Solar panels and theft

• HTML tutorial

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Ok call me paranoid, but I try to always either keep my gear locked in the car or a pain in the ass to steal if I leave it out. I do this even when we're in the middle of nowhere.

So I'm looking into a solar setup and honestly can not figure out what people do when you guys hit up the bigger/populated campsites. Do you just toss your panels out and hope nobody walks off with them?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Ok call me paranoid, but I try to always either keep my gear locked in the car or a pain in the ass to steal if I leave it out. I do this even when we're in the middle of nowhere.

So I'm looking into a solar setup and honestly can not figure out what people do when you guys hit up the bigger/populated campsites. Do you just toss your panels out and hope nobody walks off with them?
Rule #1 - People suck
Rule #2 - One has to determine their willingness to mitigate issues from people who participate in rule #1
Rule #3 - Karma exists and if people steal your stuff somehow someway they will be punished and you will be rewarded for being trustworthy

Many of the suitcase style setups have a handle. You could run a simple cable lock through it. But see rule #1 and then factor in a determination level to steal your stuff and proceed accordingly.

Short answer :) I don't lock mine.

Sent from my iPhone expect typos, grammatical errors, and any other invalid excuse.

Reactions: montyPR

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I think, that you hope everyone that are camping around you are all honest and on the same wave length. I like to meet the people camping closest to me and access them and mention to them if im staying in camp that I will keep a eye on there stuff and hopefully return the favour.

Reactions: 1Louder

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

I run a cable through the handle as suggested but this ultimately will only be a delay and not a preventative for a determined thief.