Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi, I am going up also but will not be on your time table. As I have been in the area before and local intel says the rooms are all booked up I am guessing Water Canyon will be too. Another thing to be aware of is Water Canyon is that, a canyon. Located on the NW side of the mtn the early morning eclipse might not be so viewable from there.
If you get up early and go out into Grass Valley and set up you will be OK. Otherwise try to find a place on the West side of a valley to camp in, to view from camp in the morning.
Hope this helps! Clear Skies!

XPLORx4

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Galt, CA, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Thayer
Thanks for the tips. If water canyon isn’t a good option, do you have any other recommendations for a good site?

XPLORx4

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Galt, CA, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Thayer
Thanks for the tips. If water canyon isn’t a good option, do you have any other recommendations for a good site?

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
@XPLORx4 Check out this area for possible back up 40.93075, -118.06064
Only downside is that it's next to RR tracks. Has a decent eastern view according to google maps.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We are thinking of heading down to Crater Lake area from NW Washington, 9 hour drive each way with a 50/50 chance of rain according to my weather app. We went to SE Idaho for the total eclipse a few years ago and it was totally worth it.

Reactions: genocache

XPLORx4

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Galt, CA, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Thayer
I am now thinking that a better location will be viewing from the Winnemucca Sand Dunes. Since the eclipse runs from about 8-10am, it really doesn't matter too much where we spend the night, as long as it's a reasonable driving distance from wherever we will view the eclipse. I suppose the issue for me is the fact that I'm unfamiliar with the region, and it'll be dark when we arrive. The site near the train tracks is a bit far from the annular center of the eclipse, so theoretically we could camp there, but I wouldn't want to view the eclipse from there.

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I am going to have to drop out. Weather forecast does not look good enough to justify the drive.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I made it out by Eureka, NV, had around 4 min of annularity with clear skies for the event. I wrote it up in my blog; Annular Eclipse Trip

View attachment 268004
Glad to hear it went well and you had clear weather. We were just east of Crater Lake National Park and had pretty heavy cloud cover. We did manage to get some glimpses of the eclipse every now and then, so we will take that as a win. Was pretty cool looking behind the clouds, but did not fare well for photos. Glad we went.

Reactions: genocache