Contributor I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Arthur
Last Name
Swingler
Member #

Tread on solar power gear:

What do you guys use for power when out on the trail wheeling?
Also while at camp?
I've been doing a lot of research on solar power and solar generators! Seems like the perfect match out here in the socal sun!
Whats your guy's take on some solar gear like Jackery products? They have a range of wattage solar generators that can be charged with solar pannels an all in one kit! ☀

Portable Power Products - Jackery

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
If you're handy you can try designing and building one yourself. It's pretty easy, and while you might not save a ton of money, it's a fun project and you can spec your design to fit exactly what you intend to use it for. I designed and built this one myself. I built it out of a spare pelican case I had and used a spare deep cycle AGM battery (not in the picture). The remaining parts and wiring cost me under 100 bucks. Getting a case and the battery will be the biggest cost, but it's doable, a fun easy project and can save you a lot of money if you already have a battery.

I built this one with the intention of using it on my camping trips to charge my camera, gopro batteries, satellite messenger, phone, and also to run stuff like my small air compressor, or anything else rated to 400 watts. I even put a quick connect on the solar charge controller so I can charge the battery with a solar panel. I also have a charger at home, and during my last trip to death valley, it had more than enough juice for the entire trip without needing a re-charge. We also have a lot of black outs here in CA, so it's handy for home use when that happens.

JtTribe

Rank 0

Contributor I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Arthur
Last Name
Swingler
Member #

Very cool! Thats way above my knowledge ha ha. I appreciate your input though. Looking to pick up something with a warranty.

Can you provide some input on the benefits of having power systems like this and how its worked out for you and your family?

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Sure, before I built this, if I needed power I would hook up an inverter to my vehicle. That would require running the motor. Also, I would only he able to charge small devices when I was driving. With this power station I'm able to set it up in my camp and everyone who needs some juice can just plug into it. I can keep it perpetually charged via solar panel, but on my last trip it had enough juice and then some to power all of my devices. My coworker was joking that he wanted to borrow it and bring his espresso machine with him on his next trip.

It also gives me some piece of mind for when we have blackouts at home. I have a 100 gallon reef tank and I can use this to keep the Heaters and filters running until the power kicks back on. Way easier than busting out my gas generator.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Hope my wife doesn't see this thread lol. j/k.
  • Jackery 500 for portable use
  • Solar suitcase with built in charge controller
  • Solar battery charger and maintainer for rig
  • Solar panel on top of cab connected to inverter
  • Solar battery charger for gadgets

JtTribe

Rank 0

Contributor I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Arthur
Last Name
Swingler
Member #

Awesome news! This just confirms that its a good product. Also very useful for other situations not just offroad/camping. I'm thinking it will have other purposes too for example a day on the lake to have power for phones and portable speakers. Even power outages to have as a backup for our phones especially since now most of us use our phones as alarm clocks too lol

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Built my own solar generator. There's stuff I've removed since then but we use it quite a bit even at home. We have frequent power outages and I drag it in to run emergency lights and charge cell phones and what not. We save the gas generator for more extended outages to power the refrigerator and whatnot.

I rarely take the solar panel with me. Unless I'm going to be gone for a week I'll never run the box out of power just running lights and charging phones. I also switched my rope lights to USB powered instead of 12V powered. Should extend battery life even more.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hope my wife doesn't see this thread lol. j/k.
  • Jackery 500 for portable use
  • Solar suitcase with built in charge controller
  • Solar battery charger and maintainer for rig
  • Solar panel on top of cab connected to inverter
  • Solar battery charger for gadgets
I was looking at the GoalZero and saw the Jackery. I have a number of cig lighter style, USB, and house plugs in my truck, but as was mentioned, I really have to be running to charge well. I may go with a smaller unit, since I can still rely on the truck engine to help charge the power pack

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I was looking at the GoalZero and saw the Jackery. I have a number of cig lighter style, USB, and house plugs in my truck, but as was mentioned, I really have to be running to charge well. I may go with a smaller unit, since I can still rely on the truck engine to help charge the power pack
All fun gadgets and nice to have. Of the list the only ones that get used the most is the Jackery and the solar panel that is semi-permanently on top of the rig.

