AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I am selling because I have a unique opportunity for an upgrade. Trailer is based off of a M116A3 Military trailer platform and has been heavily modified to become a great offroad/overlanding trailer. It has been used on the following trips in the 15 months since its completion: Utah Border to Border, Baja Mexico, and the Idaho Border to Border route along with countless other trips both on and off-road. It is a proven platform with over 10,000 miles of use. Completed in May 2015. Fairly unique design based on the Turtleback trailer. I wanted to build a DIY version with a similar design.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

Even your dogs can fit!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Estimated weight when loaded?
No clue but I can give you a better answer on Monday. I'm going to get the trailer weighed then. It will have no gear in it but will have 32 gallons of water. After that it really depend on what you want to put in it.

I have no issues pulling it with my V6 FJ. I will post up as soon as I have a #.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

No clue but I can give you a better answer on Monday. I'm going to get the trailer weighed then. It will have no gear in it but will have 32 gallons of water. After that it really depend on what you want to put in it.

I have no issues pulling it with my V6 FJ. I will post up as soon as I have a #.
I am curious to hear what the weight ends up being. It's a beautiful trailer that has everything AND the kitchen sink, but I am sure it exceeds my TJ trailer weight limitations.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I am curious to hear what the weight ends up being. It's a beautiful trailer that has everything AND the kitchen sink, but I am sure it exceeds my TJ trailer weight limitations.
What's the limit of your TJ?

A full tank of water is around 265 lbs. I don't always fill it. Just depends on the length of the trip and availability of water. If you have a V6 I would think you would have no issues. A 4 cylinder would be to weak for sure. I found a commercial scale by my house. I will go there no later than tomorrow and get it weighed.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Just got the trailer weighed empty and with all my stuff. Nearly bulked out as if I were doing a 2+ week trip.

Trailer weight:
Empty No Water - 1775
With 32 gallons water - 2040
With gear including 10 gallons of fuel 2320
Trailer no tent or water - 1625

This puts my trailer within 100lbs of a Turtleback trailer. So I'm very happy with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: WJ - Firefly

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So close to having the money together for something like this. This looks awesome, I wish I could take it off your hands!
Keep saving! :) It's an awesome trailer. If it doesn't sell I will be happy to keep it. I will just have to pass up on the other opportunity.

Reactions: jdunk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Another minor modification was completed today. I swapped out the bulky taillights for new flat LED ones.

Don't worry all of the wires are tucked up properly. I was just testing everything.