Contributor I

Kennesaw, GA, USA
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Wishnia
Member #

Hey everybody,

I’m looking to get a solar setup. Now I don’t have any idea on how to build a decent auxiliary power setup. I know Renology has a 100w solar starting kit but that doesn’t help me with an auxiliary battery. Black fire makes a good looking power bank but I’m not sure how to charge it with a renology solar panel.

The basics I’m looking for are a rack mounted solar panel capable of powering many lights, a fridge, a water pump, and maybe a few other plug ins. Preferably I’d like to start with it charging the black fire power bank, and then move to being able to run the black fire power bank and a second car battery.

If you’ve got a set up please share photos, or if you have diagrams/ instruction I’d also love to see those!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Here's my setup. It's not permanently installed and I don't always bring a panel with me, depending on the trip, though I have considered mounting a panel on top of my Jeep permanently even if it's not always used.

Reactions: PCO6 and Wallygator

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

Not to thread jack here but I was going to post something very similar until I found this. I do have a question though regarding the solar controllers. What is the function of it and how does it tie in? I've also been looking for diagrams.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Not to thread jack here but I was going to post something very similar until I found this. I do have a question though regarding the solar controllers. What is the function of it and how does it tie in? I've also been looking for diagrams.
The solar controller will monitor the battery. It's also a cutoff to stop it from over charging. I'll post some pics of my setup in a few.

Reactions: Dseck63

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I've got this.

You can also go portable with one of these. This is the 90W kit with a built in controller.

20191103_082044.jpg

I have it mounted to my frontrunner. I wired it down the back of the truck and through a hole under the carpet in the floor. That's where I mounted the controller. From there, you run the controller to the battery through the firewall. By no means am I an expert. It was actually very easy. If you have any specific questions let me know.

\85240856_10157973148903544_2631464112218963968_o.jpg

88214958_10158032555613544_1406048576177438720_o.jpg

87774109_10158032555818544_6575059236085039104_o.jpg

89207698_10158032555888544_3513190137531990016_o.jpg

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

The solar controller will monitor the battery. It's also a cutoff to stop it from over charging. I'll post some pics of my setup in a few.
Interesting, so the controller works as a relay I suppose? Charging only when needing it? I have two Optima batteries on a t max isolator, even using the 12v instead of my inverter and the freezer will run the battery down quickly. The alternator will take it but bottom line is it's not charging the battery back up as good as it should be. I'll be following his post

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Interesting, so the controller works as a relay I suppose? Charging only when needing it? I have two Optima batteries on a t max isolator, even using the 12v instead of my inverter and the freezer will run the battery down quickly. The alternator will take it but bottom line is it's not charging the battery back up as good as it should be. I'll be following his post
Correct. It'll show you how quickly it's charging, voltage, battery condition, etc. You can easily plug it into both batteries. You can also link a second solar panel to it for more power.

Reactions: Dseck63

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

Thanks for the pics and the info, I'm putting the pen to the paper when I get home to bookmark some parts.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Think of it as a voltage regulator similar to the one in your car except it doesn't have to rectify the voltage from AC to DC since the panel is already outputing DC current. If you were to hook a solar panel direct to a battery you'd be putting over 20 or more volts into it unregulated. It would boil the battery in short order.

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

Think of it as a voltage regulator similar to the one in your car except it doesn't have to rectify the voltage from AC to DC since the panel is already outputing DC current. If you were to hook a solar panel direct to a battery you'd be putting over 20 or more volts into it unregulated. It would boil the battery in short order.
Finally I'm understanding this a bit more I think. I've seen these kits online and had been wondering if it would help my setup. thanks!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I followed this video to setup my Renogy 100w solar kit from Renogy. Panel is installed on roof rack above cab, then wired to the charger controller, inverter, and fuse box installed inside camper shell.

4BA4CF46-549C-4BFB-AE6A-DEBE7CA6E023.jpeg

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I’ve been watching will Prowse for a while, learning about solar. I too will be following his tutorials. I like that he tests numerous components of different manufacturers and lets you know what to avoid. My project for my Sierra will start shortly after we are freed and I can shop.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I’ve been watching will Prowse for a while, learning about solar. I too will be following his tutorials. I like that he tests numerous components of different manufacturers and lets you know what to avoid. My project for my Sierra will start shortly after we are freed and I can shop.
Yup such as smart kid and explains stuff in a way I can even understand.

Reactions: Bluegrass rules

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
"DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse" is a great resource for information and diagrams, installing, Charge Controllers, BMS, how to match system components, etc.. Definitely check him out for tons of information. Go with a LiFePo battery...you can discharge them farther than lead acid, and they last WAY longer. Pay a bit more up front, but save a boatload in the long run. Here's the URL:

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Between Will Prowse and the book "solar and 12v power for beginners" I was finally able to wrap my head around building my portable solar 12v system.
I wanted something that would charge from pv panels or from vehicle alternator output and something I could use in the truck for camping or at home if PG&E decides to shut the power off again.
It took a while and this is my second, smaller version (dimensionally) but it works!

200w pv, Redarc bcdc1225d, Battleborn 100aH lifepo4, 1000w inverter, lots and lots of fuses and wires.

Last edited:

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Between Will Prowse and the book "solar and 12v power for beginners" I was finally able to wrap my head around building my portable solar 12v system.
I wanted something that would charge from pv panels or from vehicle alternator output and something I could use in the truck for camping or at home if PG&E decides to shut the power off again.
It took a while and this is my second, smaller version (dimensionally) but it works!

200w pv, Redarc bcdc1225d, Battleborn 100aH lifepo4, 1000w inverter, lots and lots of fuses and wires.
Great Job!