Solar Panel Size

• HTML tutorial

Toupswrangler

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm just getting started with my overland camping journey. I'm about 80% done with my first DIY trailer but have no idea on what size solar panel I need to keep up but I feel certain you guys/gals have the answer. I'll only be using one deep cycle battery to power a water pump, a few LED lights, and possibly to recharge phones/pads. Any idea what I'd need to keep the battery topped off?? I know it depends on how much demand I'll put on the battery but I'm thinking it'll be minimal. I'll only use water during meal prep and cleaning up after and I'm only installing 2-3 small LED's for area lighting.

I have no idea whatsoever on watt rating vs recharge time??????

LOVE this site and thanks in advance for any help on this!!!

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
its a big subject too.
now where you gonna mount it?
do you need a rigid panel in a frame?
A semi flexible panel? or even a panel to fold up and store away.
a 100Watt panel will charge your battery at approx. 5 amps/h on a good sunny day, half that on a cloudy day.
That will be good enough on your described usage.
You can also charge that battery through your vehicle/trailer connection. Battery charges as the car engine is running, gives your trailer battery a bit more help.

Last edited:

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Currently using 150 watt, but I have more wattage consumption than you.. it’s better to have more than less. I am currently charging three odyssey agm and another emergency backup just Incase. D5064E6C-916A-4C24-A816-4992F82339C9.jpeg3B0D3701-222E-4BC5-AD6B-15FBF2767756.jpeg03EF4CA4-0454-4AF9-9F2D-EAC62E99E88C.jpeg

Last edited:

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I had an 80w semi-flexible panel permanently mounted on my FJ’s hood. It worked great, providing enough power to run my 50qt fridge full time. It was managed by a VictronConnect charge controller.

45187352801_b5269561e0_o.jpg

Reactions: Wallygator

Enthusiast I

Springville, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Rod
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VORSHEER
We use ACO Power 120W fold-able solar panels with our solar package that we offer on the trailers that we build. The price and quality is tough to beat:
They can hang off the trailer or have a stand that can allow you to position them relative to the sunshine. Long cord too to get them out of the way.

Reactions: RoarinRow

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

We use ACO Power 120W fold-able solar panels with our solar package that we offer on the trailers that we build. The price and quality is tough to beat:
They can hang off the trailer or have a stand that can allow you to position them relative to the sunshine. Long cord too to get them out of the way.
That seems expensive to me. 120 watts is good. What makes this panel worth the money compared to

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I had an 80w semi-flexible panel permanently mounted on my FJ’s hood. It worked great, providing enough power to run my 50qt fridge full time. It was managed by a VictronConnect charge controller.

View attachment 120216
Any more details on which panel you used? I have heard these flex type panels do not last very long, sometimes less than a year, did you experience any durability issues with your panel?

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Any more details on which panel you used? I have heard these flex type panels do not last very long, sometimes less than a year, did you experience any durability issues with your panel?
I would also be curious as to how much power the various off brand panels actually make. I have read a few reviews and the advertised rating and the real output in good sun was very different.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

My panel was rock solid for just shy of three years. I removed it when I went to sell the vehicle. I’m going with a pair from the same company next month for my current build. I did learn that with these panels less is more when it comes to mounting. I used a LOT of 3M bonding tape, and am pretty sure I damaged the 80w when I removed it. I’ll test it when I get my new setup in place since I might use it as a portable panel in the future.

The panels are by lensun, so they are not generally considered off brand or cheap. I was concerned with reliability since I wanted to run my fridge 24/7 and was right at the min number of watts to do it. The new setup will be running 110 watts of the same panels.(bigger hood!)

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have this similar setup in my rig. I got the kit from Amazon and battery directly from Renogy.

Good tutorial on how to put it all together.