Reactions: grubworm and Downs

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I run a 50 watt panel on my cruiser to keep the battery up when I'm not driving. I dont think it will keep up with the 30qt fridge kept in there. I don't care because if im camping out of it, it gets driven. My M-100 trailer has a 120 watt that kept the group 24 battery charged. It mostly powered a fridge. My new trailer has a 200 watt mounted on the roof. That powers a group 24 battery, fridge, lights and whatever I use camping.
Your not too far from me. If you ever want to see what I use for panels, controllers... let me know.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I run a 50 watt panel on my cruiser to keep the battery up when I'm not driving. I dont think it will keep up with the 30qt fridge kept in there. I don't care because if im camping out of it, it gets driven. My M-100 trailer has a 120 watt that kept the group 24 battery charged. It mostly powered a fridge. My new trailer has a 200 watt mounted on the roof. That powers a group 24 battery, fridge, lights and whatever I use camping.
Your not too far from me. If you ever want to see what I use for panels, controllers... let me know.
i run the same thing...50w panel with 35ah AGM in the camper shell of my tundra and our tear drop has 200w panels and 100ah battery to run the dometic fridge, etc.

Reactions: RoarinRow

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Another option (ifyou're handy or mechanically inclined) would be to look into installing an auto charge relay. What this does is it enables you to run a secondary "house" battery that can power refrigerators, lighting, appliances, etc. out of your vehicle using an inverter. The house battery will be tied in parallel to your starting battery but only connected when the auto charge relay senses that the motor is running. Once the motor is running, the relay allows both batteries to be in parallel and the alternator will charge both batteries. When the motor is off, the relay cuts the connecition between the two batteries so that when you are powering devices with the house battery, it only takes from the house battery, leaving the starting battery charged and ready to start the vehicle. I hope I explained this in a way that makes sense, if it still doesn't make sense, just google or youtube "auto charge relay".

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Another option (ifyou're handy or mechanically inclined) would be to look into installing an auto charge relay. What this does is it enables you to run a secondary "house" battery that can power refrigerators, lighting, appliances, etc. out of your vehicle using an inverter. The house battery will be tied in parallel to your starting battery but only connected when the auto charge relay senses that the motor is running. Once the motor is running, the relay allows both batteries to be in parallel and the alternator will charge both batteries. When the motor is off, the relay cuts the connecition between the two batteries so that when you are powering devices with the house battery, it only takes from the house battery, leaving the starting battery charged and ready to start the vehicle. I hope I explained this in a way that makes sense, if it still doesn't make sense, just google or youtube "auto charge relay".
One of two standard ways to install a second battery. I have the tray in the engine compartment of my Sierra. I got a second battery and am in the process of gathering all the cables and connectors, as well as the GM multi-purpose relay, so I can actually install it all. But some other things took precedence. But this is another part of the direction in which I'm going

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a 100wt. folding solar charger and a aims controller, it’s used to charge my 2 lithium batteries for my fish finder. I could use it a truck batterie if needed, but I do carry jumper for that. I am old school and try to stay away from mission critical stuff that is powered.

JtTribe

Rank 0

Contributor I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Arthur
Last Name
Swingler
Member #

I have a 100wt. folding solar charger and a aims controller, it’s used to charge my 2 lithium batteries for my fish finder. I could use it a truck batterie if needed, but I do carry jumper for that. I am old school and try to stay away from mission critical stuff that is powered.
Thanks for you input!!

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I use a 180W Zamp suitcase panel. It does a good job of charging my 2 100A batteries. However, I don't have a big electrical demand, either. My system powers several sparingly used led lights and charges electronics - iPhone, Mac and iPad.

DD1BCB2A-65A7-4B6E-A5CE-31A2BC73CF64_1_201_a.jpeg