So do you mount anything UNDER your roof bars?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

JeffnMar

Rank I

Contributor II

Oregon
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

So I just installed a rooftop tent on our 2019 Subaru outback. I upgraded to Yakima bar’s and risers since the Suby stock bars Are not really meant to carry more than 150 pounds. As you can tell by the attached picture I have plenty of room underneath the roof top tent which is wasted space , so I was thinking of mounting something under the bars To help with storage... So couple of ideas I am thinking about is adding some Rotopacks for fuel/water ( weight might be a concern though ), Or some larger PVC pipe to hold fishing poles or gear. I have roughly 8 inches of clearance which makes it nice when taking the tent off and saving a bloody knuckle or two .

Any ideas are welcome and I’m curious if anybody else has taken this approach, seems backwards I know, but would like to utilize the space.

:yum:

JeffnMar

Rank I

Contributor II

Oregon
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Good call on the shower !,,, never thought of that ...

JeffnMar

Rank I

Contributor II

Oregon
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I like the table idea and the solar panels , less weight than rotopax water / shower set up .

Why does Water have to weigh so fricking much ... LOL

emulous74

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Austin, TX, USA
Member #

I have the Alu-Cab load bars mounted on top of my tent, I've attached the Alu-Cab load bar tray in-between the load bars, underneath is a table mount w/table. The tray is a nice addition in that if you can mount items to the tray from the top or bottom, this still allows you to use the load bars, let's say a bicycle on one side and wolf-packs on the other side.

Last edited: