US West So I am in SF and going to a Jamboree in AZ March 6th and want to do the Badge of Honor trails in SoCal on the way... so.... help?

• HTML tutorial

klongjackson

Rank I

Traveler I

Tennessee
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Long
Member #

Completely lost as to how to determine what overland options are along the way. I would like to start by just piggybacking on routes other folks did- and can't even figure out how to make that work. I can do all the things- I just don't know how to plan the stuff. :)

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I never heard of the Badge of Honor Trails until your post so I looked it up, I guess it is a Jeep Thang :-) (I drive a Toyota). I have done all the ones in CA except for the Dusy Ershim.

I map all of my routes on Google for highways and Garmin Bascamp for off-road. You could also use an app like Gaia. Gold Mountain, Holcomb Creek and Jon Bull are in the San Bernardino Mountains in the big bear area, So I would do that first and then head to Anza Borrego to do the Pinyon Mountain Road. There is lots of other things to see in Big Bear and Anza Borrego. For the trails in Big Bear I would start with Gold Mountain, then John Bull and then Holcomb Creek. If you start early and don't get stuck or broke down you could do them in one day.

klongjackson

Rank I

Traveler I

Tennessee
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Long
Member #

@DMS1 Hey thanks man. Don't worry about what gang you are in. I am totally bi, I own a Jeep and a Tacoma. That is what that means right? Pretty sure its right...

Do you use the Overlandbound map and app stuff at all?

spazegun2213

Rank V

Advocate I

San Diego
First Name
ross
Last Name
miller
Member #

like @DMS1 I use google maps, and then see what parks, BLM, and other land I'm driving by. Its a pretty manual effort looking at OB, alltrails, trailsoffroad, and other sites for routes, and info about them.

Thus far about the only thing I wasn't prepared for was Schnebly Hill with just how rocky it was.... I don't think I'd list it as "moderate" but most people do.

Again YMMV... but there are lots of resources, you just need to comb through them.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
@DMS1 Hey thanks man. Don't worry about what gang you are in. I am totally bi, I own a Jeep and a Tacoma. That is what that means right? Pretty sure its right...

Do you use the Overlandbound map and app stuff at all?
I am older, so I don't like using apps on my phone due to bad eye sight, so I have not downloaded the overland bound app yet. Maybe I will try it on my tablet some day.

klongjackson

Rank I

Traveler I

Tennessee
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Long
Member #

Dude I am the same way. People ask "why don't you just use your phone" and I am like... because its tiny and awkward and just because you can doesn't mean you should! NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!