Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

Hey folks! It's about that time of year again where trip planning needs to go an extra step to insure safety during snow travel. I wanted to post up a small 10 item list of things that I take with me through the higher-elevation cities, and I'd like you to add on what you usually take! Maybe we can all be a little more prepared and safer this winter!

My Gear:
1. Ice Scraper
2. De-Icer fluid
3. Sleeping bag
4. MSR Whisperlite Stove
5. 2 Freeze-Dried meals
6. Metal cup (for melting snow to drink)
7. Roadside Flares
8. Snacks (usually have some stuff to munch on for boredoms sake)
9. Water
10. GPS

Items for consideration:
1. Snow chains (I have 35" all terrains that have deep tread)
2. PLB (Im too broke for one)
3. Spare Fuel
4. Snatch Strap/ Tow Rope (when Im not taking a long road trip, I like to help pull people out of ditches)
5. Kitty Litter
6. Extra clothes

What all do you guys/girls carry with you during snowy weather? I'm getting ready to go through Estes Park, and Vail on Monday, and the weather is looking snowy!!!

Safe wheeling

Reactions: Nftyper

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I would make the chains a definite. I have been in situations in snow where the deep tread was useless. Chains always work.

For the sake of anyone who is looking to take sand instead of kitty litter, make sure it is DRY sand. Much of the sand sold at home centers is wet. Once you reach the elevations where you are likely to need it you will find you have a nice solid block of sand which is not likely to be useful.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Yes shovels are good, no matter the type. Also, a portable battery bank for your phone. I agree with Anak. Using kitty litter in the wet stuff isn't a great idea since most of it is made from clay which would make things worse if it gets wet.

Reactions: mrseth

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

+1 for snow chains. Key importance. Best to get really rugged snow chains, as the cheap cable style ones don't hold up as well off road. They will work, but not as good as the rugged, heavy duty ones.

I have the cheap cable ones because I'm poor lol

Reactions: JCWages and mrseth

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Tire pressure gauge and a compressor . Tires of any kind even studded tires are half worthless at street pressure. It’s not something you can bring with you but take the time to practice driving in the snow so you can learn the difference between fluffy dry snow and wet turns to ice as soon as you drive on it snow. They are two different animals that take a different approach to drive on it safely

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
I'm lucky enough to have automatic snow chains but i still carry a shovel.
A long-handled ice chipper.
A good pair of fleece lined work gloves
Plus both kinds of emergency food......Mars bars and Snickers.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I carry all the above, but would say that you need to carry a good set of chains even with 35” tires, I carry 2 sets, of snow chains. Vance.
38335642-DB0E-4258-BE94-B319CD8FC567.jpegC6CDAC60-A8BE-41B8-BD50-116865817DAA.jpeg7B31BFBF-9C83-4F35-B788-0CF286C238C4.jpeg

Reactions: JCWages

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Throw your old jacket that you no longer wear in the rig. I have seen more than one person stuck and ill prepared to doing anything about it because they lacked the ability to stay warm. It’s sounds like a no brained but I myself have been stuck in a tee shirt and jeans a few blocks from the house on a quick run to the store. Old coat would have been better than no coat.

Black Swamp Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ohio, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Raines
Member #

Shovel
Carhartt bibs
Insulted work gloves
Hat
Old pair of boots with wool socks (I always try to have the right shoes on but I know someday I'll end up on a trip with just my sneakers packed, our in the Sierra's with just flip flops [emoji3])

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Shovel
Carhartt bibs
Insulted work gloves
Hat
Old pair of boots with wool socks (I always try to have the right shoes on but I know someday I'll end up on a trip with just my sneakers packed, our in the Sierra's with just flip flops [emoji3])
I to, also have to yell obscenities at my work gloves every winter morning before they get warm.

Reactions: ZRex

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Good list all! I bring a max trax for the heck of it. I should look into chains.
I've had mixed success with traction boards in snow. The cold temps make the tires and the boards very hard and grip is lacking. It's still good to have them especially for bridging. A good bottle jack with lots of extention can be a huge help too. Trucks like to get high centered so using a bottle jack to lift the truck and stick boards, logs, rocks, branches etc., under the tires can make a huge difference in getting unstuck. Last year I could have easily gotten out of a jam or 2 if I had a longer bottle jack! I'll be getting a new one for this snow season that extends at least 19" tall and I'll carry some 2x4 blocks to act as extenders if needed. Desperate times call for desperate measures. lol

Always keep some high energy snacks in the rig too..... This would have been a great Snickers ad.

A good chainsaw is a good idea too. Besides clearing downed trees you can use it to cut up fallen branches to stick under your tires when stuck in deep ruts or high centered.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I've had mixed success with traction boards in snow. The cold temps make the tires and the boards very hard and grip is lacking. It's still good to have them especially for bridging. A good bottle jack with lots of extention can be a huge help too. Trucks like to get high centered so using a bottle jack to lift the truck and stick boards, logs, rocks, branches etc., under the tires can make a huge difference in getting unstuck. Last year I could have easily gotten out of a jam or 2 if I had a longer bottle jack! I'll be getting a new one for this snow season that extends at least 19" tall and I'll carry some 2x4 blocks to act as extenders if needed. Desperate times call for desperate measures. lol

Always keep some high energy snacks in the rig too..... This would have been a great Snickers ad.

A good chainsaw is a good idea too. Besides clearing downed trees you can use it to cut up fallen branches to stick under your tires when stuck in deep ruts or high centered.
All good ideas! I'm sticking to the highway lol. I will have better luck finding Ding Dongs.

• Haha
Reactions: Anak and JCWages

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Recovery strap. Up here we got a store called princess auto, I imagine you got the same, but get a 10,000lb recovery strap and a buddy with a tow point and sometimes you can save yourself a monster tow truck fee if you dont have a winch. And if the budget/space allows a manual come along with the same rating.

Also toss in a few candles with a pop can. Should you end up in the worst case, you can keep the cab of the rig above freezing with a single candle, just crack a window for airflow, you can save the battery and fuel remaining for when you really need it.