So-Cal camping July 4th weekend

• HTML tutorial

ROCTANK

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Boston, MA
Member #

I'd like to know too! Open to any secluded spots in So. Cal. Hoping to find something more mountainous than desert.

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

I'm located at Camp Pendleton. But I was trying to camp at Crab Flats for the 4th of July weekend but can't reserve anything there or anywhere else in so cal pretty much. So now i just want to take my family camping. Any ideas???
if you are ok with dispersed camping, Thomas Mountain or Toro Peak may be your best bet. Both are easy dirt road in off the highway and have yellow post sites. There are a couple of sites with pit toilets, but that is about all you will find on either mountain. Being a holiday, it will probably still be busy, but not anywhere near the traffic you will find in Big Bear

Reactions: BUGOUT_JK_USMC

BUGOUT_JK_USMC

Rank III

Traveler III

Modesto, Stanislaus County, California, United States
First Name
Victor
Last Name
Costello
Service Branch
MARINE CORPS
if you are ok with dispersed camping, Thomas Mountain or Toro Peak may be your best bet. Both are easy dirt road in off the highway and have yellow post sites. There are a couple of sites with pit toilets, but that is about all you will find on either mountain. Being a holiday, it will probably still be busy, but not anywhere near the traffic you will find in Big Bear
Thank you for the advice I appreciate it. No for the road to toro peak how easy is it. Just because I have a buddy and he's driving a Toyota Camry and another is driving a van. Lol. Just curious so I can give them a heads up.

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it. No for the road to toro peak how easy is it. Just because I have a buddy and he's driving a Toyota Camry and another is driving a van. Lol. Just curious so I can give them a heads up.
In good weather either road should be fine. They are just dirt roafs, nothing technical but they will need to pay attention to random rocks or holes. The area looks a lot like the Big Bear area, but there are no services

BUGOUT_JK_USMC

Rank III

Traveler III

Modesto, Stanislaus County, California, United States
First Name
Victor
Last Name
Costello
Service Branch
MARINE CORPS
In good weather either road should be fine. They are just dirt roafs, nothing technical but they will need to pay attention to random rocks or holes. The area looks a lot like the Big Bear area, but there are no services
Awesome just might do that than. How about small camp fire?? Or possible shooting. Any signs or posts against it there?

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

If the weather cools down a bit we might head out to death valley for 4th of july. Alot of nice shooting areas and camp areas with no neighbors for miles.

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

A couple of water jugs and a steel plate and you'll have fun with a 12g. We usually go explore the trails inside death valley national park. Since there is no shooting allowed anywhere in the park you have to find blm land and it's free to shoot there. There's a place near death valley that we go to called panamint Springs. Find any dirt road leading away from buildings and once you find a nice open area shoot away.

ROCTANK

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Boston, MA
Member #

Hey @BlkWgn, good tip on Thomas Mountain. Got there Saturday morning, most spots were still open. Scored a sweet spot that overlooked the lake. Nice secluded site. Glad I ran into this thread.

IMG_1927.jpg