Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canoga Park, CA 91303
First Name
James
Last Name
Morin
Member #

I am interested in adding solar option to top-off the battery on my rig. I don't run a dual battery and after powering various device when being out for a couple days, the voltage drop on my battery concerns me. While researching PWN and MPPT controllers, something I cannot find is if the controllers use stages to charge the connected battery. I have run and Odyssey in my rig and I believe that battery brand likes a multistage charge. I was looking at Renogy and Overland Solar controllers. For any of you running a such a system, what controllers are you running? Do you use one that does a multi-stage charging?

Thanks for sharing your insight!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The Renogy PWN 30A charger controller that came with my kit charges in stages. The LED lights on the controller tell you what stage it's in.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Renogy Rover 20a with the Bluetooth module.

jmorin41

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canoga Park, CA 91303
First Name
James
Last Name
Morin
Member #

I really like the versatility and quality of the Redarc products, but they are out of my budget. I'm currently leaning toward the Renogy Adventurer PWN 30A. I'll add a blue-tooth module later if I like the way it works. Looks like that model come in two flavors; regular and one that adds lithium battery compatibility. Not sure if it's worth adding the lithium compatible version that also include a USB charging port. I guess it couldn't hurt since it's backward compatible with your normal sealed, gel or flooded.

For those with the Renogy, where are you mounting? In your engine bay or maybe in a kit that you break out when you need it? If in the engine bay area, any concerns about water proofing or excess engine heat near the unit?

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Victron for my last 2 projects
Smartsolar units have bluetooth built in which is great to monitoring your setup, use and power production.
Best thing about Victron is they work with higher input voltages which means you can use bigger cheaper panels.
I have a 300watt 40v panel that was only $150, residential panels are always the cheapest.

Instead of the BMV712 battery monitor there is a new Smart Shunt that is bluetooth and fantastic.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Victron Is wonderful charging my battery, changed the stages to match the battery manufacturer recommendations and it makes fantastic use of my hard mounted panels with the sun they get.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

jmorin41

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canoga Park, CA 91303
First Name
James
Last Name
Morin
Member #

Where are you mounting your PWM/MMPT solar controller? Is it your engine bay or maybe part of a mobile kit that you break out when you need it? If in the engine bay area, any concerns about water proofing or excess engine heat near the unit (specially if cheaper unit like Renogy)?

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

mine is mounted high in the engine bay next to the battery, has been fine there for years now.