US West Snow Camping within 2-3 hours from Vacaville/ Sacramento - Campground or Dispersed

• HTML tutorial

VirajH2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Rajiv
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Hello, Looking for a destination within 3 hours from Vacaville/ Sacramento that i can get snow and do an overnight camping. Do you know of any campground that may be open. Would be nice to just wake up to snow on Christmas day... Would like to avoid popular destinations like Truckee or Lake Tahoe... hopefully something before the chain controls. Im open to cabins or hotel recommendation as well... Let me know also of other snow places i can go even if its not this weekend. Im planning to go Friday Morning and return Saturday Morning.
Traveling with a 5 year old and he loves the snow ....

Before i do get crap... just want to put out there that I'm in a Hummer H2, I do have a SmittyBilt Winch, The Genuine Maxtrax (for all 4 tires), tow ropes, Spotx communicator, shovel, ice scraper and a pair of tire chains. Gaia and On-X subscription, regular Garmin GPS. For comfort i have a CVT Rooftop, with Tent Insulation and weather protector, Mr Heater Buddy, another Propane heater, and 0 deg sleeping bags. (2 things im missing which i should get before the trip is Air Compressor and snatch block - anything else recommended for safety)

If anyone want to join or has plans that i can join let me know. I dont guarantee the trip will happen this weekend as weather conditions are changing. But it would be nice to have information from the group. When sharing please also let me know what i should watch out for.

Mendocino Ranger Station said Snow Mountain Wilderness maybe my best bet on Stoneyford side. Anyone been there recently or any tips for there.

Again Thank you in advance for all your inputs. I have SNOW tent camped at Lassen (Lake Manzanita) and Kings Canyon Nation when i was young and dumb... but now want to be prepared as Im with my son.

VirajH2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Rajiv
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Hello all quick update on this. I stayed home last weekend as it snowed in the sierra. Following CHP, Caltran, rescue and other FB pages to seeing the news from the area.
I did find lots of mention about Uncle Tom's cabin which i have put on my list for a summer run. Locals are not happy right now with everything going on.
Also found Bowman lake road. i did the trail all the way to Faucherie Lake on Memorial Day weekend 2021. I will try the snow run but not all the way.
Any other place you recommend for overnight camping in the snow.