Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Do you use them? Front or rear tires. I have a 2014 trail edition with 33 inch tires
Great question.

I lived in Snowmass & Golden, CO for 8+yrs and never had them. I was a bit younger then and had a Chevy Silverado 1500 with BFG AT’s and never had chains. Got stuck and off the road a few times, but recovered with a shovel and blankets.

Now I just moved to WA and am wondering the same thing. Especially since I’m older and with kids. Some passes through the cascades ask you to chain up. My f250 powers through but I still wonder the same.

I assume no, but WA seems so much icier than CO that im leaning towards having a set just in case. Couldn’t hurt, right?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

99% of the time rear chains are all you need..... ps with rear chains it might steer and pull better in 2WD.

You need to be on a logging spur to need 4WD plus chains on all 4 tires, I carry them when I go into back country lodges to service their heating systems.... I carry chains for my work trailer on those trips too. But I rarely need them

Buy real chains, not WalMart specials. Buy the correct size, and mount them TIGHT.

Last point, only use them as long as you need them and limit your speed to 25mph which is the Foresrty, National Parks speed limit chained up in tne USA.

DSCN1941.jpeg

Last edited:

dpsmedic

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

NorCal
Member #

Do you use them? Front or rear tires. I have a 2014 trail edition with 33 inch tires
Looks like you are from California, you may never need them, but you are required to carry them (chains/traction control devices). If inspected, you could be turned around at chain control points.

Chain Controls / Chain Installation | Caltrans

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
In Europe, it is partly the case that chains must be carried, and partly (often indicated by signs) that their use is compulsory on individual stretches of road. I always have a pair of good chains in the rig, just in case. They can also be helpful in the mud or the like. But when we go north in winter where the road conditions can be very wintry, I use studded winter tires.

Reactions: Scottjeep

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
What qualifies as a snow tire? I live in California and have never actually ever used chains? If chains are required and you have 4wd and off-road tires like the trail grapplers do they still make you put on chains? - ie are the M/T tires snow tires?

dpsmedic

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

NorCal
Member #

What qualifies as a snow tire? I live in California and have never actually ever used chains? If chains are required and you have 4wd and off-road tires like the trail grapplers do they still make you put on chains? - ie are the M/T tires snow tires?
Even with 4WD you are required to carry Chains, or Traction Control Devices if your vehicle manufacturer indicates you can not use chains. If for some reason they ask you when driving a 4WD if you have them and you say no, you will be turned around at Chain Control Points.

There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:
  • Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions. (*typically they close the roadway before R3 is declared.)
1 Snow-tread Tires: The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, "A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

2 Tire Traction Devices: The California Vehicle Code, Section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows: "Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."1400F18F-DEFB-44CA-8DBF-895DFE99BD93.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottjeep

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Thank you for the comprehensive and helpful information. Clears up my understanding of the terminology for sure!

net-net - Carry chains or expect to go the long way round!

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

if you are talking about the 4Runner, I have you same exact truck and tires setup. I'm also in the process to get a set of chain for when off-roading this winter. I did some research and I think I'm gonna go with either

Peerless Auto-Trac

or

Security Chain Company Quik Grip

Probably the second ones, they seem a bit more heavy duty.