So, Where Are All Of The 2020/2021/2022's Waiting On Chips?

• HTML tutorial

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Not sure I follow, what is the point you are trying to make and how it related with a 'general overland discussion'?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Thousands of them piled up in parking lots. Remember?
What I had heard was they literally didn't build anything. As a vehicle goes down the line, the computers are tested and everything is calibrated. The man hours setting this up afterwards would be huge.
The longer a new car sits unsold, the lower its value is.
Does that mean no one built cars missing computers? No, never say cant happen. If they did, there would be some low mileage good deals on stuff floating around.

Reactions: grubworm

Dougnuts

Rank I

Enthusiast I

What I had heard was they literally didn't build anything. As a vehicle goes down the line, the computers are tested and everything is calibrated. The man hours setting this up afterwards would be huge.
The longer a new car sits unsold, the lower its value is.
Does that mean no one built cars missing computers? No, never say cant happen.
Ford did, for a while. They had thousands of trucks parked at the Kentucky Speedway. My guess is they eventually had to curtail production due to more widespread shortages.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Ford did, for a while. They had thousands of trucks parked at the Kentucky Speedway. My guess is they eventually had to curtail production due to more widespread shortages.
Yep, those are the type reports I saw over here near Paducah.

There were drone and helicopter shots showing thousands of them, all makes and models.

Everybody was saying there would be "fire sales" and "blowout sales" once the chip production caught up, but I never saw a bunch of NOS trucks for sale anywhere. I guess they sold them to somebody.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yep, those are the type reports I saw over here near Paducah.

There were drone and helicopter shots showing thousands of them, all makes and models.

Everybody was saying there would be "fire sales" and "blowout sales" once the chip production caught up, but I never saw a bunch of NOS trucks for sale anywhere. I guess they sold them to somebody.
damn, that is right. i had forgotten about that due to everything else going on since, but yeah...i remember seeing that and thinking that there would end up being a giant surplus of vehicles and that the prices would be low as a result.

that def would affect the overland crowd if nice vehicles were available for 1/2 of what they are going for now..

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ford did, for a while. They had thousands of trucks parked at the Kentucky Speedway.
I'm actually surprised but not.
Someone had to make the decision to keep producing while missing computers (one or more). The chip shortage effected almost all of the computers in the vehicle, not just the PCM. That means pulling apart interiors, digging out ABS.......
I work with modern vehicles from the training stand point. I would so not want to install those afterword's.
The workers are trained from an assembly point of view not repair. You will need trained people and an environment to not just install but program and diagnose if there were an issue. Part of the vehicle assembly process includes running the engine to ensure there's no internal problems.

The logistics around doing that afterword's make my head hurt.

Last edited: