Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I keep getting asked, why don’t you snow camp or go on snow wheeling trips. We learned our lesson in our twenties that it was just not fun to be cold for that long of a time. Pic from a northern ID trip around 1978 in winter.
CF7F8C9D-647B-4995-8E0F-1FEFBFEA0145.jpeg

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Great picture!

I did not camp in the snow until I was in my twenties and living in Colorado. Both times were kind of surprises. One of those two times was the first weekend in July. But, we were up around 10,000 feet!

Good times!

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Great picture and good times Indeed...
It looks that u are passionate jeep rider, who doest bother about weather.Is that true?
Bad weather/conditions are just necessary distractions during an adventure. Sometimes there is no way to avoid an issue so I make sure I am prepared.

One thing I dont do is to seek out snow, mud, sand & "ICE" just for the fun of it. Not that this is a bad thing, I have lots of friends that love to go to the snow to push the limits. Just not my thing ;-)

Reactions: El-Dracho

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I love snow camping less people , no bugs , silence that only a hood layer of snow brings and on clear days the views are amazing. a good below zero sleeping bag and I wear light layers to bed and stay comfy and warm . On the other hand I hardly camp in the summer for the opposite reasons , heat , bugs , people , dust .

Silverback_Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Gaines
Member #

Definitely prefer winter camping over summer. Usually… I find that the folks who passionately do camp… but loathe winter camping… are usually poorly prepared for the hostile and I climate conditions. It isn’t for everyone… but if you aren’t prepared for it in the first place… mentally and physically… then yeah… it’s gonna be the worst. That could be said about camping in general, though.

Attachments

Crfracer47

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sonoma County, CA, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Stockton
I love snow camping (don't get to do it enough), though I can understand why many don't. My biggest problem with it is finding other people to go too, and getting out there as a solo vehicle is just too dangerous in my book. Best to have at least 1 other rig to make an escape (pulled out, leave one behind, whatever escape means at that moment) if necessary. And I just don't know enough people in my area (yet) that are willing to go get cold.

Tried to go about a month ago and got in a little deeper than we should have solo. Was a little hesitant as we started out since we were a solo rig, but we went anyways. Got a little stuck, fortunately had cell service (and a Garmin InReach if it got really bad), and was able to get a little advice from a friend and made it out unscathed (mostly, dinged the corner of the truck a little) but wet. Should have listened to my gut, but then I wouldn't have a story, so...worth it?
IMG_3284.JPG IMG_3285.JPGIMG_3286.JPG IMG_3287.JPG

I know it doesn't look that bad (and it really wasn't) but we had already spent about 1.5 hrs digging ourselves out of a different pickle, and were mentally and physically exhausted by this point.
IMG_3295.JPG
Still got our Christmas Trees the next day. All's well that ends well.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve done a fair amount while backpacking a million years ago. I don’t seek it anymore either.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I used to do minimalist camping but havnt had time since I had my kids... well since the whole crew had kids lol.
Now I look at how much work it is when I get home , having to dry everything out, air out the smoke smell... i just don't have the time. Now winter for me is mainly time to work on projects, build new stuff, fix old stuff .... I did buy a deisel heater in hopes of getting out this year but I have been told by the wife it's unlikely lol. The plan was to build a trailer over the winter to use for summer/fall and maybe the odd winter camping trip...that hasn't happened lol.

Attachments

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I’ve always enjoyed snow camping but SoCal seems to forget that winter exists ‍♂

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I like winter and snow camping very much. You have to be very well prepared for these conditions, that is really important. And then you are often rewarded for the effort by fantastic winter landscapes, great sunsets and maybe even beautiful northern lights.

I also understand that this is not everyone's cup of tea and everyone should do the trips they enjoy the most. A few more winter impressions...

Sonnenuntergang.JPG

Winterlandschaft.jpg

Arctic Adventures 010.JPG

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I do not mind snow or rain for that matter, the biggest issue is drying out the RTT. But as I can sleep in the Discovery, and they tend to be only 1or 2 nights it is not too bad.

The diesel heater made things much better as far as being nice and cozy in the back.

The biggest issues here on the southwest coast of Canada is avalanche dangers and a thaw/freeze cycle that can make an easy drive in a nightmare out as a result of 2 conditions:
  • ice under slimy wet snow makes hills and off camber interesting
  • or a hard crust with snow like sugar underneath, zero traction in that stuff, and just for fun a solid chuck in the center of the road to get high centered on

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
I like winter and snow camping very much. You have to be very well prepared for these conditions, that is really important. And then you are often rewarded for the effort by fantastic winter landscapes, great sunsets and maybe even beautiful northern lights.

I also understand that this is not everyone's cup of tea and everyone should do the trips they enjoy the most. A few more winter impressions...

View attachment 248006

View attachment 248007

View attachment 248008
Beautiful...almost gives me goosebumps ; )

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I teach a winter camping course and talk about a lot of ways to make it more enjoyable. I will say I rarely encounter a bunch of snow (anything over 6" is abnormal) in the midwest to where it is not an adventure or it unenjoyable. Elsewhere in the country may be the exception. Apart from the cold and added struggles of the extreme elements, I honestly prefer winter camping over summer. Less people, no bugs, different views from the norm, especially with snow cover, and more ability to sit and relax. When the weather and conditions are ideal/warmer, I'm always wanting to be on the "go" rather than sit and fully enjoy my break from reality. I'd much rather set up somewhere for a weekend or longer with a giant pile of wood for the firepit, good/hearty food, warm and adult beverages to enjoy, a good book, and maybe some of my bushcrafting gear to play around with that. I'll take the extra warm clothes and sleep system to be comfortable. Honestly, some of my favorite adventures have come out of winter camping and exploration.