Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I am looking for a new and more organized way to store my sockets in the rig. Currently they're in a snap-top container in my tool bag. I used to keep them in my tool roll when I used it but didn't like the tool roll after running it for some time. I am considering using the clip style organizers but also want other opinions or other solutions. Thank you in advance!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I don’t like the clips. They fall right off. Craftsman and Ernst make socket racks with balls on each block, like a ratchet. Sockets don’t come off of those kind.

James
I believe the ones I am looking at actually have the ball to hold the socket on. I have clips for one set of allen sockets and they fall off all the time.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
My truck sockets are on the regular metal rails, in a tool bag, and I’ve never had a problem with them. My home sockets in the toolbox are on Hansen trays, or the off brand equivalent. Loose sockets drive me crazy.
I hated the loose sockets as well when they were in separate compartments in my tool roll. At least now they're not quite as loose in the containers, but it drives me crazy searching for the right one, especially in the drive size.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I use a blow mold case. I didn't want to move tools from my rollaway to the truck and back so I waited for a super sale on a complete set in a case. Good old horrible freight.

Reactions: WanderDawg

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I have an older Sears Craftsman Mechanics blow molded case that is great for this kind of thing also... good suggestion...

Right now my offroad toolbag has sockets all over the place because they fell off the metal Harbor Freight clip on racks. They are super cheap and flimsy.

James

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

Bailing wire through them all and twist to lock in the loop.
This is close to what I do. I used a cut up piece of RCA cord to make loops according g to drive size and sae vs metric. I have since gotten rid of my sae. I then keep these in an ipsy bag I stole from the wife and keep that in a tool roll. Works well for me.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I only carry the sockets I need for my rig. This reduces what I need. Then I use the small plastic drill/driver bit boxes from dewalt or Milwaukee. I keep one box metric one standard, and 1 for extensions

Reactions: Graeman

4SEVEN3

Rank 0

Traveler I

Grand Prairie TX
First Name
John
Last Name
Farmer
I have socket rails from Lowe’s hardware, the nice aluminum rails and plastic clips. They work awesome and keep the sockets in place.