front CV 1310 Driveshaft
  • Kenwood Bluetooth head unit with USB Input and external speaker (works perfectly with my iPhone for listening to Spotify and making calls)

Added since I purchased:
  • Iron Rock Offroad front tow hook kit
  • KSuspension Headlight Harness
  • Hella Halogen headlights and bulbs
  • New turn signal switch
  • A/C recharge — blows cold
  • New radiator
  • New thermostat housing
  • New temp sensor
  • New e-fan
  • Full radiator flush
  • Oil Change
  • Alignment
  • Serviced transfer case and differential

The Notables:
  • This is a "10 foot" vehicle. It has some light pinstripes and a few door dings once you get up close, but from a few steps back, it looks awesome.
  • One of the fog lights is dead (and the other is kinda useless). They could do with replacement.
  • The vinyl on the edges of the driver seat is cracked/worn.
  • The driver's side window regulator needs to be replaced. The window rolls up and down just fine, it just doesn't know when to stop (makes a clicking noise at full open/closed). I've used it as-is since I purchased it with no issue; you simply can't use the "auto down" feature.
  • A few squeaks and creaks commensurate with a nearly 20 year old vehicle.

Feel free to shout with any questions (dannyATamongmany.com). Sale is CASH ONLY.

Last edited: