Enthusiast I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
JaC
Last Name
att
Service Branch
Army
Greetings, new guy here. I have a dual battery setup and looking for solar panel recommendations. I'm using the Redarc 1225d 25a and it has a built in solar panel controller. Manual say 'must use with unregulated panel', but being new to solar I have zero idea who manufactures solar panels, let alone 'unregulated'. So kick me in the right direction to start the research and buying please. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jclavell

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I buy my solar panels from Continuous Resources or Rich Solar. Unregulated means a solar panel without a built in solar charge controller, a lot of the folding solar panels have them built in. I would go with ridged panels if you have room for them. If you get flexible panels, look for "RV with Tito" on Youtube as he came up with a way to mount flexible panels so they can be removed and also have some cooling.

Reactions: Road and jclavell

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
I've been using an unregulated portable folding panel from Togo Power the TSP-120F. It's a 4 panel 120 watt output.

It's waterproof, well made and comes with good cable. It has zippered pocket for the cable, adapters and the manual. It is free standing using the folding legs or It can be hung by its grommets. We often lay it over the windshield.

We use a standard fixed framed 150 watt panel from Rich solar for our roof top. I have it attached but with adjustable pitch and it's removable for when we are camped in the shade.

The folding Togo rig is compact and super portable but the roof top Rich is nice because it is always on duty.

Attachments

Reactions: DMS1 and jclavell

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Solar panel efficiency for a lot of the most popular vendors is around 16-18%. Better panels made from better cells--that can still gather power in partial shade, are wired more efficently, have less reflective top coating, etc, all making them just overall more efficient--can be 25-30% more efficient than lesser made panels (adding 4-6% efficiency).

The current trend is towards flat flexible panels, though if you end up finding a good deal on efficient folding panels with a cheap charge controller on the back it's usually quite simple to cut it out of the loop and bypass it with your own wiring.

I have two terrific and super-efficient 120w folding panels (with Sunpower Maxeon cells) that I've done that with because I like my choice of charge controllers better, and prefer the controllers to be closer to the batteries for greater efficiency, not at the panel.

For best panel efficiency, it matters who makes the cells and makes the panels (not just the vendor who is selling finished panels with their name on them). Not all panel vendors source the same cells/panels year after year, so what they sell this year may not be the same efficiency as what they sold last year, or will sell next year.

Here's a great page that may be of help, IF you can find who actually makes the panels for your vendor of choice: Most Efficient Solar Panels On the Market - scroll down to see the current top 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMS1

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I’ve been using a 160 watt foldable from Offgridtec for quite a few years without any issues or noticeable reduction in performance.

Clarkk

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Clark
I recommend this Renogy flexible solar panel to anyone who wants a stealthy, super-flexible, and solar-efficient panel for different applications. It can resist 5400 Pa of snow and 2400 Pa of strong winds. Its junction box is also IP68-rated, making you feel more comfortable about the product’s safety and performance. This flexible solar panel is as tough and robust as conventional solar panel systems.

Last edited:

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I fully agree. Very well trusted company the Renogy. I used the Honk Kong based custom made solar panels called Lensun Solar. Sent them my drawings and created custom made ones for 500 USD.

Attachments

Noeltfg

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Seattle
First Name
Laurie
Last Name
Andersen
For solar panel Renogy, Goal Zero, HQST, and Bougerv are great well-known manufacturers . I personally use the BougeRV CIGS Flexible Solar Panels 200W 12V, Truly Bendable Solar Panel Made of Thin-Film Solar Cell, Off-Grid Stable Output for Marine Yacht RV Vehicle Curved Surfaces (200W Flexible).

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I would recommend staying away from flexible solar panels if possible. I had 2 different brands, a chinese brand (5 panels) and renogy (4 panels) all 9 panels lastes less than of then lasted less than 6 months and got heat spots. The renogy panels actually started peeling back the top layer and water started to get inside the panel. I have switched to all bougerv hard panels and will never go back.

Reactions: dstock

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I would recommend staying away from flexible solar panels if possible. I had 2 different brands, a chinese brand (5 panels) and renogy (4 panels) all 9 panels lastes less than of then lasted less than 6 months and got heat spots. The renogy panels actually started peeling back the top layer and water started to get inside the panel. I have switched to all bougerv hard panels and will never go back.
Agreed!

I just had an Overland Solar flexible panel fail after 6 months of use. As it turns out, the flexible panels need to be adhesively mounted on a flat surface or adhesive mounted to a very rigid frame with lots of crossmembers. Renogy actually says their semi-flexible panels must be mounted using adhesive to a smooth flat surface.

I've got a couple Renogy rigid panels and a folding rigid briefcase panel I got off Ebay at least 10 years ago and have never had a problem.

It's back to rigid panels for me!

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Don’t buy cheap flexible solar panels. The small amount of savings doesn’t pay off in the long run.

Pictured below is a good example as to why. Renogy flexible panel (above) failed in 2 years, then upgraded to a quality flexible panel made by Merlin Solar (below). Merlin is sold around the world for military, marine and commercial fleet use, all flexible panels. The roof or hood of a 4wd overland rig can be some of the harshest conditions for a solar panel to live. Vibration, dirt, heat, and objects hitting or sliding over these panels require a rugged built panel. I wouldn’t bother with a delicate glass panel which is why rugged built flexible panels are the way to go. Check out Merlin here:

5A75C6DC-4E1E-4B44-A340-45F6F6D5A0A3.jpeg