Nokesville, Prince William County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
Well I just ordered the Bluetti AC200 Solar generator to use for both my rig and my Airstream. Nice thing is that it has a 30amp plug for it. Having said that I want to mount 3 100watt solar panels on the roof of my ARE topper.

Has anyone put solar on the roof of their topper? If so can you post up some pics of the install?

Thanks!!

Reactions: 9Mike2

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I don't have any pics, but a couple of months ago I put 3 - 100 watt solar panels on my F150 with a snug top topper, I used 2 strips of unistrut on the snugtop and attached the panels to that. , before that I had 1 - 100 watt sunpower flexible panel, but it sucked. If I have time tomorrow I will take a picture and post it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wellspring

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Make sure there is some space between the panels and the topper, so air can circulate and cool them. Hotter they are - less energy they make.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have an ARE topper on my tundra with a 50w panel on top. i have a cargo basket that i always keep on and i just mounted the panel to the front of the basket and have room in the rear for propane tank and totes. no way this would accommodate 3 panels.

IMG_2110.JPG

i also have an offroad camp trailer with two 100w panels. i have yakima track mounted to the roof and i took 1" aluminium angle and bolted it to the track, which raises it off the roof by over an inch and is low enough profile where my panels are still below the crossbars. that gave me an air gap and i can still use my crossbars without problems. if i stack totes on the cross bars, i will block the sun to the panels a bit, but overall this has been a great setup for nearly 3 years.

1648303704473.jpeg

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a 200 watt "flexible" panel on my trailer. I knew direct mount isn't as efficient, I was shocked how much loss there is. I will be making some spacers to lift it up a bit for airflow to regain some. As everyone said, airflow.